WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to go to NY next year; trying to arrange so my trip can fall on a good day, such as the Swatch Group Sample Sale :-!.

Is the sale announced some time ahead, or you just wake up one morning and the sale is up?

Anyone has any information?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I plan to go to NY next year; trying to arrange so my trip can fall on a good day, such as the Swatch Group Sample Sale :-!.

Is the sale announced some time ahead, or you just wake up one morning and the sale is up?

Anyone has any information?
I have never heard of this before. But it sounds awesome!
A little googling I found this:
November 15 - 9am to 8pm
November 16 - 8am to 7pm
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1564670-SWATCH_sample_sale_Nov_15_and_16-New_York_City_New_York.html

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
I have never heard of this before. But it sounds awesome!
A little googling I found this:
November 15 - 9am to 8pm
November 16 - 8am to 7pm
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1564670-SWATCH_sample_sale_Nov_15_and_16-New_York_City_New_York.html
"Swatch, Rado, Longines, Tissot, Flik Flak, Timberland, and more."

Sample sales are more part of the fashion industry - usually the preliminary pieces used as template for the line, or things bought to knock off (er.. ,reference), or just stuff laying around that they need to get rid of. (wife worked years in garment biz - designing Juniors for OP - she still does work for others, but no more of those sales where I got $400 ski jackets for $40 :-()

Now the idea of picking up a prototype Speedy for bargain basement prices sounds pretty good, buy highly unlikely :).

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This sale is real; they don't sell prototypes or anything, just 'excess inventory' or whatever. Usually up to 75% off.

Read this thread and weep at the missed opportunity.

There was one in 2006, and one in Nov. 07 (y'all just missed it! Me too come to think of it... dang!).

I'm trying to figure out, well in advance, when is the 2008 sale... I wanna go!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, did anyone go this year? If so, what are the thoughts on the event?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I guess I missed out on it again this year. I always find out about these after the fact. Tourneau also has a sample sale at the same place every year as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Guys, I live in New York and will definitely let everyone know ahead of time next year when the Swatch Group sample sale is scheduled.
The event is definitely worth going to. I've had the opportunity to buy a yellow gold Speedy Professional and a Red Gold Day Date Speedy both at 75% off retail.
For 1 minute I hesitated and then made the purchase :)
I figured it was one of those once in a lifetime deals so I went for it. Of course this means that will have to make sure I dont buy anything else in the next two years or more!

the catch however is that the watch does not come with a box but is guaranteed by the swatch group for a period of two years from the date of purchase.

Cheers!

Michael

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Those are defiantly missed opportunities on the Omegas. But Rado, Longines and even some Swatches are quite nice, and at those prices would make ideal Christmas gifts.
I'm about to miss out on some Omegas today. There is a very small auction about 10 miles away from where I live with 2 gold Seamasters with a target price of £150 - £200 and a ladies gold De-Ville with all original box and paper work with a target price of £250. But my son's first ever Christmas concert is at the same time. He's one of the six (????????) kings. I'm sure one event will be priceless though.

Anyway, are these Swatch sales just NY based, or do they hold them in other countries too?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyway, are these Swatch sales just NY based, or do they hold them in other countries too?
This is a NY based event by the Swatch group themselves.

I've heard of similar events in other countries, mostly done by ADs.

Myself I am in Montreal, Canada; NY is six hours away by car. If properly organized, it's possible for me to go to NY to pick up something, sleep at my cousin's, and come back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts