WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a dual time or GMT watch for my next purchase as I'm doing a lot of travel for work. Interested to see what you guys wear while travelling (for work or pleasure) and why.

At least this thread is a good excuse for some of the members to post pics of their ALS Lange 1 Timezones.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
2 posts and 2 GMT BLNRs. Trying to find one to see in person but its been difficult.
Are ADs still hiding them? I know they were holding them in the back and claiming they were for their "best customers" or some other chicanery...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Really, VC have once boarded the DLC hype train?

40mm Explorer II in white for me. I dislike all the ceramic bezel Rolex models.

But I'd like to add a dual time watch. I think I'd prefer a subdial for one of the timezones.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I travel for work often too. If i am going across timezones I generally prefer my Pam311. It also has a chrono that i sometimes use to measure time from the airport to hotel to estimate when i need to leave to go back. I sometimes where my timezone1 but that is more dependent on where i am traveling too.

Finally if i am traveling on vacation where there might be beach or substantial pool time--- i wear a Sinn 856 UTC.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
No GMT here, i usually just pick something from my collection based on where I am going and what I am doing. My latest trip was my FPJ, but sometimes ill even take my quartz piece for safety reasons. It's all about not attracting unwanted attention

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Really, VC have once boarded the DLC hype train?

40mm Explorer II in white for me. I dislike all the ceramic bezel Rolex models.

But I'd like to add a dual time watch. I think I'd prefer a subdial for one of the timezones.
I think he had it DLC'd himself, that version is a couple iterations old and before the DLC/matte black/ceramic hype started.

PS, don't do the subdail for dual time, it very frequently looks clumsy. A well executed 4th (or 3rd if sub-seconds dial) hand is far more elegant and stylish. The Rolex GMT Master (II) and Explorer II do this very well, I wish they would apply the movement to the DateJust and create a watch similar to those excellent Grand Seiko GMTs.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
I own a lot of watches and also travel a lot. It depends where I'm going. Most of the time it is within Europe and the same timezone. So therefore I take whatever I like at the moment. For another timezone most of the time I stick to one of my favorites.

It is a very comfortable watch and one of the comfortabels in the line of sport watches by Rolex. My 2003 Explorer II with pinholes.

Rolex Explorer II 10.jpg by Bidle, on Flickr

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are ADs still hiding them? I know they were holding them in the back and claiming they were for their "best customers" or some other chicanery...
All sold out. I've specifically asked if they have one in the safe out the back but they say no. There are about 10 Rolex ADs close by so I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lots of robust and tough options. I agree that travelling is not friendly on watches (airplane seat belts are the worst) and I'm leaning towards a Rolex for this reason.

Keep the pics coming.

Tried the Breguet Dual Time but did not like the non-quick set date nor the lugs.

image.jpg

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
I briefly thought a dual time watch would be perfect for traveling. I bought a Reverso Duo. Then I found out that I'm not in the habit of winding watches. It would run dead and I wouldn't notice until I looked at it actually wanting to know the time. As a result, I reverted back to my Constellation, which is just a simple watch with a date. I found that I do just fine adjusting the time on the plane so that it's correct when I land. My phone adjusts itself.

I'm not one to look at my watch over and over all day; the novelty of wearing a nice watch has long since passed for me. About a lustrum back, I noticed that other folks were looking at my watch more often than I did. That was when I decided to "tone it down" and just wear a nice, but fairly unassuming watch, and I decided to stick predominantly to just one. I really don't want to be the name on people's tongues because of my watches.

All the best.

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Reactions: wahasa

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Nothing expensive. I use this - the left hand retrograde is used as a 24 hour marker when at home and a second time zone when away.

Note - I don't travel too often so an expensive World Timer, GMT or Time Zone have not been a priority:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I do a lot of traveling and require a reliable watch with luminous hands if I wake up in the middle of the night jet lagged. I bring two watches, a Seiko for night, and a good looking Parmigiani Kalpa for meetings.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts