WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello WUS,

Curious how you guys feel about buying used watches; do you find boxes and paperwork to be required? I have found a watch with original box, paperwork, and receipts as well as a watch without any of that! The watch without the original box and papers is $500 less than the complete set; which would you go with? I'm young and, technically speaking, jobless so $500 is not something I spend without first being informed.

So... complete set or not? Is the box and papers really worth $500? :think:

Thanks guys!

·
Banned
127 Posts
I bought my Speedmaster used, with no box or papers. Doesn't bother me one bit because it's been on my wrist where it belongs since I got it. Also, since I don't intend to sell it, I'm not worried about what not having a box and papers will do to potential value.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Box isn't worth the 500 premium for me. It will be worth less upon resale but you bought it for less so it will be a wash to you. And if you plan on keeping it then save the money.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
694 Posts
When you say it's $500 less than a complete set.. were you referring to a new (NOS) complete set, or a used complete set?

I think a used complete set goes for around $1800-2000, thus, $500 less is very substantial. If you are plan to use this watch as a daily beater, I'd suggest that you save this $500. Even if you decide to sell later down the road, you can afford to sell it at a lower price because of this substantial discount.

However, for the watch without the paperwork, best to have it verified to ensure it's legit.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Unless its highly collectible or rare or if there is a warranty involved then box and papers aren't needed or add that much value IMHO. The 2254.50 is a beautiful watch buts its far from rare and definitely out of its service period anyway, so whatever service you do is going to cost out of your pocket. In this instance, who cares about the box or papers. This is just mho.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I agree with marked. All else being equal, for a 2254, paying a $500 premium would not be worth it to me...but it really depends on how much you value the box and cards.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hello WUS,

Curious how you guys feel about buying used watches; do you find boxes and paperwork to be required? I have found a watch with original box, paperwork, and receipts as well as a watch without any of that! The watch without the original box and papers is $500 less than the complete set; which would you go with? I'm young and, technically speaking, jobless so $500 is not something I spend without first being informed.

So... complete set or not? Is the box and papers really worth $500? :think:

Thanks guys!
Buying a watch while being jobless isn't the best thing in the world. I assume you have some form of inheritance or are just extremely wealthy.

If wealthy just buy new at a boutique because money doesn't matter.

If inheritance or something similar do not buy a watch without papers unless you know what to look for and are able to open the back and poke around before money is exchanged.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The consensus amount some of my dealer friends is that while very important for Rolex, historically they haven't been bothered by papers and less so still by a box for Omegas. As a vintage collector I see premiums on full sets of $500 or more, but this also has to be with a good watch. I think the dealers are also changing their attitude.

i still buy a watch without papers if I like it, and especially if it is not very special.

From the information you post, it is not worth paying a premium for papers and box.

enjoy your watch!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Personally I would still buy a watch without B&P, especially if it's a modern one.

For vintage I might pay a premium for one with B&P, but if I had to choose between a pristine example w/o B&P and an average one with B&P, I would go for the one without.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Ha exactly. I only see the box two times. Once when I open the box when new and once when I put it in the box if I'm going to sell it. I always prefer to get boxes and papers but if there is a great deal on a watch I want without them, getting the watch is more important to me than getting the box.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
If your keeping the 2254 then buy without.
I'm with solesman. If you are going to wear the watch and keep the watch, well box and papers mean less. If you are going to buy the watch, put it away for 15 years or so, then box and papers could make a little difference. Having some understanding to your needs/wants, just buy the watch and wear it for the pure enjoyment of owning and wearing a 2254! There are only so many boxes/cards/papers that one can accommodate until the question arises....why? Omegas' are basically bought to be worn.

It's nice to have box and cards, but @$500, that is a very high premium to pay for such esoteric satisfaction.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts