Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4'10" tall wife wearing a 50mm Parnis Uboat homage:-d

This monster looks big even on my 7" wrist...LOL I just had to see it on her tiny wrist. It's on the last hole in the strap..hahahha!!

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Looks fine to me, make sure you post pics in Affordables and Dive watch subfora for real kudos though...they love the hub cap watch wearin' styles.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I personally wouldn't wear a watch that big in proportion to the size of your wrist. Have you tried wearing your watch with the face on the pulse of your wrist? The watch will wear relatively smaller - though with the shown size, I think it will still be too big. Plus, a nice strap with a favorite buckle will present itself nicely. But, if you like it the way it is now, then go for it. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
12,736 Posts
It would be more clownish as opposed to cartoonish if you tightened up the strap. :-d

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I think you would require a wrist of over 8.5 inches to carry a 50mm watch off, with aplomb! Well, that is, assuming the lug-to-lug length to be 55mm or more ...

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
When my friends started calling me Flava-Flav for this one, HAH! It's a monster on me at 46x46mm, but I like it, anyway.....
Josh

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
It's too big when Chuck Norris says it's too big.
It's too big when women snicker behind your back, children cower behind their parent's legs upon seeing it, and old men grumble under their breath in your direction. For instance, that 46 x 46 mm Parnis thing above on what looks like a wrist that's under 7" in circumference. I get the whole "just like a clock off an instrument panel" look - but does it have to be the same size as the instrument panel clock? Sorry dude, but that's the horological equivalent to a 2 foot tall whale tail on a Honda Civic with a muffler that sounds like a pissed off bumblebee in a soda can.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
flava flave!! hahhahah!! Awesome posts, keep 'em coming :) I just had to see that Parnis on my wife's wrist, I knew it would be hilarious. I agree, the 50mm is almost too big, I usually stay around 42-44mm, but I saw this for sale in the forsale forum, and just had to give it a whirl...LOL I have a buddy who loves huge watches that I know is going to want this anyway....LOL

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
When is a watch too big? When people laugh at it. Giant watches on small wrists attract derision, maybe not to your face, but trust me. They laugh. Wear what pleases you, certainly, but be aware that it attracts unfavorable attention.

I suspect the OP is having a joke, as the watch is obviously ill-fitted.

I'm glad you like your Parnis, but I would advise against wearing it to a job interview, a first date (scratch that, on any date), or to meet your girlfriend's father.

Small is elegant and classy.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Hmmmm, I foresee a trade between Tzimisces and carpevicis' wife to get proper fitting watches on their respective wrists. :-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hahs!! from one extreme to another, I like it! :) Here is the same watch on my 7 1/4" wrist...still waaay too big, but I'm getting old, and I can actually see the numbers!! LOL

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hmmmm, I foresee a trade between Tzimisces and carpevicis' wife to get proper fitting watches on their respective wrists. :-d:-d:-d
No way, 22mm is my sweet spot.:-!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do have a thing for vintage Gruens and Elgins, but I don't know, something about the way those small cases look on my wrist seems a bit feminine... but they do fit under a cuff better when I wear a suit....

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
It's too big when women snicker behind your back, children cower behind their parent's legs upon seeing it, and old men grumble under their breath in your direction. For instance, that 46 x 46 mm Parnis thing above on what looks like a wrist that's under 7" in circumference. I get the whole "just like a clock off an instrument panel" look - but does it have to be the same size as the instrument panel clock? Sorry dude, but that's the horological equivalent to a 2 foot tall whale tail on a Honda Civic with a muffler that sounds like a pissed off bumblebee in a soda can.
I believe that those are known as "fart cans"

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
Surprisingly that actually looks kind of ok on the OPs wrist (rather than the wrist in the OP).
I don't really get the whole big watch thing though.
Small but perfectly formed is the way to go. At least that's what Mrs wmw keeps reassuring me...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.