WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The concept of brand in the Soviet Union was very different than in the West. For example, at one time or another 4 or 5 factories were engaged in producing Pobeda (victory) watches in post-war times and at least 3 factories manufactured the Lip-derived T-18/1802 Zvesda movements in the 1950s and 60s.

Less well known is the story of the Chaika (seagull) marque. In the late 1950s and 1960s, before the Uglich factory began to produce the Chaika-branded watches for which that factory is famous, the Tschistopolsky factory (which would later produce Vostok watches) produced Chaika-branded watches that included the name and a stylized graphic of a seagull in flight on the dial. Several dial variations were produced. Unfortunately, these Tschistopolsky Chaikas are seldom seen these days and even harder to buy.

Here is one that came to me with Dieter Brunow's collection. There are 3 others, as well. To see more photos of this one and the other 3, visit my website and look for numbers 0686, 0687, 0688, 0689.

-- Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The concept of brand in the Soviet Union was very different than in the West. For example, at one time or another 4 or 5 factories were engaged in producing Pobeda (victory) watches in post-war times and at least 3 factories manufactured the Lip-derived T-18/1802 Zvesda movements in the 1950s and 60s.

Less well known is the story of the Chaika (seagull) marque. In the late 1950s and 1960s, before the Uglich factory began to produce the Chaika-branded watches for which that factory is famous, the Tschistopolsky factory (which would later produce Vostok watches) produced Chaika-branded watches that included the name and a stylized graphic of a seagull in flight on the dial. Several dial variations were produced. Unfortunately, these Tschistopolsky Chaikas are seldom seen these days and even harder to buy.

Here is one that came to me with Dieter Brunow's collection. There are 3 others, as well. To see more photos of this one and the other 3, visit my website and look for numbers 0686, 0687, 0688, 0689.

-- Mark
Fine! And very interesting post b-)

This watch looks to me like my 8-sided Vostok:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Mark is very right and as usual informative for all of us.
Chaika with the flying Seagull in white and black dials and this beautiful octagonal body is a yy3 factory production (later to become branded Boctok). before the branding of yy3 as Boctok there were several yy3 watches trade-marked under various names like the famous Almaz and Volna, the KOLOS etc, one of them being the chaika. I believe that there was even a Boctok- trademarked watch before the branding of yy3 as Boctok!
Same has happened with the 1My3 that was branded later POLJOT (ΠΟΛΕΤ). Again there were many 1My3 watches trademarked under various names like Kirovskie, stolisnie, rodina, sturmanskie, kosmos, orbita etc etc before the name poljot was adopted to replace 1My3 as a brand of watches. Again, there was a poljot trademarked watch before the adoption of poljot as a brand to replace the 1My3!
But to my knowledge and memory, ONLY the Chaika-yy3 creates a potential confusion between a trademarked watch of a factory and the the Brand of a factory.
Worth to notice, that there have been though some confusions among trademarks and factory brands producing them: Pobeda is the most classical example of a multi-trademark. Sputnik is another, as it has been produced both by 1My3 and the yy3.

last, V, mark's Chaika are evidently the same watches produced by yy3 renamed as Boctok . Normaly inside your Boctok, you may still have the heart of a yy3 beating, as they had stocks of mechanisms and bodies at the date of Branding the yy3 as Boctok.
If y open it y may verify if mechanism is a Boctok or an older one stamped yy3. Both are beautiful. Chaika is rare as an 'extinguished'-discontinued trademark and yours is rare as it bears a new Brand on an 'extinguished'-discontinued body...
dedatos

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Very interesting pics all the above.!!!
1. They show a nice variety of BOCTOK graphics. Some of these 'primitive period graphics' show the 8gonal watch was trade-marked Boctok most probably before the factory has been branded Boctok . COULD YOU PLEASE CONTROL IF THE MECHANISMS INSIDE WERE STAMPED BOCTOK OR yy3????

