WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Fiddy 1950 PAM127 was around $10-13k only a couple of months back. But just the last few weeks I noticed they were going for $20k-25k!!!:-s:-s:-s

What is the reason behind? Maybe I did not get the catch or read about it recently? :think::think:

Anyone?

PS: Oh so is the PAM217 too! Why?

·
4,071 Posts
I dunno, Jacky. Personally I think the prices for the Fiddy and 217 are way too high right now and the people buying now are going to be sad in a year or two when the prices "correct" themselves.

47mm is too big for me, anyway. ;-)

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I think it's due to the brand getting more exposure than it used to and thus is becoming more mainstream and higher demand. The prices are getting too crazy for Panerai for me anymore. I guess I got lucky when I got in a few years back and I've had several models, but now they are getting out of my price range for the brand. :-( I still have several on my wish list, but it would take for me to bite the bullet and drop $6-7K on a model that uses an ETA off the shelf movement and a case design that's been reused year after year, kind of reminds me of Rolex; jacking up prices 2x a year, old design with new higher prices, at least Rolex uses an in-house movement for $4-5K, not $3-8K on a ETA. <|

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's due to the brand getting more exposure than it used to and thus is becoming more mainstream and higher demand. The prices are getting too crazy for Panerai for me anymore. I guess I got lucky when I got in a few years back and I've had several models, but now they are getting out of my price range for the brand. :-( I still have several on my wish list, but it would take for me to bite the bullet and drop $6-7K on a model that uses an ETA off the shelf movement and a case design that's been reused year after year, kind of reminds me of Rolex; jacking up prices 2x a year, old design with new higher prices, at least Rolex uses an in-house movement for $4-5K, not $3-8K on a ETA. <|
I do agree with you.

But why the PAM127 and PAM217? And not the rest??? There must be a REASON behind. Really, only 2-3 months back there were selling for $10k-12k, and now DOUBLED!!!:rodekaart

Rolex is gradually rising and it applies to all the models including those vintages pieces. PANERAI prices increased too but NOT all their models. For those 2 Fiddys, it is not increased, it is ROCKETED!!!:-x

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I do agree with you.

But why the PAM127 and PAM217? And not the rest??? There must be a REASON behind. Really, only 2-3 months back there were selling for $10k-12k, and now DOUBLED!!!:rodekaart

Rolex is gradually rising and it applies to all the models including those vintages pieces. PANERAI prices increased too but NOT all their models. For those 2 Fiddys, it is not increased, it is ROCKETED!!!:-x
They were always popular models and since the are LE watches there aren't any flooding the market. I'm sure someone stuck it out there to see who would bite at that price and now everyone is doing the same. I see WTB offers all the time on these models, so pretty much anyone can name their price. If you notice the 187 price keeps creeping up too. I'm sure that will get crazy as time goes on, same is true for the 233, they jumped $2K in about a week. :-( All models have been going up in price, the AD's are doing regular price increases bi-annually on all models, so I don't see them getting any cheaper any time soon. Most people think that because the price of NIB goes up it means their 2 year old model is worth NIB prices. ;-)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They were always popular models and since the are LE watches there aren't any flooding the market. I'm sure someone stuck it out there to see who would bite at that price and now everyone is doing the same. I see WTB offers all the time on these models, so pretty much anyone can name their price. If you notice the 187 price keeps creeping up too. I'm sure that will get crazy as time goes on, same is true for the 233, they jumped $2K in about a week. :-( All models have been going up in price, the AD's are doing regular price increases bi-annually on all models, so I don't see them getting any cheaper any time soon. Most people think that because the price of NIB goes up it means their 2 year old model is worth NIB prices. ;-)
Ok Ok I will find a limited model and sell at market price!;-)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Don't forget to the Euro vs. US dollar. As the dollar gets weaker against the Euro, US prices go up. That is only part of it though for this topic.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't forget to the Euro vs. US dollar. As the dollar gets weaker against the Euro, US prices go up. That is only part of it though for this topic.
True!|> But what is the main thing that jack it up almost TWICE?:think: Surely the Euro is not double the rate of USD right now? Maybe it is up by a mere 15% or so. So if a 127 was selling for $10k-12k, it would mean 15% more now for $11.5k-13.8k. But it is $20-$25k now!o|

1 - 9 of 9 Posts