WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were buying an expensive watch do you expect the AD to order a brand new watch from the factory to be delivered to you?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Not necessarily. If the displayed watch is in mint condition, then its perfectly ok to pick it up and not have to wait to get a new one. If it has scratches or dings, then definitely order a new one. Its just preference really, if it looks good enough to you, buy it, if not, get them to order you one and wait for it.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think most ADs distinguish between display models and actual watches for sale - it's likely not economically viable. I have been disappointed on a few occasions when I was ready to buy a watch and it had dings and scratches on it. I am amazed at how poorly some ADs treat their watches. I saw one salesperson knock the watch on the underside of the cabinet as she was taking it out - I cringed and said "I don't want that one anymore".

I try to stick to watches that have all their stickers in tact

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
I actually would prefer to get the watch I have in my hands on rather than one I've never seen before.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
That depends? If considered jewelry, I would say that like a diamond ring, it is new until purchased. If considered a collectors piece, I would say the moment someone other then the AD or me touches it.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Is a car no longer brand new if someone else test-drove it but didn't purchase it?

·
Registered
27,204 Posts
Is a car no longer brand new if someone else test-drove it but didn't purchase it?
Good point. If i drove a new car with a over 100 miles on it i wouldn't want it. I think if there's visible damage on a watch ask for a different one, otherwise I would take it then and there. Everyone know Petty was right, the waiting is the hardest part!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
If it is over 50 miles then i'll ask for a new one.
I actually hate car & watch analogies so my example probably isnt the best.

I don't know if I would ask for a new car if it had 50 miles, but I would definitely demand a lower price.

Scratches on a watch at an AD= order a new one.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
50 miles... that is ridiculous. Maybe you should ask how many times the watch has been wound up???
If someone purchases-- become un new once he wears the watch (not just try on)

I actually hate car & watch analogies so my example probably isnt the best.

I don't know if I would ask for a new car if it had 50 miles, but I would definitely demand a lower price.

Scratches on a watch at an AD= order a new one.

·
Premium Member
22,594 Posts
I've noticed that at some ADs, the sales representatives wear expensive high-end watches, that change from time to time. I assume they're just wearing the merchandise as opposed to their personal watches, so that practice does really raise the question of where we draw the line about "new" watches.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts