WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So recently I've been contemplating buying an affordable beater, like a Seiko turtle reissue, so that I've a watch I don't mind getting a bit scratched.

However, I can't help but thinking- what's the point of me owning more expensive tool watches, if I don't actually wear it outside the office? Surely then I'd have simply bought the watch as a mere piece of pretty jewelry, rather than for its sturdy craftsmanship.

So I'm curious- How much is your beater worth, and do you care if it get's scratched and dinged?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Unless I'm doing sport or other physical stuff like painting the house or working in the garden, I will wear whichever watch takes my fancy that day. I also don't have a fixed idea about what a "dress" watch should look like, so for me anything goes for pretty much any occasion. Of course I end up getting the odd scratch and ding, which I do care about (especially with PVD!) but if I didn't take this approach I'd never wear any of them. So i suppose for me value doesn't come into my decision about what watch to wear for general day to day stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Hey all,

So recently I've been contemplating buying an affordable beater, like a Seiko turtle reissue, so that I've a watch I don't mind getting a bit scratched.

However, I can't help but thinking- what's the point of me owning more expensive tool watches, if I don't actually wear it outside the office? Surely then I'd have simply bought the watch as a mere piece of pretty jewelry, rather than for its sturdy craftsmanship.

So I'm curious- How much is your beater worth, and do you care if it get's scratched and dinged?
That is kinda how I felt. My gshock used to be my go to, but since I got my rolex as my "dress" piece, my tag heuer aquaracer has now become my go anywhere do anything watch, fishing, the beach, the pool. What is the point of 500m of water resistance and a ceramic unscratchable bezel if it isn't going to be tested.

My father in law who isn't a watch guy and has only one watch, an 80's two tone submariner, he almost never takes that thing off. Whether its scuba diving, rigging rods, cutting up bait, working on his boat, anything he does that watch is on his wrist.

·
Registered
510 Posts
$38 dollars for my beater.
I don't care if it gets beat.
$300 for my "better beater" and I don't care if it gets beat either.

I care if my other watches get dinged and scratched. They are not beaters to me.
And I wear them often...

·
Registered
782 Posts
A vintage quartz Timex Expedition, 100 m water resistant (new ones are rated 50). Maybe worth $35? Has an aftermarket stainless bracelet that I like.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Until last summer my "beater" was a 40$ Casio. But I worked in the oil&gas field.
Then I changed job, and actually my beater is my Carrera re-issue.

I used the casio watch for just one reason: working with chemistry could destroy a watch in a minute. And you know... it's better to lose 40$ than 2500$. I don't mind about scratches, but I love to have my watch in just one piece! :)

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
For situations where wrist might hit pavement, or hard raw concrete might make rough contact with my arm, and so forth--one of a couple of G-Shocks (less than a hundred each), or my old standby, do anything, go anywhere watch, a Citizen Eco Drive (maybe $150 new?)--always on time, always ready for any challenge, and actually looks pretty good too.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I created a similar thread recently after the purchase of my Sinn U1 Pro here:

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=4502729

The first half of the responses convinced me to buy a G-Shock while the later pages made me regret my decision!

Since I've purchased the G-Shock the U1 has been getting practically no wrist time and I'm thinking about manning up and wearing what I love despite it's price tag.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I faced the same dilemma in the OP: wearing expensive, sturdy watches only at the office. And go cheap on the weekend because you want no damage. I'm happy with my beater since I found that piece that I like for its design and reliability, for being kind of rare now (discontinued model) yet not expensive. I wear it proudly and without any worries. That steel is just tough!

20170816_150003684_iOS.jpg

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Well this is my "beater" 20160801_115836_resized.jpg but that doesn't mean I want it destroyed. I didn't pay a ton for this watch and I take it off when working on my car or any other activity that could seriously damage it. I was replacing a wheel cylinder on my Mustang this past weekend and did not wear any watch. I do however wear it everyday to the office, on the boat, the golf course, the pool any place as its so versatile.

·
Read Only
7,342 Posts
The watches I will wear during pretty much anything are these 3:

I have other watches that could certainly handle any duty that I physically can, but for when I know I'll be engaging in more rough and tumble activities, these are my go-to watches.

·
Premium Member
71,209 Posts
Regardless of value all my watches get treated the same so I'm just as likely to mash my Timex Expedition up as I am my Daytona. Obviously, I don't wear my Rolex when I'm working on the car and the like but then again no watch deserves that sort of treatment so I go bare back.

·
Registered
946 Posts
My beaters run any where from a $100 to $350. I tend to float between two Seikos and two eco-drives. Depends if it's beat around the house or beat at work. I'll wear the tougher one at work since the possibility of shock and trauma at anytime.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Then again all my watches are in this price range so let's wear them all!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
$395. As TGV would say, it's "tool-tastic." Insane lume including the bezel, always readable, scratch resistant ceramic and sapphire. I wear it on a waterproof Chris Ward leather strap, and it's pretty much always on my wrist unless I specifically want to wear one of the others. Unlike my NTH, it's pretty easily replaced if it comes to that.

fov0k3u.jpg

·
Registered
287 Posts
All of my watches are cheap enough that they'd probably be considered beaters here.

I'd still be annoyed if they broke. So I'd probably take them off if I were doing anything which was likely to damage them, but other than that I'd just wear them.

I'd take them off for badminton...

... in case they broke my racket if I accidentally hit them. My racket costs more than my watch, lol.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is kinda how I felt. My gshock used to be my go to, but since I got my rolex as my "dress" piece, my tag heuer aquaracer has now become my go anywhere do anything watch, fishing, the beach, the pool. What is the point of 500m of water resistance and a ceramic unscratchable bezel if it isn't going to be tested.
This is exactly what I'm getting at. Why did I spend my cash on a diver with all these features if I won't wear it in the sea or hiking etc?

That said I also get why you wouldn't want to be too rough with something you've spent your hard earned cash on. As others have said I certainly wouldn't wear anything whilst working on a car or even gardening, as weirdly that seems to damage a lot of watches.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts