WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just one 42mm watch, a Steinhart Ocean One. It is a very well made watch but I find myself not wearing it much because of the size. I've been moving stedily down in case size for a while now and am liking the 38 - 40mm watches more than the big ones. There are some incredible watches available but when I read 45mm in the specs I just move on, what about you? Any other small case folks out there?

Wrist shots of some different watches I have;

I think this old Casio is about 39mm and wears like it's not really there.

The Steinhart is big & the flat lugs make it wear bigger, and even with the jubilee it's heavy.

This old Enicar is 37.5 mm and is very comfortable to wear, light too.

Here's another substantial watch, 41mm X 12.5 thick with a 5.5mm thick strap tapers to 4mm at the buckle. Because it has curved lugs it wears smaller than the Steinhart and is a little lighter I think. It's essentially the same as a Black Bay watch.

This one is very comfortable, 39mm and because it's quartz it's light too. Aquaracer;

I need more pictures I guess..............

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My preference is 38 - 42mm case diameter (max of 44mm), with lug-to-lug of no more than < 52mm. That's on a 6-inch wrist with ~55mm width.

I also move on when I see watches with 45mm, 47mm, or other "insane" sizes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
How does a 42mm watch wich fit good on a man with 6.5 inches wrist is suposed to look good on a man my size ? Im 6 foot 4 and about 250 pounds. Lots of poeple criticizing watch over 44mm and so on i simply don't get it. The proportion stay the same. A 46 mm watch on my wrist is probably looking smaller then a 42mm watch on an average guy.
ive never really found any post or thread on this very subject.
if someone has any kinda of explanation lol
cheers

·
Registered
605 Posts
38-40mm for a non-diver. 40-42 for a rotating bezel diver watch.

·
Registered
470 Posts
38-40mm, although the lug-to-lug width is much more important (See SKX009, MWW Tatoskok). The largest I'd go L2L is 50mm, but am much more comfortable with anything less than 48mm.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
40-42mm is my sweet spot. I have a 43mm Steinhart Nav B that I admit is a little too big but I love the look of it and the finish of the case so that's my only exception.

·
Registered
212 Posts
38-42mm, with my preference for something around a 40mm with 48mm lug to lug. It seems to be the best fit and proportions for my 6.5 inch wrist.

Reactions: Ard

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I planned to do a Seiko mod using an SRP271 as a base watch. I figured 40mm without the crown was an okay size. I own a Hamilton Khaki Action that is 40mm excluding the crown and it's fine. When the SRP271 arrived it looked extremely small compared to every other watch I have. I returned the Seiko and scrapped the mod idea.
Seiko SRP271

Hamilton H62465515 Khaki Action

·
Registered
10,859 Posts
42-45mm, with the larger end typically for divers and chronographs. I tolerate some watches down to 40mm. 37mm and below or just about any with with 18mm lugs is infuriatingly, Hulk Smash small.

8"/20.5 cm wrists though...

Reactions: ninjack

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I kinda liked the Seiko.............. I guess I'm burned out on large for a while.
Don't get me wrong, it was a decent watch, just not for me at this time. I know it's difficult to tell with a close up wrist shot with just the watch cropped out. Trust me, that watch looked a lot smaller than that wrist shot would allude to.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts