WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are you not to use the quick date adjustment between the hours of 9pm and 3AM on a lot of mechanical watches?

What could it damage? If you do it once with the hands between those hours are you sure to damage something?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I am sure someone more qualified could comment, but I think that is just a recommendation to help avoid possible damage to the movement. I don't know about using the quick-set specifically, but If you are adjusting the time, I think as long as you are moving it "forward" there shouldn't really be a problem.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,256 Posts
Why are you not to use the quick date adjustment between the hours of 9pm and 3AM on a lot of mechanical watches?

What could it damage? If you do it once with the hands between those hours are you sure to damage something?

Thanks.
There are some watches that will not be damaged by setting between those hours. There are many more watches that according to the owner manual can be damaged. The advice given on this forum about avoiding those hours is only for those of us who don't read the owners manual for their watch.

The damage would be to the teeth that are engaged to rotate the date wheel.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I am certainly no expert, but as I understand it, the internal date-change mechanism is engaged during those hours, and it may not be a good idea to quick change the date at the same time. Of course, each watch is different as to when the mechanism engages and when the date finishes changing, so the 9p-3a is meant to provide a big enough window to prevent damaging the movement.

D

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
The mechanism can become engaged during those hours, so winding the time backwards can damage the date change mechanism. Winding the time forward will have zero impact, as it will only expedite the date change process.
As far as changing the date during those hours goes: IIRC, unless you force it, you cant really change the date manually.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If you've got a quick set date feature on your watch, you most definitely can damage the watch if you change it while the mechanism is engaged. When I first bought my IWC Fleiger (used), I was so anxious to wear it, that the first thing I did was set the time and date... and managed to break the watch. Off to IWC for repair, and five hundred dollars later, I had my watch back. Believe me, I'm cautious now. :-s

·
Banned
300 Posts
If you've got a quick set date feature on your watch, you most definitely can damage the watch if you change it while the mechanism is engaged. When I first bought my IWC Fleiger (used), I was so anxious to wear it, that the first thing I did was set the time and date... and managed to break the watch. Off to IWC for repair, and five hundred dollars later, I had my watch back. Believe me, I'm cautious now. :-s

I wish your post would be generated every thing some one says don't worry about it :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What happens to the watch when it breaks in this case?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I wish your post would be generated every thing some one says don't worry about it :)
It still wouldnt make it true.

I dug up my breitling manual just to quote this exactly for anybody wondering:

"mechanical watches endowed with a date, day, month or moonphase indicator are uqiuipped with a complex mechanism that is set into motion between 8 pm and 3 am. It is therefore vital to avoid adjusting the calendar or moving the time backwards during this period" [emphasis added]

There is also a diagram with a little warning picture telling you to only wind it forward during 20h and 3h.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Yes, I'm lying to you... whatever you read in the Breitling instructions is true for every watch ever made. Don't listen to me. :-|
Its true for ETA movements, and most other movements that are prevalent around here.

Its simple, really. When you wind the time forward, all youre doing is fast-forwarding the time and date. You are not doing anything that the movement wouldnt be doing on its own. Backwards is another story.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found this post, by lysanderxii. I found it insightful. I hope he doesn't mind me reposting it...
lysanderxiii said:
The pawl that moves the date wheel moves into the path of the date dial gear teeth about four hours prior to date change, and moves out of the gear path about an hour after the date change. Using the quick-set to move the date when the date dial gear teeth are in the path of the date change pawl has the potential of damaging the date dial gear or the pawl. On the more modern movements, such as the ETA 2800 series, the pawl is spring loaded so there may not be any permanently damaged to the movement, but sometimes it hangs up if you attempt to change the date during the 8PM to 1AM period. The same goes for the day wheel. In should be noted that the pawls that change the day and date on the ETA/Val 7750 are not spring loaded and permanent damage can occur if the quick-set is used during the 8 PM to 1 AM period.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts