WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What's up with the lack of lume on the grand seiko?

27K views 42 replies 35 participants last post by  Brucy 
#1 ·
Yea they're awesome watches and so on...

Can't they just put a bit of lume? How are we supposed to appreciate them in the dark?

Anybody else feel this is a serious flaw? Seriously how can they be day to day 24/7 watches without visibility at night...

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah, if they had a 40mm diver I'd be all over it. I like the idea of a GS, just don't seem to be practical for what I would want it for.

Though to play devil's advocate, most of the GS line is fancy looking pieces people wear to the office (I'm guessing) and lume probably isn't a priority to those customers.

#5 ·
I've never understood the desire for lume. Most watches have it and it doesn't last any meaningful amount of time. How often are you in pitch black rooms? I find my GS pretty easy to read in most light settings. It is a hair hard to glance at driving in the dark though mine has particularly small hands which makes that more difficult.

Anyway shamelessly stolen from CitizenM's review of the GS vs AT. The lume just isn't needed imo.

Watch Analog watch Black Watch accessory Blue

#6 ·
I've never understood the desire for lume. Most watches have it and it doesn't last any meaningful amount of time. How often are you in pitch black rooms? I find my GS pretty easy to read in most light settings. It is a hair hard to glance at driving in the dark though mine has particularly small hands which makes that more difficult. Anyway shamelessly stolen from CitizenM's review of the GS vs AT. The lume just isn't needed imo.
I agree with just about every point you made.

The only niggle I have is that I suspect the GS would be harder to read if the positions in the picture were reversed. It appears the light from what I assume is a doorway only reaches to the GS. Granted, the GS is positioned where it would sit on the wrist, but what if Citizen moved a hair further to the left?

#8 · (Edited)
It's not part of their heritage. They established a criteria for a certain type of watch and have in general stood by this statement for 50 years. I much prefer to have at least one option like this in an industry which is willing to make wholesale adjustments (for better and for worse) to stay current with the marketplace...and that includes Rolex, Omega and Seiko (non-GS category)...basically every mid-luxury brand on down really. It'll be interesting to see if GS adapts at least somewhat to Western consumers' preferences and if they do, how much of the line's DNA will be sacrificed.

I agree though that it would be logical to routinely add lume to the sportiest of their sport watches (like that fantastic GMT...their first and still best GMT to my eyes). I think they could do this without compromising their principals...

...or, maybe not. Looking at it again, might lume wreck that watch's exceptionally clean lines? Perhaps Seiko knows best after all.

#12 ·
I must ask, what is a dress watch? Most GSs have a date function and a second function. The GTM listed above even has markers on the bezel itself. They are almost all very thick. Their case designs are also very large. Most of their line are simple everyday watches with a 3 hand movement and a date functions. To me that is a daily wear type watch if there ever one was. Something water resistant enough for a pool, casual enough for jeans and shorts, and dressy enough for a casual/work suit. But dress watch? Very few of their watches are strict dress watches.

#16 ·
if you have not experienced the polished GS indices than you can't imagine how they reflect even the smallest amount of light. It truly is impressive. Almost any amount of light will reflect. Pitch black is a rare condition unless you are in a cave and then you aren't moving because you would trip

#27 ·
This has been my position for many years about watches (especially heirloom timepieces) without lume. I have a couple of vintages and the aged, spotty, and sometimes missing pieces of lume just kills their aesthetics. As far as I'm concerned, GS has it right. There are many choices elsewhere with wonderful lume, if that's your requirement.

Sent from my slingshot using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I have two GS as well as a couple of Spring Drives, and because the hands are so well finished and reflect even the smallest amount of light, I have never had an issue with viewing mine unless I am in complete darkness.

No problems at all in viewing the time low light situations for me, as as stated above, this watch goes for a more refined look.

#19 ·
I can really understand the desire for lume. But I guess I'd make a few points with regard to GS:

It's true, the hands really are so polished and beveled that they catch light if there is any. I would say it's not good enough for visibility in a dark theater, but walking around at night from your car to the restaurant, dimly lit restaurants, etc there is no issue at all.

The second point is that I just don't think the hands would be as good if they had lume on them--aesthetically speaking. They are so perfectly polished with that long flat dauphine section.

See how sharp the hands are against the dial with no inconsistencies. I think lume would interfere.

And lastly, there are Grand Seikos are available with lume, although they are definitely the minority in GS' lineup. There used to be more, interestingly.

Not my photos:

#21 ·
I think it's just a matter that a watch without lume is better able to showcase the extraordinary quality of polishing and finishing applied to the hands and hour markers, and additionally, the quality of polish and the faceted design is able to reflect any low intensity light in the room, and thereby achieve excellent visibility in all but absolute darkness.

#22 · (Edited)
Another GS model with lume is the SBGA 099. Released last October, this is a JDM model which seems like good value for a GS Spring Drive.Never seems to get a mention but I want to take a punt and buy it as I have been obsessing about it for a while now. Just worried that dial colour is too similar to the SBGT 033 that I have. Watch Analog watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Black Green Watch accessory

#26 ·
^^ yeah nice isn't it ? about 361,000 yen on Global Rakuten, approx $ 3500 plus any taxes you might have to pay.. To get one here to me in London I would have to add 20% plus delivery cost.. I have e mailed Higuchi asking about availability & cost..

#28 ·
Looking at the GS it appears they are mostly for the japanese market. One can't have a watch that is more prestigious than one's boss. And it certainly must not be bolder or less conservative than one's boss. Too dressy also might not be a good idea. Most of those GS look in style like my grandfathers wristwatch.

I don't think the main point of lume is reading the time in pitch black (divers excepted). But to increase contrast in low light situations. That is when you start to notice the green or blue shine just a little bit, in such situations, especially blue lume, makes the white appear much brighter.

Personally i'm not fond of that at all, as it lacks a lightness and elegance this would need as jewelry, but it also tries to avoid being a fine tool watch, looking the precision instrument (with perhaps the best movement on the market, regardless of what watch snobs say.).

They ought to get Sinn to get them a design that expresses the engineering that's hidden behind that shiny face. (engineering > craftsmanship!) Japanese Engineering + German Desin = The Greatest Perfection

#34 ·
I've actually mentioned before that their 9S based GMT models need lume. Whether you want lume or not, it's a very sporty looking watch. Needs lume. A factor of my two GS purchases was lume...It wasn't by any means a defining factor, but it was considered.....Pics, anyone?? ;)

SBGA075 lum-ing it up...

And the SBGX091 doing it's best....

I personally think GS does a GREAT job putting lume on dauphine hands. Best I've ever seen.

But now I've gotta buy a Hi-beat, so I'll have to cop one without lume :(

....Something tells me I'll get over it ;)

#35 · (Edited)
What? Lume on a GS? Puhleeze...........I'm grateful, they didn't do anything to those magical Zaratsu polished hands, which take light even in low light situations and make the hour and minute hands look like they were coated with diamond dust. If you need lumed hands on a dress watch, Grand Seiko is likely not for you, but for 'most' of us who are lucky enough to strap one to our wrist, I doubt many would question why Seiko didn't muck up the hands with lume.

Ps: I know some GS models do have lumed hands, but mine doesn't and I'm just as happy as can be about that. Yes I am!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.