WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What's your winter watch? Do you go thin?

10K views 97 replies 75 participants last post by  Gilmour 
#1 ·
When I transition to long sleeves for fall and winter, it undoubtedly affects what I wear on my wrist. I spent years as a one-watch GSHOCK guy with an overall thickness nearing 15mm. It was always a constant battle between the sleeve and the watch.

Now, I have three options for winter watches. What are yours?

Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 42

GS SBGV 245

G-SHOCK GW-5000-1JF

See less See more
#11 ·
I tend to go with a smaller diameter and thickness case size for the winter. Her are the four that I’ll probably be wearing for the winter.

Attachments

#21 ·
I used to love winter, but not so much anymore; and having to put away most of my divers, which are too tall to fit under cuffs, might have something to do with it! I think it'll be between the SLA017 and the GMW-B5000TB this winter, but maybe I'll take the GS Snowflake out for the snowy days. ;)
View attachment 15547138 View attachment 15547139
Snowflake on a snowy day seems like the right call! I'm absolutely loving the GW-5000 and I'm sure it won't be my first square. It's the first square I can rock during the winter without messing with sleeves and jackets!!

I know that titanium has different thermal properties from steel, but my knowledge is on the high-temp side. How does your awesome titanium square fair in the winter? Does it get super cold?

#23 · (Edited)
I always found it odd that the consensus is that leather straps should be worn in winter, and bracelet/rubber in summer.

In practice, my preferences are the complete opposite. In the winter, I prefer wearing my bigger sporty watches on rubber or bracelet. The reason is that when I wear sweaters or jackets, I like my watch to be always visible with the cuff of the jacket resting before the watch. I never like to let the watch slide under the sweater. This is much easier and more comfortable to do with bigger watches on metal or rubber. On top of that, I like the presence of a bigger watch when worn with a sweater, it looks more proportionate on the arm.

On the other hand, I like to only put leathers on my smaller watches, 38mm or less. As a consequence, these watches will get lost when worn with winterwear. In the winter, I also have to contend with water, which my smaller watches and leathers won't take well to, especially my vintage pieces. It's just a very fussy experience wearing vintage or smaller, delicate watches in the winter time. I find wearing these pieces in the spring or summer with short sleeves and shorts to be a very casual and comfortable summer look, even on leather.

There is an exception for very hot days though. I'd either stick my leather watches on metal, or go back to my sporty watches for those days.

TLDR: Leather belongs on smaller, often delicate watches for me, and this combo doesn't take well to the harshness of winter time.

#30 ·
Winter is not really a cool season where I am now. When I did live in an area with winter weather I preferred silicone or rubber straps. My primary wear was my Aquis. If I knew there's would be no precip, I really enjoyed the OE leather on my first-run Melbourne Hawthorne. Nice strap for a watch at that price point

#33 ·
Hi, new to the forum here, so just saying hello :) . I'm a bracelet guy so one thing I appreciate in winter is not getting bloated ha

When I transition to long sleeves for fall and winter, it undoubtedly affects what I wear on my wrist. I spent years as a one-watch GSHOCK guy with an overall thickness nearing 15mm. It was always a constant battle between the sleeve and the watch.

Now, I have three options for winter watches. What are yours?

Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 42
View attachment 15547042

GS SBGV 245
View attachment 15547043

G-SHOCK GW-5000-1JF

View attachment 15547044

#35 ·
I usually spend my Summers in Finland and my winters in Spain (Marbella). The weather in Spain is great during the winter, so there is no real impact on my watch preferences.
However, due to Covid, we decided to stay in Finland this year and here it definitely gets really cold. Too cold for bracelets for me (have to take my dog out at least 2+hours a day). So I stick to my Gshocks and wear most of my other watches on natos (because some of the case back almost freeze and start burning my skin otherwise). Indoors I might still keep 1-2 watches on bracelet though.

#38 ·
As Brad said we don’t really have winters per se in the UK, the rain just gets colder.

So no need for Arctic suits.

I just wear whatever watch comes out of the box, in the summer months if we get hot weather I might go for more rubber, but winter will be leather or bracelets depending which watch it is.

Reactions: tacit
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.