WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from selling it.

How badly have you ever physically damaged a watch?

I haven't really done anything to my new Hamilton, but I've only had it for a few months. I did manage to get a few dings in the bezel already, but nothing serious.

My old Shark watch however is a different story altogether. I used to wear it while hand mixing cement, I would drip huge blobs of paint on it, spray paint it, crush it between rocks and other heavy objects, etc. Basically, I wore it every day all the time, no matter what I was doing that day. But I think the worst thing I did to it was when I sprayed myself with bug spray while wearing it. The bug spray ate the plastic case and now the once smooth case has a very rough texture. It's weird because I have sprayed it with bugs pray before and it never had this effect. The watch still works fine.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I've had pretty good luck as far as accidental damage goes. The only damage done to a watch is when I was riding my bike down the sidewalk and decided to turn a little too sharply and I went over the handlebars, essentially scraping my Seiko 5 against the fence. Amazingly though it only left a small knick on the crystal and a small scratch on the bezel. I guess this speaks well for the hardlex used in Seiko's...

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
My wife pretty badly scuffed her Datejust against a brick restaurant wall.
A jeweler was able to buff it out nicely though.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My wife bought me a Marathon G-SAR for Christmas a couple of years ago. After wrapping it, she placed it in the Christmas tree, and to ensure it wouldn't fall off she wrapped a good few turns of the flashing Christmas tree lights around the package <|.

So I didn't get to wear my Christmas present until a couple of weeks into the new year as it took my watch-mender guy a few attempts before it was properly demagnetised :oops:.

Reactions: Sean Pizzle

·
Registered
817 Posts
I spent many years working in a professional color processing darkroom where frequently I had to perform "miracles" in completely dark conditions. One of those times, I was clearing a jam while film was running through the machine, and my watch strap got caught on a gear, and broke off, allowing my G-Shock to fall into the bottom of the (very caustic) bleach tank. I was however able to rescue the film.... Several days later, when we were able to PM (Preventative Maintenance) the processor, we found what was left of the watch at the bottom of the tank: some severely corroded small metal parts, several shreds of plastic, and I'm guessing, the crystal.

·
5,150 Posts
My wife pretty badly scuffed her Datejust against a brick restaurant wall.
A jeweler was able to buff it out nicely though.
I think Rolex have a type of magnetic attraction for brick walls. I scuffed up two of mine that way within a month of getting each of them. :-( Fortunately, as you point out, jewelers are able to buff 'em back into shape.

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
Oh boy...let's see, I have smashed the heck out of my 2 Casio beaters at gigs, direct hits with drumsticks (which not only isn't good for the watch but also hurts as well :-d), and bashed them off of PA equipment during load in and out of clubs. Other than scratched crystals and a bezel they have held up over 10 years of abuse. I bought a G-Shock last year as a replacement because one of them had no lume or backlight and it was hard to see in a dark club. Now it is my son's turn to beat that one up!

I also badly scratched the bezel of my orange Monster when rehearsing, I was doing hit and catch (choke) with my crash cymbals while playing "Four Day Creep" by Humble Pie and missed, scraping the Monster across my thin 17" crash cymbal. It left a nice deep gash in the brushed finish that I couldn't get out with anything o| I bought a replacement bezel though :-!

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
59 Posts
I received a Fossil skeleton watch several years ago for Christmas. And soon after, I lost interest in watch collecting for a time. The skeleton watch wound up in a basket full of cleaning bottles which we left in the bottom of our bathroom sink inside an enclosed space under the sink. There the watch stayed for quite a few years until i rediscovered it a few years ago. The watch looked terrible. Like it was all corroded. However, after wiping the watch off with a clean cloth, the metal work and the leather band looked good as new. I wound the watch and it started right up and still keeps pretty good time.

M&Q

·
Registered
474 Posts
Oh boy...let's see, I have smashed the heck out of my 2 Casio beaters at gigs, direct hits with drumsticks (which not only isn't good for the watch but also hurts as well :-d), and bashed them off of PA equipment during load in and out of clubs. Other than scratched crystals and a bezel they have held up over 10 years of abuse. I bought a G-Shock last year as a replacement because one of them had no lume or backlight and it was hard to see in a dark club. Now it is my son's turn to beat that one up!

I also badly scratched the bezel of my orange Monster when rehearsing, I was doing hit and catch (choke) with my crash cymbals while playing "Four Day Creep" by Humble Pie and missed, scraping the Monster across my thin 17" crash cymbal. It left a nice deep gash in the brushed finish that I couldn't get out with anything o| I bought a replacement bezel though :-!

Cheers,
Griff
Griff, been there! I haven't damaged a watch but I have whacked myself while playing. I've hit my leg (on the kneecap!) with a stick and hit my hand after missing the hats. Ouch!!!!!

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
MMT - where did you throw it? lol

My worst was forgetting a 1940's Concord in my pants pocket(?) and through the wash and dryer. For some reason the plastic crystal did not deform and I opened it up, a little heat lamp, and snapped the back on and it ran as well or poorly as before. The leather strap was also fine after some Harley leather protectant. Still have it and wear ift once in a while and it just keeps on ticking.

paul:-d

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
I put one in laquer thinner to get the paint overspray off it.the bezel insert melted.

·
Banned
3,600 Posts
Tried polishing an acrylic crystal on a older model Rolex submariner to get out some scratches and wasnt happy with the progress.

Got out the dremel and went to town!
By the time I was finished....well....it looked like that Dali painting where the watches are drooping over the edges of table and melting. The crystal was in the first phases of melting. Not a pretty sight!!!

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
Griff, been there! I haven't damaged a watch but I have whacked myself while playing. I've hit my leg (on the kneecap!) with a stick and hit my hand after missing the hats. Ouch!!!!!

That's how I hit the watch, missing the hats, ouch is right!

The worst though was when I was playing some particularly hard rimshots (darn guitar players turned it up to 11 and I couldn't hear) and missed and came down between my legs...

...we had to stop the song after that :-d

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Tried polishing an acrylic crystal on a older model Rolex submariner to get out some scratches and wasnt happy with the progress.

Got out the dremel and went to town!
By the time I was finished....well....it looked like that Dali painting where the watches are drooping over the edges of table and melting. The crystal was in the first phases of melting. Not a pretty sight!!!
:-d:-d:-d
Sounds like something I'd do Rob.
Love your description!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was painting the back room and had some paint thinners open next to a table, had my G Shock on the table, bumped the table, didn't hear the watch fall into the paint thinners until about 6 hours later when I went to put it away and heard it tapping in the tin... was not a pretty picture...

·
Registered
918 Posts
I put a watch in a bag with keys, change and a metal pocket knife then I went to sleep in a tent and when I woke up to get my watch the crystal and bracelet were all scratched up.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts