WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to see what you all think about this. Down here people love their cars, and I'll see guys driving $100,000 cars with a cheap watch on their wrist. Don't get me wrong, we have some nice watches floating around, but it seems that when people come into money here, the first thing they do is go out and buy a fancy car.

Have you all noticed the same trend? For some of you folks who have followed watches for a longer time than I, has this always been the case?

·
Registered
19,846 Posts
I think most of people will get a new car when they suddenly have some big money, the car is 1,000 times bigger than a watch and you got recognized 100 times faster.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Okay, I'm about to lay out some beans on myself here... I'm expecting a serious chunk of money soon from a legal settlement due to a car wreck I was in earlier this year, so I can safely say that I was briefly considering a new car, but after thinking about it, I realised that there's nothing wrong with mine. I'm in an 8 year old VW Jetta, and VW's are solid. Therefore, I'm going to take a drive to my nearest AD (which is two hours or so away via Interstate 10) and purchase an Omega Speedmaster Pro. :) It's quickly taking the place of the Rolex Sub as my top grail.

·
Registered
800 Posts
When people get money, the tend to get the ar first, as most people are in need of a good car more than a good watch.

When I first made decent money, I saved and bought the new car first. No sense in driving an old crappy car and wearing a nice new watch, right?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I started with guns, then the watch, then the car, then the women...
same wavelength...... only I was closer to
1. women (of questionable virtue preferably)
2. Beer
3. Probably 1. again
(repeat until dead or at least incapacitated)

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Depends where do you live...in NYC
Watch first. Car cause headache, guns are not allowed and I don't pay for women.

result of that, single for 8yrs collecting watch in NYC.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I started with guns, then the watch, then the car, then the women...
Guns... I already have enough of those to occupy a small country with, although I've got my eye on a newer model Barrett. :) The car is good, as I'm in a VW in good running order. The women? I have the best woman any man could ask for (looks, intelligence, and a sense of humor), so that just leaves the really nice watch. :D

same wavelength...... only I was closer to
1. women (of questionable virtue preferably)
2. Beer
3. Probably 1. again
(repeat until dead or at least incapacitated)
My fiancee qualifies, so I'm set there too. Beer? I live in the Deep South (tm), so Beer is a way of life here despite most of it being the inferior mass-produced domestic swill the average mundane drinks. I only drink Imports, Domestic Microbrews, or Domestic Premiums, in that order of preference. :)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Usually the first thing people do when they come into money unless they know better is get into debt, far more debt than they were in before they came into money and then came the tax man (repeat cycle until learn better).

First thing I did when I started earning money was put it into RRSPs and save for overseas property, where I intend to retire (back in the EU). Had a nice car going into college, and lots of watches, too. Spouse made me get rid of some of my cars, but then, properties increase in value ... and a darn good thing given the finance crisis (and to think, could of "wasted" it much better on things like, say, more cars and watches ... we've a lovely property overlooking the sea, though ;)

Cheers.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My watch costs more than my daly driver! I want to sell my other car so I can buy another watch. Does anyone want a C3 Corvette?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It really depends on where you live. The US is literally one of the cheapest places globally to buy and own a car. Plus it's a huge place...NY you can do with public transport, but I doubt that's possible in L.A. or Houston. Other countries make it a lot tougher to own a car versus a watch.

Like in Hong Kong, cars have a 190% duty slapped on them...and a parking space in a condo usually comes out to like USD $1000/month and up (as in where your residence is...units don't always come with a free slot). Then you need to shell out another $2-3k/month for your parking space at the office assuming it's in downtown Central. Gas also costs something like $5/gallon because of taxes. Compared to a taxi that's usually $5-10 per trip because they run on LPG, cars are a complete luxury item so I know a ton of people there that will buy a Patek way before they bother with a car.

Singapore is even worse - you need to buy a certificate which bestows the owner the RIGHT to buy a car, and that's usually about $20-50,000 USD depending on the engine size. That doesn't take into account seriously crazy road taxes....one of my clients owns an Audi R8 4.2 there....he spent about USD $350,000 buying the car and I'm guessing $10-15,000 per year on road tax. Even a Toyota Corolla costs USD $60,000+ to buy so unless I'm filthy sinking rich (or an expatriate where my company provides a car), I'm taking a frigging taxi and buying myself 3-4 grails |>

1 - 20 of 49 Posts