WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 130 Posts

· Registered
2,682 Posts
It's always ok to buy a quartz if that's what you want. There are many times that the quartz watch may even be the better choice, such as a grab and go beater for the weekends.

Here's a couple of my quartz watches, a King Seiko Quartz and a Darth Tuna, and both were bought because of the quartz movement. The Tuna because the movement was specifically designed for the watch and it makes sense for a tough dive watch to have a tough movement. The King was bought because it's a relatively high end watch which was one of the first of it's kind and it is also a bargain. Vintage Quartz watches from the early 70's sell for the same or cheaper as something like a Seiko 5 from the same era, but the Quartz was cutting edge technology back then and the Seiko 5 movement is nothing special.

· Banned
2,799 Posts
If one has to ask.................

Nobody cares how you spend your own money, period. There is never a "wrong" time to buy a mech or a quartz watch because again, nobody cares and there are no rules.

Questions like the OP asked sound like the drivel that comes out of advertising companies.

· Registered
238 Posts
My 2 cents of an answer...when you find one that you like, that simple.

There are +'s and -'s to each "power" source...hand wind, auto/kinetic, quartz, or solar. If you see one that speaks to you either cognitively or emotionally, or in some cases actually talks to you and that's what you want...then get it.

It's your money, it's your life. There will always be people who think any decision that they don't agree with is wrong...who cares what other's think. If you like it...buy it, if you like it a lot, wear it a lot. Life's too short!

· Registered
4,280 Posts
question was pretty much answered already for me, i like chrongoraph looks, but not auto prices/service costs. so quartz works in some cases
the big con - i started out indifferent to big ticking seconds on quartz, now i definitlely shy away from them. chronos with small seconds - i'm good.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

where the pictures at tho'

· Registered
8,610 Posts
You sure seem to care. You rip people all the time for buying stuff you think is overpriced or snobby. No?

If one has to ask.................

Nobody cares how you spend your own money, period. There is never a "wrong" time to buy a mech or a quartz watch because again, nobody cares and there are no rules.

Questions like the OP asked sound like the drivel that comes out of advertising companies.

· Registered
10,940 Posts
If you're buying quartz to just barely squeeze into the price range of an expensive brand because it's an expensive brand, you're doing it wrong.

Otherwise, you're probably doing it right.

As long as the quartz product is a good price/performance fit it's fine. I do think that you'll eventually hit a price where it's really hard to justify quartz (even HAQ), but that's not really within the scope of F71.

I tend to prefer quartz for jobs that the inexpensive/reliable/minimal-service-cost automatics don't excel at -- Chronos, lighted watches, dual-time, and other special function watches-- but there are plenty of good quartz watches out there that are worth owning and I have a few really nice three hand quartz watches as well.

The Alpina Startimers with the Big Date are actually the model I'd look at *first* when shopping Alpina. Those are stupidly sexy and quartz gives you lots of benefits there. I'm not aware of any big-date auto-chronos at less than 10x the price. Breitling? Perrelet? Sure... go nuts, but those suckers are NOT cheap nor cheap to own when service is factored in.

Reactions: mike120

· Registered
2,325 Posts
When it comes to movements, there are groups who love automatics and those who love quartz. Some in each group will have both. You can find automatics and quartz from the most affordable all they way to high end brands. Case in point, Rolex and Omega have quartz models in their collection. Probably the most popular Omega would be the Aqua Terra.
FYI - Rolex don't have any quartz in their collection currently. They had to produce a quartz 'OysterQuartz' movement during the Quartz era to survive in the market and they stopped its production in 2000. Its been over decade and half. So, your statement is incorrect for now.

· Registered
21,171 Posts
I'm reading this topic while wearing my nearly 20 years old quartz watch.

Mechanical watches are nice but there are situations where mechanical watches shouldn't be involved. For example you are spending a certain period of time in a place with no watch service available. Quartz watches have fixed battery life and changing battery in most quartz watches are quite easy. I once had to change my watch's battery when I were abroad, luckily I had the caseback opener and a spare battery in my luggage.

Reactions: Hoonnu and sunny27

· Registered
5,591 Posts
Answer to the question (OQ?): It's always OK. It's your money.
My take? I think automatics are more interesting. I like the fact that my moving around winds them. I like the tiny little gears and things. I like the movement of the second hand. I like the no battery. And the analogness. I really like wearing my automatics. I wear them most of the time.
But the last two watches I've purchased have been quartz. Why? Because they were interesting to me.

And because this thread needs pictures:
This watch has a killer dial, the first "even only" that I've even considered, and great lume. Plus, a big date that I can actually see. AND TiCN plating that resists scratches and is kinda unique as far as I know. And, it reminds me of a great vacation to Hawaii.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

I bought this one because it had a sandwich dial, a nifty little propeller thing, and I thought it'd look bad-a$$ on a worn out leather NATO:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

My most expensive automatic cost $XXX. My most expensive quartz watch cost half of that (XXX/2). That sounds like a reasonable formula.

21 - 40 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.