WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

In your opinion, what is your most comfortable strap width?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 46.7%

Votes: 4 26.7%

Votes: 4 26.7%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum.
I would like to know your preference when it comes to strap width.
Are you most comfortable wearing a 18mm, 20mm, 22mm, or 24mm width strap?

Since we are on this topic you can additional state which watch strap brand or watch strap material (Nylon, vulcanized rubber, leather, metal bracelet, etc.) do you think, in your opinion is the most comfortable for everyday wear?

·
Premium Member
9,618 Posts
Strap width is a function of lug width. The question can't really be answered out of context. I would say the most common width is 20mm.

For material, IMO the most comfortable is perlon because it allows for consistently optimal fit. No pre-drilled holes limiting fit length, and conformal. Next up would be cut to length silicon or rubber, if the deployant clasp is comfortable. Then soft, flexible, unpadded leather, preferably made to fit.

Reactions: Karkarov

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Personally I find 20-22mm straps the most comfortable but Gangrel hit the nail on the head. It is a function of lug width. Even if I don't like say 18mm straps, if that is the lug width that is what I am getting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I asked the question, I was referring to preferred strap width (if you had a choice), but I understand with most watches you can't choose one strap width over another.
Personally, I like 20mm straps, 22mm is a close second but takes up more wrist space and feels slightly less comfortable.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
For me, the comfort issue is always with the underside ( buckle side) of a strap. Whether the strap is 18, 20 or 22 at the lugs never has an effect on comfort, but the buckle side is always better if closer to 16-18mm.

·
Premium Member
9,618 Posts
I don't think width has any real impact on comfort for me, except maybe in how it might impact strap options. Perlon, for example, isn't always available in 22; almost all lines offer 18 and 20. (Some Eulit is ONLY available in 20, I think.) With a leather strap, thickness, construction, and how the leather was tanned are all bigger factors than width. There is, tho, some correlation between width and thickness, just keeping everything in reasonable proportion. An 18/16 tapered strap that's 4mm thick is gonna look really terrible. :) A watch head supporting 22mm lugs is probably not gonna look great on a skinny dress leather strap.

I tend to prefer loop stitching only, because then you'll get single-layer, unpadded leather. Shell cordovan works nicely; Horween Chromexcel is even softer. Not criticising other leather like barenia; I'm just not as familiar with it. I also have unpadded gator; I rather like matte finish gator. And one ostrich leg; it's dual layer, tho. I like it; not sure I love it.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I usually squeeze the next larger size leather strap onto the slightly narrower lugs to get max. strap width

MSAR on a 24mm Helberg cross-stitch strap squeezed onto 22mm lugs.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
.....OK...OK...your watch will dictate strap width. I feel 20mm look small. Comfort not an issue. My example is my Gen 1 BM I recently acquired had a crappy rubber band on it. I bought a Geckota shark mesh H-link and put it on...I didn't like look at all. Some watch bands have pieces that are wider at the lug and give a larger look...which is what i like. I now have a new Seiko band on it....the rubber extends beyond the lugs giving a wider than 20mm look...I'm a happy camper now !!..... Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Orange ....my OM with OEM band..a perfect marriage...

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
This poll is pretty screwed from the beginning. Strap width is dependent on lug size, not personal preference. And, I don't know of any watches that allow you to chose the lug size. So, if you want a certain watch, you're bound to a certain strap size.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This poll is pretty screwed from the beginning. Strap width is dependent on lug size, not personal preference. And, I don't know of any watches that allow you to chose the lug size. So, if you want a certain watch, you're bound to a certain strap size.
When I asked the question, I was referring to preferred strap width (if you had a choice), but I understand with most watches you can't choose one strap width over another.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like bigger watches with wide straps so 24mm is my favorite. Just picked up some 24mm Borealis rubber straps and really liking them.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
For me its more about the taper to the buckle. I find straight straps just feel restrictive and 24mm is a no go.

My preferred size is 22 lug width tapering to 18 at the clasp or buckle.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Most of my personal straps are 24mm at the buckle regardless of lug size, I make them taper down to 21mm 22mm (MY preferred lug size) naturally 24mm at the lugs is 24mm at the buckle.
24MM ON 21MM LUGS
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.