WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which warranty do you usually go for?

• Hell, I like mine cheap. Grey Market warranties are just fine

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • I'm the kind of guy who likes everything guaranteed. Manufacturer warranties are my stuff

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • GM warranties for the cheap ones, M warranties for the expensive ones

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • M warranties for the cheap ones, but GM warranties for expensive ones

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where do you guys stand on the warranty issue?

Do you guys choose to buy watches with grey market warranties like Jomashop, Authentic watches, etc, or do you guys choose to buy watches that has manufacturer's warranty?

I've posted a poll regarding this topic. Hop in!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I'll pay up to a 10% premium for buying from an authorised dealer. Beyond that, I'll take my chances with grey market.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I buy BNIB from AD just for the peace of mind. Have never bought from Gray Market. Guess I'll have to take whatever options are available should I ever decide to buy a vintage/ pre-owned timepiece.

So I went with the third option.

·
Premium Member
22,035 Posts
I prefer a manufacturer's warranty with high-end watches with non-commodity movements, but I contact a large number of ADs in order to get the best pricing possible, and usually it's comparable to what one might pay on the grey market. About a 10% premium is about as high I will go with an AD, as it's sometimes possible to get a manufacturer's warranty with some of the better grey market dealers.

For a watch with a standard movement, like an ETA, a grey market warranty is perfectly acceptable.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Only bought from AD aside for one used from a WUS member.
I personally like manufacturers original warranty, but I've been fortunate enough to not utilize them (*knock on wood)

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
I suppose it would depend on how much the watch is worth. I'm not sure how efficient a grey market dealers customer service would be especially if they are based in a foregin country which for me they primarily are. I can't easily get them on the phone or go into their shop and harass them if I had warranty claim and wasn't happy with their customer service. Not that I'm that guy. ;-P

I have purchased all of my watches on the grey market and never had an issue. I'm considering purchasing a Sinn and it's only a few hundred more to buy it from an AD in Australia then it is grey so that would be my prefered option. It's all relative I guess.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
When the only watches you're into are 100 years old.. unfortunately you don't get a warranty haha.

Reactions: eblackmo

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Oops the browser on my BlackBerry could not display the poll, but yeah I would always choose manufacturer warranty over shop/gray dealer warranty for more expensive or complex watxhes.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see. Hmm... this might be subjective, but what price range would you guys call "expensive enough for manufacturer warranties"?

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Have you ever really read warranties? All I've read are soooo vague and written to basically say that
they really cover allot of nothing....Warranties are not for your protection, they are for the protection
of the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
On more expensive pieced a manufacturer warranty is preferred. With cheaper ones it doesn't really matter. I probably won't even bother sending them for warranty repairs to begin with as it will be cheaper to fix it myself. Faster(once I've actually learned how to fix'em), cheaper and I don't have to deal with sending the watch around the world and informing the custom about the watch being send back for warranty work.

·
Registered
26,478 Posts
Not that keen on grey market warranties after I got stung on a non manufacturer Tag Heuer card that cost me a £1000 on a PX for a different watch, so if I ever buy new, which to be fair is hardly ever, then I want a stamped up manufacturers card in the box.

90% of my watches are bought lightly used from a trusted online retailer in the UK called Watchfinder, so the balance of the Manu warranty if there is any, or there own 12 months on an older watch is just fine.

·
Registered
15,665 Posts
Lowest cost primary for me so wherever it's cheapest, warranty source not of major concern . . .

·
Premium Member
68,125 Posts
With more expensive pieces I expect the AD to look after me but with more affordable ones I go GM and half expect any warranty claim to be difficult or even fail - that way if things do go wrong I won't be disappointed if the warranty hit the rocks.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Warranties or lack of are not a big issue for me. As long as the manufacturer will honor servicing of my watch, regardless of who I got it from, I am happy. So in my opinion, the thread should be which manufacturers do not honor gray market watch servicing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you ever really read warranties? All I've read are soooo vague and written to basically say that
they really cover allot of nothing....Warranties are not for your protection, they are for the protection
of the manufacturer.
Yea I've read couple, and I did think in my head "what the heck? This means that they will basically cover nothing!" Only reason I personally enjoy products with warranties are because I can guarantee 99% that all their parts are authentic and real.

Let's say jomashop for an example. Yea they might "have" authentic watches that they get their hands on, but consider this situation. One customer bought it, but it got broken on the way for delivery or something, so he sends it back for refund / warranty. Do you think jomashop will go like "dang! This watch is defective, and I can't sell it!"? No, they will probably go like "Oops. Time to repair this watch and sell it to someone else!" And no one knows if this "repair process" is going to be trustworthy or not; who knows? They might use cheap Chinese parts. I highly doubt will they ever dispose watches that got returned or was damaged. At the same time I also highly doubt they actually use official parts, since brands don't count them as "authorized dealer".

Plus, watches with manufacturer warranties tend to have an easier refund & returning process based on what I researched. All the more reason I personally love watches with manufacturer warranties.

Considering my financial capabilities, only watches I would buy from grey market would be watches below $500 ish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts