WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this one at a very attractive price and bought it on a whim, knowing it might backfire on me. :D

Two oddities, I did a lot of searching but could find no answer...

1) The case shape I have not seen on a Flagship before.

2) The Flagship logo uses a completely different font from any I've seen.

There's been some speculation from some people I asked that this might be a repainted dial, but have been looking it over with a 10x loupe and if it's a repaint it's certainly a very very well done one. And if it's a very well done one, why would they have put the "wrong" Flagship font on there?

Popped open the back, revealing a L633.1 movement that looks nice and clean. Inside of caseback has the Longines logo + a couple of numbers. The movement has what appears to be a serial # as well.

Worth noting is that there is a company logo and "1978" engraved on the back, leading me to think it was some form of service award.

So I gather this is

a) A pretty common model and I am just an idiot who couldn't find another when searching online
b) A fake / franken of some sort
c) Some less common model that perhaps was sold to those looking to engrave the back for service awards
d) ????

I have looked and looked and I am really stumped. Anyone here have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Starts with 5405, can only find lists that show the serial numbers used until 1969 though...

edit: Found an ebay auction for a Longines starting with 54 and they say it means it dates back to 1978 so seems promising.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Verified authentic by my local watchmaker. In all likelihood a special line Longines produced for service award watches. Looks to be in fine shape overall and just needs a movement service to be tip top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts