WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking, I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I can afford a large portion of the watches in the market. But, that doesn't mean I'm comfortable buying them. Why do I feel more at ease buying a $500.00 watch when buying a $2000.00 one would have the same impact on my budget - none.

Is it because watches are generally a poor investment financial wise? Is it maybe having a variety of good-enough watches is better than having a smaller amount of expensive ones?

Although I have watches ranging in price from low to high-end, I don't spend any time in the high-end section of WUS.

Our family grew up pretty poor and frugality was part of our lifestyle. I learned that SPAM could be served in about a thousand different ways. Yet, I do appreciate the finer things in life. I'll spend $200.00 on a custom iPad case yet I drive a cheap Ford. I can't figure myself out lol.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
My limit is a basic formula: $= (a-b) / (c-d) * x
a= what I'm willing to spend at the time
b= what other significant expenses I just made or will soon make
c= what the watch costs
d= what I think the watch should cost
x= what the wife will let me get away with spending
-unless otherwise specified, x=0

Joking aside, it's just simple economics: what am I willing to give up in order to get what I want.

-hayday

·
Registered
231 Posts
Because I still have a mortgage and my retirement account is not what it could be, I try to keep my total hobby budget below 8-10k a year. Much of that goes towards cycling gear, so my comfort level has alot to do with trade-offs. If I really want a new 3k watch, it means I'm likely not getting new carbon wheels....that kind of thing. That said, I was just given the go ahead from the wife to spend up to 7-8k on a new watch, and I instead opted to order a Speedmaster Pro and "save" the remaining budget for future use, probably on another watch....so that might say something about my comfort level as well.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For me, this thread is a about a psychological limit. I just can't bring myself to be at ease spending what for my parents was an entire annual salary. I don't even think twice when the amount is around $1000.00 or so. And with what I spend annually, I could easily have saved and bought a Rolex GMT Master II.

·
Registered
429 Posts
What's my limit? Interesting question. I try to make only one large (1k usd+) watch purchase in a given year. With that in mind, my limit is usually what I want, if I can get it for what I feel is good value. All under 10k usd. I'm not ready to break the 5 digit threshold yet as my mortgage is still young. This is all assuming I can fit my target within my means.

I mentioned in a recent thread how only 2 years ago 600 usd for a watch gave me major heart burn. Funny how times change and how quickly that wind blows.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
31,461 Posts
My limit is a basic formula: $= (a-b) / (c-d) * x
a= what I'm willing to spend at the time
b= what other significant expenses I just made or will soon make
c= what the watch costs
d= what I think the watch should cost
x= what the wife will let me get away with spending
-unless otherwise specified, x=0
Most excellent!

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
It's all in your head...Not to say that's a bad thing....I will spend $5K on a watch and $300.+ on a pair of shoes but buy Wrangler
or Route 66 (K-Mart) jeans and squeeze every drop out of a toothpaste tube. It's just the way we are....IMHO we are all crazy.
P.S.
But most of you are allot crazier than me.....:-!

·
Registered
15,286 Posts
Psychologically, my perceived comfort limit is tied to disposable income so as the latter rises so too does the former . . . .

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
...Why do I feel more at ease buying a $500.00 watch when buying a $2000.00 one ?

I don't spend any time in the high-end section of WUS.

...I do appreciate the finer things in life. I'll spend $200.00 on a custom iPad case yet I drive a cheap Ford. I can't figure myself out lol.
I'm comfortable spending up to about $12K or so. Beyond that, I get into all sorts of philosophical debates with myself. Generally, when I realize that's what I'm doing, I also realize that the watch in question is one I like, but not one I'm convinced I have to have. So I just forgo it. When no such internal conflict arises, I know I'm passionately committed to the watch and I'll buy it. I may say "God, that's a lot of money for a watch," but I'll also say "so what, I love it and I want it." I call that personal exchange in my mind my "better judgment" at work doing exactly what it's supposed to do. I've found that listening to it serves me well. It's partly why I rarely, if ever, need input from others, much less total strangers, about what to buy.

You being more comfortable at $500 than at $2000 is likely your better judgment trying to tell you that you really don't need to get that pricier watch.

I've popped into the high-end section from time to time, but I don't spend much time there. Mostly because the last thing I need is opinions on what fancy watch to buy. And I have no difficulty finding and discovering more such watches that, with Bill Gate's wealth, I would like to buy. All the round and round about quality this and pedigree that is wasted on me. I don't care that much about that sort of thing, even if a watch I buy/want has those qualities. Lastly, I don't care whether the watch I buy will hold it's value. I'm not planning on selling it later anyway, so what difference would that make to me? None.

If you can't figure yourself out, you don't really think we can do you? I suspect there's tons of folks on WUS who can give you insightful information that is relevant to/for you, but none of us can do so very well if you can't explain yourself to us when you ask us something. You may want to spend time discovering you rather than thinking about watches any of those other finer things in life. You may find you really don't need to spend your money on any of them. That's hardly a bad epiphany to have.

All the best.

