WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not knocking GMT complications. I just truly want to know how people use this feature. I have seen many GMT watches that I like. Haven't bought any since I don't really know what I would use the GMT function for. Please enlighten me.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
The general idea is to be able to tell time in two time zones (for those who can neither add nor subtract.) I, however, use the function to tell if my auto watch stopped at am or pm. It comes in handy when resetting the time the following day(s).

D

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 3 timezones Sinn, I need it to track time in 3 locations worldwide as the company I work for has operation in different parts of the world and I need to make sure I don't call them at the wrong time ;-)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have an Oris diver GMT Date. I use mine for the same. All of the IT systems use GMT and I use the second time to keep track of GMT at a glance. For me, the GMT feathure is one of the most useful on a watch. The other is the chronograph feature. Both are just darn useful complications that are not just for look in my book.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
GMT is not for the squeamish.

:)

Nice feature when I travel internationally and forget the time difference
(When you can set the hand manually, like on my Omega Flightmaster).

B

·
0 Posts
I have a GMT that I use because I support operations in different time zones

·
Registered
172 Posts
For me, the GMT feature is one of the most useful on a watch. The other is the chronograph feature. Both are just darn useful complications that are not just for look in my book.
Well, who am I to argue with that one...here's one of mine with both of these features

·
Banned
504 Posts
Well there's different types of GMT's there's your standard GMT that can track two or more usually three timezones, Then there's GMT's that can track 24 or more timezones. I own this Citizen world timer which I have to turn the crown at the 2'oclock position to read the time in another timezone, Unlike the Girard Perregaux ww.tc where all you have to do is set the time at the 9'oclock crown and it will keep track of all the 24 timezones. The patek Philippe 5130's 24 timezones is activated by pushing the button at the 10'oclock postion and the hands automatically jump to another timezone that the wearer chose's.:-!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Many people are involved in activities that are timed to a worldwide reference. Military activities, for example. Some hobbists also rely on GMT.

I'm an amateur radio operator. If I talk to someone in a different time zone, we both typically report the event as having occurred at a particular date-time in GMT (or UTC, same thing). It avoids a huge amount of confusion. Especially in international communications.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All makes sense now. Not sure it's useful for me but I'm glad it of use to others.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have GMT hand on my SMP GMT set to GMT and bezel to SE Asia time, because of I have business partners there. It saves time to recalculate what time they have now.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I prefer the 'hometime' implementation -- i.e. the second hour hand remains linked to the first when at the home timezone. When travelling, the main hour hand is adjusted to local time, is independently settable, and the date adjusts accordingly. The second hour hand remains on home timezone, and any day/night indicator should be controlled by the second hour hand. This is the implementation JLC adopts, for example.

·
Registered
472 Posts
just picked that one up, dang it's a sweet watch. IMO the best Chopard has to offer!!

I too have just bought one of these. Absolutely gorgeous...

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,622 Posts
I'm not knocking GMT complications. I just truly want to know how people use this feature. I have seen many GMT watches that I like. Haven't bought any since I don't really know what I would use the GMT function for. Please enlighten me.
To track time in two time zones. A watch that allows the 12 hour hand to be set independently of the minute and 24 hour hand and has a rotating 24 hour bezel allows the most flexibility.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Originally developed by Rolex in the early 50's.....

...for aircrew members to have a constant indication of.......you guessed it...GMT. GMT is the standard time reference for everything aviation.

I used mine that way for 6 years. A "GMT watch" is not a very good or efficient "Travel watch" because the typical one does not allow for independant main hour hand movement.

heb

·
Registered
37,143 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts