WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 3353 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: WHAT'S YOUR LATEST PURCHASE? Show of your shiny new 'G'...

Very nice Rangeman! How do you like it, CollectorCol?
Love it, not sure about the neg display yet. Very dull day and difficult to see indoors.
Looks great though and full of features.

Fancied a digi so bought a GW-5610 and hated it. This is more my style.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

Recently,

Navy, Marine, and ICERC Gulfmasters.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Very nice! That green bezel with the colours underneath looks sweet.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

Very nice! That green bezel with the colours underneath looks sweet.
Yes, thanks.
I still think the coloring and brass tone metal of the Navy is the nicest one.

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
This one. GW-5035A. :)

Only the back (and strap keeper) are shiny. ;-)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

It's beautiful. The GWN-1000NV is on its way to me :)
Good choice.
The Gulfmaster line is my favorite.
Feature rich with the most sporting look.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
My 3 latest, 30th anniversary 6930, Huf 400, & the 35th anniversary Sankuanz.

Sent from Capt. Kirk's Communicator
Gorgeous trio there, Wit.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
My last two were Pathfinders, but this is the latest G.

GPW-1000-4AJF

IMAG5975 (1).jpg

IMAG6194.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts

I got all 3 of these squares in October. (actually all 4 - including the 5035) Sorry, this post has turned into a little review of the GLS watches... Couldn't help myself!

The green one is the GLS-5600CL-3JF, and the black w/white dial is GLS-5600CL-1JF. Threw in a pic with the 5035 just for size comparison purposes. They seem to have the same case diameter as far as I can tell.

These GLS-5600s are super lightweight! That's a good thing. Because in the past when I've tried to use Zulu or Nato straps on stainless steel watches, I had to pull the strap tight so that the watch would not move all over my wrist. But then, the strap was tighter than I really liked it to be. So for heavier watches, I've concluded that I don't particularly like Nato/Zulu straps. But on these GLS-5600s, the watch has so little weight that I can keep the strap looser and it works just fine. ;-)

Another thing I learned. I kind of expected the light to work like it does on the DW-5600 series, since they use std. batteries like the GLS-5600s do. But... not the case. The GLS has a set duration for the light, like other Gs, with the added bonus of being able to set it for up to 5 seconds. I was HOPING that the light would remain on for as long as the button is pressed, similar to the DW-5600 series - but the GLS does not work that way. I guess that's okay though - 5 seconds is a pretty long duration for the light so that should be just fine. (and it's a nice EL light - not LED! :-!)

In just comparing the dials of the green GLS and the 5035, I noticed that the 5035 has larger, and fatter digits. Despite that, I think the negative display of the GLS is slightly more readable in low light than the one on the 5035. Can't explain why, but that appears to be true.

Another nice thing about the GLS watch - it has dual, 1,000 hour stopwatches! Then in addition to the normal Timer and Alarms, it has World Time also! Plus, a low-temp LCD. These will be my winter work-watches when I need to do any kind of work outside in cold weather. They are lightweight and extremely comfortable - and best part, not very expensive. :) (of course, not Tough Solar or Multiband 6 though) The nylon straps are relatively thick, and the buckles are thick and sturdy. I plan to keep these on the stock straps, but it's nice that the strap could easily be changed out if need be. (strangely enough, the width seems to be 23mm - not 22 or 24...) :-s

Then there was this white banded square, the GWX-5600WA-7. Believe the resin is supposed to resemble a wood grain finish. It looks very nice IMO.

I got this one because I didn't have a square with tide and moon. But - didn't realize how the tide graph works on this watch. Unlike the Frog and some other Casios, you can't set the tide just based on the date, high tide time, and tide location. Instead, it has preset locations for tides, and it seems all you can do is pick one of them. Well the nearest location is not that close to me, so it isn't very useful. If I truly relied on the tide graph that would be a problem. But since I don't, not too big of a deal...

·
Registered
7,000 Posts

I got all 3 of these squares in October. (actually all 4 - including the 5035) Sorry, this post has turned into a little review of the GLS watches... Couldn't help myself!

The green one is the GLS-5600CL-3JF, and the black w/white dial is GLS-5600CL-1JF. Threw in a pic with the 5035 just for size comparison purposes. They seem to have the same case diameter as far as I can tell.

These GLS-5600s are super lightweight! That's a good thing. Because in the past when I've tried to use Zulu or Nato straps on stainless steel watches, I had to pull the strap tight so that the watch would not move all over my wrist. But then, the strap was tighter than I really liked it to be. So for heavier watches, I've concluded that I don't particularly like Nato/Zulu straps. But on these GLS-5600s, the watch has so little weight that I can keep the strap looser and it works just fine. ;-)

Another thing I learned. I kind of expected the light to work like it does on the DW-5600 series, since they use std. batteries like the GLS-5600s do. But... not the case. The GLS has a set duration for the light, like other Gs, with the added bonus of being able to set it for up to 5 seconds. I was HOPING that the light would remain on for as long as the button is pressed, similar to the DW-5600 series - but the GLS does not work that way. I guess that's okay though - 5 seconds is a pretty long duration for the light so that should be just fine. (and it's a nice EL light - not LED! :-!)

In just comparing the dials of the green GLS and the 5035, I noticed that the 5035 has larger, and fatter digits. Despite that, I think the negative display of the GLS is slightly more readable in low light than the one on the 5035. Can't explain why, but that appears to be true.

Another nice thing about the GLS watch - it has dual, 1,000 hour stopwatches! Then in addition to the normal Timer and Alarms, it has World Time also! Plus, a low-temp LCD. These will be my winter work-watches when I need to do any kind of work outside in cold weather. They are lightweight and extremely comfortable - and best part, not very expensive. :) (of course, not Tough Solar or Multiband 6 though) The nylon straps are relatively thick, and the buckles are thick and sturdy. I plan to keep these on the stock straps, but it's nice that the strap could easily be changed out if need be. (strangely enough, the width seems to be 23mm - not 22 or 24...) :-s

Then there was this white banded square, the GWX-5600WA-7. Believe the resin is supposed to resemble a wood grain finish. It looks very nice IMO.

I got this one because I didn't have a square with tide and moon. But - didn't realize how the tide graph works on this watch. Unlike the Frog and some other Casios, you can't set the tide just based on the date, high tide time, and tide location. Instead, it has preset locations for tides, and it seems all you can do is pick one of them. Well the nearest location is not that close to me, so it isn't very useful. If I truly relied on the tide graph that would be a problem. But since I don't, not too big of a deal...

Nice pieces, T4PN. This should really be in its own thread, so people can find it easier.

BTW, the GWX-5600 module 3222 does allow customizing the high tide time, so this may help a bit. My Gulfman GW-9110 and W-S210 only allow picking a home city and setting a high tide time to customize the tide data, so it seems that the GWX-5600 is even a bit better in this regard, since you can fine tune the location somewhat more. My older-model G-7900 and GLX-5600 use the lunitidal interval and longitude to calculate the tide data.

1 - 20 of 3353 Posts