2. This immaculate CHAIKA white dial with printed standard letters and without the seagull, smells to be a bit 'new dial'.
Anyone who can show us its inside mechanism? If it is B-stamped, then it is newly done! But even if inside there is a yy3 this proves nothing. Anyone who has this chaika without seagull?
dedatos

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Very interesting pics all the above.!!!
1. They show a nice variety of BOCTOK graphics. Some of these 'primitive period graphics' show the 8gonal watch was trade-marked Boctok most probably before the factory has been branded Boctok . COULD YOU PLEASE CONTROL IF THE MECHANISMS INSIDE WERE STAMPED BOCTOK OR yy3????

2. This immaculate CHAIKA white dial with printed standard letters and without the seagull, smells to be a bit 'new dial'.
Anyone who can show us its inside mechanism? If it is B-stamped, then it is newly done! But even if inside there is a yy3 this proves nothing. Anyone who has this chaika without seagull?
dedatos
Mine has the Vostok's B, so it should be a new one.
But how much old may be it? What is the Vostok's production period for this watch?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Chaikas with yy3 stamped mechanism should be from the period 1958-61. Yours as a B-stamped mechanism should be somewhere in between 1962-65 and I would say nearer to 62.
dedatos
Thank you, dedatos! :thanks

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Hi,

I have one with a gilt case, and a yy3 17 jewels movement. But my watch has different hands. The dial is damaged so I did not know it was a Vostok.:)
Some photo, please? :thanks

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I resume this, in my opinion, evergreen (not plastic :-d) post, to show some of my recent 8-sided acquisitions.

A Chaika with no segull :-|

with a B movement:

A not running Kama :-s

whose (broken) movement is a chch3 of first quarter 1959:

and a black dial Vostok, similar (in cyrillic characters) to the Rproch's one:

and, last but not least, the Drujba

with its 15j movement :roll:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
One more boctok-the black one- that has a rare dial!
And a green croko druzba!!!
Good catch indeed!!
Yr chaika is a bit posterior to that of mark Gordon's. This may make it even more rare because it is a transition piece: Mechanism is already branded boctok and not yy3 BUT dial is still not Bostokized!!
Dedatos Verdi (Verde?)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
One more boctok-the black one- that has a rare dial!
And a green croko druzba!!!
Good catch indeed!!
Yr chaika is a bit posterior to that of mark Gordon's. This may make it even more rare because it is a transition piece: Mechanism is already branded boctok and not yy3 BUT dial is still not Bostokized!!
Dedatos Verdi (Verde?)
Thank you, dedatos! :thanks
All what you say is so interesting...

But better you don't call yourself Verde, because there is a common saying, in italian, about being green (verde) due to envy :-d

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Hold on - I'm confused. Is this thread about 8-sided watches? Which are presumed to be Chaikas?

I think I've seen just about every kind of Russian watch in 8-sided cases. What is the significance of 8-sided cases?

·
Banned
772 Posts
Vaurien, your watches are gorgeous my friend! I hope you don't live around North Van., Canada, or else I will start chasing you and (of course) your watches!!!

I particularly like your Drujba. I see Chinese letters. Is it made in China or made in CCCP to be exported to China?

Best regards . . .

Serdal
Master Mariner
North Van., Canada

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Vaurien, your watches are gorgeous my friend! I hope you don't live around North Van., Canada, or else I will start chasing you and (of course) your watches!!!

I particularly like your Drujba. I see Chinese letters. Is it made in China or made in CCCP to be exported to China?

Best regards . . .

Serdal
Master Mariner
North Van., Canada
I'm living in Italy (until Italy will exist :roll:)

The Drujba is a CCCP watch. I will quote Mark Gordon:
- Introduced at the "First Exhibition of Economic and Cultural Achievements of the USSR" in Beijing in 1954.
- Produced for export to China.
(see Mark Gordon site: http://www.ussrtime.com/start.html )

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Hold on - I'm confused. Is this thread about 8-sided watches? Which are presumed to be Chaikas?

I think I've seen just about every kind of Russian watch in 8-sided cases. What is the significance of 8-sided cases?
Maybe we extended the context. ;-)
Sorry for confusion, if there is, but I think the discussion have been interesting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.