·
Premium Member
21,829 Posts
My comfort limit seems to be related to how many watches I have at the high price point of my collection. When my most expensive watch was many times the price of the next most expensive watch, I tended to baby the most expensive watch. But when I had three watches at approximately the same price point, then I found myself much more comfortable wearing these expensive watches regularly.

Reactions: tony20009

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
My comfort zone is <2k, but I'd like to grab a couple pieces that are in the 4 to 5k range. So there lies the dilemma...

·
Banned
1,440 Posts
It's all in your head...Not to say that's a bad thing....I will spend $5K on a watch and $300.+ on a pair of shoes but buy Wrangler
or Route 66 (K-Mart) jeans and squeeze every drop out of a toothpaste tube. It's just the way we are....IMHO we are all crazy.
P.S.
But most of you are allot crazier than me.....:-!
Totally agree. I was at the mall with two friends, I was looking at some shirts, and saw one I really liked and looked at the price tag, it was like $40... I was like "nope, too much money"... while wearing a watch that costs 30 times that. I realized how stupid I really was. I still didn't buy the shirt.

I have spent more than I was comfortable many times. I really don't like spending more than $500. I've definitely done it, more than once. But it's not comforting. I could go to seiyajapan.com right now and buy the MM300 I've been wanting and still be financially in good shape. I could even go on eBay and pick out a lightly used Speedy Pro. But I don't.... because I'd probably want to slam my head off the floor afterwards. I don't make a lot of money. Sure I can technically afford those watches, but me, spending that much money on a watch would be foolish, I think. I can comfortably spend $200 on a whim. $500 I have to plan for. More than that, I usually toss the idea around for awhile, talk my self out of it... value the watch in my mind, rationalize the heck out of it, and usually have it in my cart, ready to buy all I gotta do is hit confirm order.... I'll sit there for a few minutes. Sometimes I'll just click the button and get it over with, other times I'll say "ahhh not today" and close the window.

I love watches, and $200-500 is my limit as to where comfort and ease of buying ends. I've spend as high as $1300, and I really had a hard time rationalizing that. I could still pay my bills afterwards, but it's just that feeling of "holy crap, why did I just spend that much money..... on a watch?"

Let's face it, a watch is just a watch. Other than raw materials that go into making them (gold, diamonds, etc), the only value they REALLY have is how you, personally perceive them.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
My comfort limit is about $5000 I think. I went over that once, at $7600, and ended up getting rid of it. Just too much money for me to feel comfortable wearing.

Once you start getting into new car (or house down payment) type money, the equations change dramatically for me.

Like the poster above though, I have that much or more into watches - I could have one expensive watch instead of the 6-7 less expensive ones. I have a buddy at work that has a rose gold Hublot chrono, steel Daytona, and yellow gold Patek annual calendar, and I thought he was crazy - but maybe there's something to the fewer, but more expensive, methodology.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
For me it all started in 1995 when I saw a Rolex Polar & fell in love with it, I found one used at a second hand watch shop for $2,100. I was working @ Ralph Lauren at the time and was 17 so that was quite a sticker shock for me & my pocket. But I fell so hard for it that it didn't matter even at making $12 hr I saved up and got it.. From their my passion grew for the hobby.. So for me It depends on the watch really... Then i decide if I'm willing to trade of the time I put into getting it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
For me it all depends on the watch in question. I'd easily pay the going rate for a Speedmaster since I feel it provides good value for the money spent. On the other hand no way would I consider paying $3K+ for a Tudor with a $200 base ETA movement. I've got a higher grade of that same movement in $500 watches. So really, it all depends...

·
Premium Member
21,829 Posts
For me it all depends on the watch in question. I'd easily pay the going rate for a Speedmaster since I feel it provides good value for the money spent. On the other hand no way would I consider paying $3K+ for a Tudor with a $200 base ETA movement. I've got a higher grade of that same movement in $500 watches. So really, it all depends...
Tudor uses a top grade ETA 2824-2 retrofitted with KIF shocks and a Triovis micro-fine regulator. They are also regulated very well, and anecdotally seem to perform within +6/-4 sec/day. You have a $500 watch with a chronometer grade ETA?

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Totally agree. I was at the mall with two friends, I was looking at some shirts, and saw one I really liked and looked at the price tag, it was like $40... I was like "nope, too much money"... while wearing a watch that costs 30 times that. I realized how stupid I really was. I still didn't buy the shirt.

Do you participate in any gourmet cooking or housewares forums? I don't; just one car forum and a few watch forums. I have other serious interests besides watches, but none that I will spend time discussing with other folks. It's just a matter of what you value and what you don't value. There's no stupidity about it.

I will spend relatively large sums on clothes and "white cloth" restaurants, but I buy mostly store brand t-shirts, socks, salt, milk, juice, and other things, and I like any number of fast food brands. My mother likes the ladies departments at two rather posh stores, yet when she was in a nursing home and wanted a pair of jeans and some slippers I got what she needed at Walmart and she liked them too. Sometimes one wants to indulge, and sometimes one knows there's just no point to being indulgent for a particular purchase. I think that's normal.

All the best.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts