WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
gag. what's the point of the whole current diamonds on the case craze in general? fine on a woman's watch, but for men? not so much.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
It's interesting to see our beloved tool watches crossing over to the hip-hop culture. I'd never own one, I do like the look, it's different :-d

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about a hublot big bang covered in diamond? Awful. I dont get it. Diamonds just ruin the tactical look of the watch.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
...I dont get it....
I do, it is a watch that is "not for you". Thank God, it takes all types or this world would be boring.

I'd never own it, not a rock person, I can understand why some folks do. Sheesh, I can't even wear the shiny mesh bracelet I bought for my Marcello C Classic GMT, the bling grabs my eye (hey, maybe that why the hip-hop types like this stuff).

Have you ever seen the work required to do the diamond bling right? It's a precision process as difficult as making a fine movement.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
First off, I admire the skill it takes. I also admire the skull that Damien Hirst created/comissioned which is adorned with 1200 diamonds set in pure platinum at 180 million dollars.

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/06/02/damien-hirsts-diamon.html

I think its CONTRADICTORY to adorn a TOOL WATCH with jewels. If it was a rolex yachtmaster, I wouldent feel this way. Its a pilots watch, based on cockpit instrumentation. Adding diamonds to it is ridiculous.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Holy Sh*t thats BAD (as in not good) That is olny for people who have something to prove, ie: have to much $$$ to spend. B&R prob didnt make it,or did they? Trying to get more sales? I think they gave in if so, IMHO

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
There´s no point to this...yikes!

·
Registered
749 Posts
My guess is it is not marketed as much to hip hop culture as it is to guys who wear white robes to work and have prince or sheik in their title. Just a guess...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think some diamonds are OK.

Heck, even wedding rings for men have diamonds in them now. I am kind of warming up to them.

I might not get something super blingy but I certainly might consider a watch with a little diamond bling in the future. I was looking at Rolex today and quite a few had them and looked quite nice.

Maybe not an every day watch, but still nice.

Now that Bell & Ross is a little bit overdone.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
What's the point of being bothered by other folk's tastes?

·
Registered
534 Posts
There's not denying that you wear says something about yourself to the people you come into contact with. To a certain degree, that's why many of us chose to collect and wear the watches we have. Honestly, what does that B&R say about the person wearing it?

S

·
0 Posts
Well, would perfectly fit with a Hummer or F 360....

.....and there´s a market for those watches !

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
To show off and say they can do it too.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I think some diamonds are OK...I was looking at Rolex today and quite a few had them and looked quite nice....
I have a golf friend who owns a gold Sub with small diamonds on the face indices. I was surprised how nice it looked. This guy isn't a hip-hop bling master by any stretch, he's a big time finance, never back down, in your face kinda guy. Again, not for me, I do think it looks good.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
To show off and say they can do it too.
Does anyone that doesn't use their free cell phone clock fall under this cloud? I wear a different watch every day, all cost between $700-$2,400. When I need a beater I wear a Seiko that retails for $450. If folks at work figure this out, they'll know I'm crazy.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well, would perfectly fit with a Hummer or F 360....

.....and there´s a market for those watches !
The Ferrari owner? No way. Had two myself, belonged to the local club, watch of the day was Rolex (steel or gold, no diamonds), Breitling, etc. Not quite "tool", but definitely not "bling".

Now, that Hummer H2 owner with the 26-inch DUB chromes with spinners - you betcha!!! :-!:-!:-!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts