WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to watches so maybe you could help me with this problem/question. I have my eyes on this Seiko Red Alpinist which I'm considering to buy. Everything else seems fine but the seller has written that the crown falls off after unscrewing.

How bad of a problem is this and how much would it cost to get it fixed? According to the seller, the watch functions and there are no other flaws in addition to the need of general service.

Any help appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Is the crown unscrewing from the stem or does the stem come away with the crown.

If the fore then it most probably only wants bonding on.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I would have thought the stem requires removing parts cleaned and then bonded back together.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not hard to fix but the stem will definitely need removed. Then its as simple as applying a little crazy glue to the threads and screwing the crown to stem.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not hard to fix but the stem will definitely need removed. Then its as simple as applying a little crazy glue to the threads and screwing the crown to stem.

Thanks for sharing! Do you think the crown in the current state affects the watch's functions? How can I prevent the crown falling off? I have never owned a watch with a screw-down crown so gotta ask :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Do you think the crown in the current state affects the watch's functions? How can I prevent the crown falling off? I have never owned a watch with a screw-down crown so gotta ask :)
I doubt it can be adjusted in the current state. Likely cannot be hand wound either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I doubt it can be adjusted in the current state. Likely cannot be hand wound either.

Okay, gotta ask the seller. Weird cos he wrote that it functions but maybe he meant that everything else functions besides the crown work😅

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you're new to watches I would probable avoid purchasing something that's a repair project where parts are not readily available.

I have a few Red Alpinists and since the crown is a screw down, the stem is attached in a way where it spring-locks into place. It will probably not be as easy to replace as you think as I believe you need the stem and crown as one unit to get the repair job done.

If it was easy, I'm sure the seller would have done it and sold it at much more advantageous price.

-Brian

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you're new to watches I would probable avoid purchasing something that's a repair project where parts are not readily available.

I have a few Red Alpinists and since the crown is a screw down, the stem is attached in a way where it spring-locks into place. It will probably not be as easy to replace as you think as I believe you need the stem and crown as one unit to get the repair job done.

If it was easy, I'm sure the seller would have done it and sold it at much more advantageous price.

-Brian
Appreciate the exhaustive answer. Is it hard to get replacement parts for this model and how much would you recommend to pay for this watch considering the condition?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Two things I would consider.
1 is the price very low?
2 is the stem broken inside the crown or is the crown just unthreaded from the stem?
My thinking is that if it the price is low and the parts aren't physically broken then I would go for it.
On that note if you decide to pass please send me the info cause I might want to jump on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Personally I would just buy a watch which is not broken.
Agreed, but I have noticed that these are not too easy to find and in mint condition often go for 1000€+. Still waiting for a reply from the seller tho. If he says the watch functions and the crown is the only part broken I'll go for it, otherwise not :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Two things I would consider.
1 is the price very low?
2 is the stem broken inside the crown or is the crown just unthreaded from the stem?
My thinking is that if it the price is low and the parts aren't physically broken then I would go for it.
On that note if you decide to pass please send me the info cause I might want to jump on it.

Thanks for the tips and yea will let you know if I don't end up getting it :) The seller is asking 650$ and I thought I'd offer 550$ including shipping. Is this something you would also pay assuming the crown is only part broken?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks for the tips and yea will let you know if I don't end up getting it :) The seller is asking 650$ and I thought I'd offer 550$ including shipping. Is this something you would also pay assuming the crown is only part broken?
I just might. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Appreciate the exhaustive answer. Is it hard to get replacement parts for this model and how much would you recommend to pay for this watch considering the condition?
I think it's hard to value this as repair may be impossible. A broken watch is really not worth much. As a base consideration, Seiko will service a 4S movement in Japan for about $250-300 (I think it's listed on their website). The value should start at a standard Red Alpinist price (though the green fetches higher values) minus a full service price.

But you can look up the part number and inquire if the crown/stem is available. I don't think it's easy to find given that this is discontinued model.

-Brian

1 - 20 of 23 Posts