WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Watch Fans,

I need some additional advice. Some of you were kind of enough to answer my earlier question when I was comparing an Omega Aqua Terra to the blue Zenith below. Now I ask you for your opinion on one more item. I am about to buy my first real timepiece. This is a big purchase for me.

I want a watch that satisfies the following criteria:

• one that I can pass down to my son,
  • one that looks distinctive (with some flair) without looking pretentious,
  • one that will hold up well,
  • one that will hold its value as much as possible.
  • one that is within the price range of the two below.

My newly narrowed choices are:

A. ZENITH CAPTAIN:WINSOR ANNUAL CALENDAR IN BLUE 42 MM
Zenith.jpg
OR

B. CAPTAIN:WINSOR ANNUAL CALENDAR BOUTIQUE EDITION 42 MM
Zenith 2.jpg

Please share your thoughts. I really like the style of these watches for me. Also, I feel like there is tremendous value (lots of nice features) for the money.

I welcome your opinion.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,216 Posts
Man, tough choice! I like the blue dial, but I'm a sucker for rose gold numerals/hands. I think I'd pick the second one as you could swap the brown strap for black if need be and completely change the look of the watch. The blue dial seems married to the black strap, but maybe not.

Either one should serve you well, and your kid should enjoy it, too.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I'm probably in the minority here, but as much as I like blue dials, I tend to see them as something you're better off "adding" to a collection somewhere down the road. I'm just not sold on the versatility and staying power of blue (go ahead fellas, let the bashing begin). In this case, I think the white dial is a bit more timeless and (as was mentioned) can be dressed for different occasions.

Again, just my opinion... and probably not a very popular one at that. At the end of the day, they're both beautiful watches.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm probably in the minority here, but as much as I like blue dials, I tend to see them as something you're better off "adding" to a collection somewhere down the road. I'm just not sold on the versatility and staying power of blue (go ahead fellas, let the bashing begin). In this case, I think the white dial is a bit more timeless and (as was mentioned) can be dressed for different occasions.

Again, just my opinion... and probably not a very popular one at that. At the end of the day, they're both beautiful watches.
I agree the blue dial is gorgeous but the white will be much more versatile in the long run.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I certainly agree with the choice of the white dial. If it was my only watch, white is a beautiful color dressed up or down! Best of luck!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I didn't see your other thread so if this already came up sorry for repeating, but you should be aware that you are buying an in house, annual calendar movement. I would *guess* that the service cost would be at least $1000, and would probably have to be sent back to the manufacturer unless you know a really good watchmaker.

Obviously I don't know about your financial situation, but it's something to keep in mind when buying a heirloom piece. While a watch-lover wouldn't be surprised to see that high of a maintenance cost, for someone who doesn't know and/or care about watches it may seem ridiculous to spend the price of a cheap ring or car just to "keep up" your watch. And an annual calendar should probably be serviced since it's so complicated, you don't want that damaged.

Just my thoughts. I'm not a watchmaker!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I really like the Boutique edition. Esp like the framed day/date window, but I am not a fan of the overlap on the subdials.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Boutique edition for sure. I had a similar situation when buying my IWC Aquatimer -- black or white dial -- while the black dial looked great, I opted for the white for the long run and to make it more versatile. Awesome choice for your first watch.

·
Registered
981 Posts
i think the numeral markers add a nicer dimension than the markers. i echo rfortson comments on the colour scheme. white and rose give you more options.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Blue dial for me. Without a doubt. For one, not everyone can/wants to pull off gold. Second, it fits your requirement of something distinctive a little more, IMO.

·
Premium Member
21,812 Posts
The boutique edition is beautiful, and that would be my choice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The white face is classic-looking. Beautiful choices, both. But specific to your wanting to gift it to your son down the road, I would go for the one that's more timeless.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Both are awesome choices. I go for the white dial boutique edition here, for me it's more classic looking and looks more versatile especially if you plan to pass it on. I also like the blue dial but I think the white dial seems to fit as an heirloom piece which he can also pass on to your grandson someday.;-) Congrats on your choices.|>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts