WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking for the SGW 100 I landed on wristwatch.com. They have the watch for $46,15. But shipping to germany is $41,95.....so i guess i wont buy from them :think:

PS: Is it true that the SGW 100 Compass only shows up for 2 seconds or so and it doesnt show permanently?

·
Registered
510 Posts
IIRC I bought mine from a German seller on eBay.

The compass takes a reading everytime you push the button for only a few secs. After that it stays in compass mode ready to take another reading, but you have to push the button again.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
so if your lost in the bush/desert and you want to get home, you have to push the compass over and over again to see the direction??

·
Registered
5,160 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[/QUOTE] The compass takes a reading everytime you push the button for only a few secs. After that it stays in compass mode ready to take another reading, but you have to push the button again. [/QUOTE]

so if your lost in the bush/desert and you want to get home, you have to push the compass over and over again to see the direction??

·
Registered
510 Posts
If you're lost in the bush/desert and you want to get home, are you going to look at the compass all the time instead of at where you're going??

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
After looking for the SGW 100 I landed on wristwatch.com. They have the watch for $46,15. But shipping to germany is $41,95.....so i guess i wont buy from them :think:
i bought mine from singapore ebay seller "watches-bay" for 53 US$ = 37 eur. including free shipment and i didn't have to pay customs or tax.

PS: Is it true that the SGW 100 Compass only shows up for 2 seconds or so and it doesnt show permanently?
no, this is not true. the electronic compass shows bearing after pressing "D" button for 10 seconds and goes into "rest" mode afterwards. to get a new bearing simply press "D" button again. btw: no electronic compass in any watch i'm aware of (no matter of the brand) does show the bearing permanently because it takes alot of power. there are watches that shows the bearing for 30 seconds or so but thats about it. it is of course not necessary to have a permanent bearing. usually you are looking for a recognizable item, target it and go for it. this might be a tree, a rock or whatever. when this item have been reached you take another bearing for the next item and so on and so forth...

cheers

·
Registered
521 Posts
The compass takes a reading everytime you push the button for only a few secs. After that it stays in compass mode ready to take another reading, but you have to push the button again. [/QUOTE]

so if your lost in the bush/desert and you want to get home, you have to push the compass over and over again to see the direction??[/QUOTE]

That's right. But compass alone won't get you home. A map is also needed where your have put reference marks.;-)

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I wonder why they charge so much to ship to Germany? I shipped a GW-6900 to a fellow WUS member in Germany about a month ago for around 9 dollars US? Doesn't make any sense?

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I wonder why they charge so much to ship to Germany? I shipped a GW-6900 to a fellow WUS member in Germany about a month ago for around 9 dollars US? Doesn't make any sense?
After years of shipping stuff from the US to Oz, I find that it's either paranoia of people from other countries and the potential difficulty with recovering lost funds due to CC fraud (so shipping via courier is the only option)...

...or it's simply a way to make extra profit out of OS buyers who may not have many other options. Often you'll see free shipping to US buyers and $40+ to ship OS...it simply doesn't cost anywhere near that much to send a G safely via USPS. You can see that by the sticker price on the parcel. Usually it's around $12 to $16 to Oz...about as far away as it gets.

Lets face it, OS buyers are probably not providing significant revenue for US shops, so they perceive it more as a hassle and price accordingly, perhaps to discourage OS buyers. :think:

Of course, there are quite a lot of US shops which have a more international friendly policy like Top-One for example.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
take a tip from bear grylls ..... check your compass, line-up a tree, then walk, then when you get to the tree, repeat!

ie you shouldnt need to be looking at your compass every second. watch your step!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts