• Meh

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came up on another forum where someone detected something wrong with their watch post purchase and you had one person mention they would never buy a new watch without looking at it with a loupe and another who said they have never purchased a display watch.

Asked someone I knew who works in a watch retail establishment and they said they have people every day who look at watches under a loupe before buying and roughly 80% of their customers don't want to buy the watches in the display case.

I was always under the belief that many bought the display model, and virtually no one looked at a watch under a loupe in a store....

And speaking for myself I have always bought what I believed were non display pieces (though no way of knowing with three of them, the third I saw them open the shipping container)

So my question is how many loupe it up before buying and also insist that their new from AD watches are "from the back" or special order? and do you typically get accommodated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
If i can't see imperfections with my unaided eyes, I am fine. Give it a week (or less) and there will be visible imperfections from normal wear. As for not taking a display item, many times, that is the only one of its kind in the shop and you may have to wait a while for one untouched by human hands. I am not sure what the point is if you plan on wearing the watch.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should clarify that this has no bearing on any pending purchase I have, just a curiosity thing for me.

I personally think it would be a challenge to truly verify an item was a "non display" item, especially if you have it shipped to you.

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
No offense to those who do it because it is a highly subjective thing and it's hurting no one, but it would make me feel like an idiot to enter a dealership and pull out a loupe. Of course I take a good look at what I am buying but that's the full extent of what I do.

To use an analogy, this would be akin to going to a car dealership and inspecting all the stitches on the seating area... Or checking with a loupe that all the gauges' needles are perfectly colored. Seems very anal, very OCD (and I have a little OCD in me, by the way...).

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
If i can't see imperfections with my unaided eyes, I am fine. Give it a week (or less) and there will be visible imperfections from normal wear. As for not taking a display item, many times, that is the only one of its kind in the shop and you may have to wait a while for one untouched by human hands. I am not sure what the point is if you plan on wearing the watch.
Hits the nail on the head ^^

Reactions: rfortson

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
When Buying New from a Dealer do you: 1. Use a Loupe before purchase 2. Insis...

Positive on 1st and 2nd question.
Moreover, if a seller proposed me a watch from display for a lesser price I prefer to pay more but to get something virgin,

And no, it relates to watches only ;)

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
When Buying New from a Dealer do you: 1. Use a Loupe before purchase 2. Insis...

I do a thorough inspection but usually leave the loupe at home, and if there is no back stock and the display model checks out (no visible wear) I'll take it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It will not matter if you are sold the display model, if it's the only one left in the store and it's the watch you want then you should have no issue as it will be sold to you with the full manufactures warrantee and in consumer Law your rights are protected. The store may be willing to discount the item as being a display , you may argue that, if the watch is running, if it is a battery operated watch, that the store either further discount or fit a new battery before you accept to purchase it. There is no harm whatsoever in trying to negotiate a deal or discount from the store, you get nothing by not asking. Most, if not all stores will match a price if you can show that it's cheaper elsewhere, you can often find that stores that sell online, the item can be a little more expensive in store but in my experience they will match price. As for using a loupe it's good for picking out those finer details but I would not use one to specifically look for faults, you can do a more detailed examination at your leisure at home and if anything you find is not to your satisfaction then you take it back to implement the warrantee.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not just specific to watch purchasing. I never buy anything on display unless it's coming with a deep discount. If I do buy a display then I make sure it has the same warranty/exchange/return policies as a new in box item. If not then I will be extra careful to check everything's in order. If buying new in box then I'll trust that it's finished and works to standards. If packaging permits then I'll do a quick check to see if it's all ok. When I'm home is when I do the closer inspections.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
I use a loupe once I come home to ensure there are no defects, but also to admire the detail in the dial, indices, movement.
I would not bring it to AD though - a visual check is sufficient, and I expect to wear the watch so if some swirlies\hairline scratches can be visible - I'm ok w it.

·
Registered
11,807 Posts
I look at the watch with my eyes and if I like it, and the price is right, I'll buy it. If something develops after the fact performance-wise (or I discover an existing problem), then I'll take it back for some sort of satisfaction. But generally, I don't expect perfection, just a nice watch that gives me satisfaction wearing it.

For comparison sake, the most I've ever spent on a watch is $2500, and that's rare. Maybe my position would be different if I spent more, but I don't think so. For me, it's not worth worrying about things like that.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
I always check for hand alignment and if it's a diver, bezel alignment. Both can be done by eye, so that's about the extent of my watch inspection.

·
Registered
880 Posts
usually I insist on non-display model when buying new watch, but sometimes when buying limited edition stuff it's nearly impossible to be picky. bought my LE Longines new once and I've got no choice. either take their display model or wait for God-knows-how-long.

·
Registered
796 Posts
i have only purchased a few watches at an actual brick and mortar dealer, I have never requested any of the stickers or anything like that be left in place, however I don't see anything wrong with asking for a non display watch. I you are spending the money do what makes you feel right about the purchase,

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
usually I insist on non-display model when buying new watch, but sometimes when buying limited edition stuff it's nearly impossible to be picky. bought my LE Longines new once and I've got no choice. either take their display model or wait for God-knows-how-long.
and if they don't have one do you then have them order it and wait?

I can see if the dealer is local but unless they ship this could be difficult, and then what guarantee do you have they aren't sending you the display model

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I assume you are talking about a 10x loupe. Long ago, I found using anything over 3x (strong reading glasses) is a mistake). Using 10x means you are looking for perfection & the chances of finding it are slim.

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
I look at the watch with my eyes and if I like it, and the price is right, I'll buy it. If something develops after the fact performance-wise (or I discover an existing problem), then I'll take it back for some sort of satisfaction. But generally, I don't expect perfection, just a nice watch that gives me satisfaction wearing it.

For comparison sake, the most I've ever spent on a watch is $2500, and that's rare. Maybe my position would be different if I spent more, but I don't think so. For me, it's not worth worrying about things like that.
Agreed. Saves a lot of stress . . . .

Reactions: rfortson
1 - 20 of 22 Posts