WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,122 Posts
I think it's just a matter that a watch without lume is better able to showcase the extraordinary quality of polishing and finishing applied to the hands and hour markers, and additionally, the quality of polish and the faceted design is able to reflect any low intensity light in the room, and thereby achieve excellent visibility in all but absolute darkness.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Another GS model with lume is the SBGA 099. Released last October, this is a JDM model which seems like good value for a GS Spring Drive.Never seems to get a mention but I want to take a punt and buy it as I have been obsessing about it for a while now. Just worried that dial colour is too similar to the SBGT 033 that I have. Watch Analog watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Jewellery Watch Analog watch Black Green Watch accessory

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
The strong lume on my retro Nivrel drives me nuts in the hour before dusk - when the rest of the dial is trying to look delicious in the fading light the green lume blares out of the hands like a big dumb over-excited fool :-(
I think BGW9 looks much classier on dressier watches:

Reactions: X2-Elijah

·
Registered
252 Posts
^^ yeah nice isn't it ? about 361,000 yen on Global Rakuten, approx $ 3500 plus any taxes you might have to pay.. To get one here to me in London I would have to add 20% plus delivery cost.. I have e mailed Higuchi asking about availability & cost..

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Your grand children do not need to worry about the dial getting spotty from lume bits falling out of their dedicated position at the hour indices or from the hands.
This has been my position for many years about watches (especially heirloom timepieces) without lume. I have a couple of vintages and the aged, spotty, and sometimes missing pieces of lume just kills their aesthetics. As far as I'm concerned, GS has it right. There are many choices elsewhere with wonderful lume, if that's your requirement.

Sent from my slingshot using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
Looking at the GS it appears they are mostly for the japanese market. One can't have a watch that is more prestigious than one's boss. And it certainly must not be bolder or less conservative than one's boss. Too dressy also might not be a good idea. Most of those GS look in style like my grandfathers wristwatch.

I don't think the main point of lume is reading the time in pitch black (divers excepted). But to increase contrast in low light situations. That is when you start to notice the green or blue shine just a little bit, in such situations, especially blue lume, makes the white appear much brighter.

Personally i'm not fond of that at all, as it lacks a lightness and elegance this would need as jewelry, but it also tries to avoid being a fine tool watch, looking the precision instrument (with perhaps the best movement on the market, regardless of what watch snobs say.).

They ought to get Sinn to get them a design that expresses the engineering that's hidden behind that shiny face. (engineering > craftsmanship!) Japanese Engineering + German Desin = The Greatest Perfection

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I am for the most part a lume type of guy with my watches as I do find some use for it. Lume on these amazing hands and indices would totally ruin it though. Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Save for pitch darkness, I find the GS hands very legible as they are. There isn't a real need for lume when the highly polished hands and indicies gleam radiantly with just a little light.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
See, it isn't so hard to put lume, and it didn't really destroy the hands look that much.
You can't make a diver without lume. But I doubt those hands look nearly as good at night walking down a low lit side walk, in a bar, or just at home watching the second hand move. Let alone through a loop.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
I've actually mentioned before that their 9S based GMT models need lume. Whether you want lume or not, it's a very sporty looking watch. Needs lume. A factor of my two GS purchases was lume...It wasn't by any means a defining factor, but it was considered.....Pics, anyone?? ;)

SBGA075 lum-ing it up...

And the SBGX091 doing it's best....

I personally think GS does a GREAT job putting lume on dauphine hands. Best I've ever seen.

But now I've gotta buy a Hi-beat, so I'll have to cop one without lume :(

....Something tells me I'll get over it ;)

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
What? Lume on a GS? Puhleeze...........I'm grateful, they didn't do anything to those magical Zaratsu polished hands, which take light even in low light situations and make the hour and minute hands look like they were coated with diamond dust. If you need lumed hands on a dress watch, Grand Seiko is likely not for you, but for 'most' of us who are lucky enough to strap one to our wrist, I doubt many would question why Seiko didn't muck up the hands with lume.

Ps: I know some GS models do have lumed hands, but mine doesn't and I'm just as happy as can be about that. Yes I am!

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I think this was one of the factors when they decided to make the LX series prospex watches instead of GS watches.

Maybe all lumed products will now be the Prospex line or whatever line the 62MAS remake is now.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
I've never understood the desire for lume. Most watches have it and it doesn't last any meaningful amount of time. How often are you in pitch black rooms?
I guess you don't hike, hunt, camp, or have ever been in the military, where pitch black is a daily occurrence. I have several watches where the lume lasts all night long. Citizen, Seiko (diver), Sinn, Ball, and Breitlings that I own have excellent lume that lasts all night long. I also wear my watch to bed, and appreciate the lume to check the time if I wake up in the middle of the night.

All that said, most Grand Seiko's I consider to be dress watches, so lume is not required. They do make dive watches with lume. Most GS models in their Sport collection have lume.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts