WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post in the Panerai forum. I've been getting more and more enamored of this brand and am gearing up for a purchase in the next year or so. (Don't crucify me, but I picked up a homage just to see if I like the size and look and it seems to be agreeing with me.) :-!

I also bought a custom strap from BJ Strap that looks great. It is cut from an old ammo bag and has wonderful patina to it. But it got me thinking - what's the story behind all of these distressed and repurposed straps, anyway? Is this how the old Italian frogmen made straps for their watches? I'm interested in the history behind Panerai and am reading all I can find on that topic. But I'm not finding much to explain the straps. Any help? Thanks!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I can't speak to any particular history of doing this but I have a vintage ammo strap on the way for my Sinn. I ordered it from strapevolution.com because I thought it was a cool way to repurpose an old item. Not to mention it should make an awesome strap.

Wear yours in good health and post some pictures of it when you can.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
I don't think there's really a connection between the ammo straps and Panerai, other than often the leather is from the same period as the original vintage PAMs. And the ammo leather has a similar appearance to the leather straps supplied with vintage PAMs of that era. You just can't get that look and feel with new leather. Here's one on my 000.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

1 - 3 of 3 Posts