WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I purchased an Omega Seamaster Professional Ceramic in blue. Loved the watch back then and still do to this day.

Recently however, I find myself wearing it less and less. After picking up a Tudor GMT and an Explorer in the last 12 months, the Omega hardly gets any wrist time. Looking ahead, I have another incoming, a Sub, which means the wrist time for Omega is likely going to be a even less. I find this a great shame as it’s a fantastic watch.

Although it doesn’t get the wrist time it probably deserves, if I had to pick only one watch to keep, it would probably be the Omega. I have many memories attached to the watch and feel like it’s a trusty friend.

I’m wondering if anyone feels the same about their timepieces and how you’ve handled a growing collection? Do you keep pieces you have become attached to, despite them not being worn so often, or do you move these along to be worn and enjoyed by someone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
It’s a phenomenal watch, and I think there;s a very good chance it would find its way back into rotation when the novelty of the new has worn off. If you can afford to keep it, I would say keep it. It;s a lot cheaper than buying one back again when you realise you miss it!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Just keep it, it’s a lovely watch and it’s not like it’s in the way. Also make your sub the last purchase for a while or you’ll find the omega getting buried under your new toys

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Each watch goes through a honeymoon phase, and then you get used to is, and potentially bored with it. Were in your position, I would keep the Omega for a while, and maybe in a few months or even a year dig it back out again, you may find you "fall in love" with it again.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Yes, I have the same issue with many watches in my collection. Sometimes I’ll place them in a watch box untouched for a while. Usually , I find that I’m glad I didn’t sell them and start wearing them again.

Reactions: nighthawk77

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've never sold any of my watches but have for the first time recently started to consider it. But if I had good memories attached to a watch, there's no way I'd sell that one unless i was in financial need. I'm not much into dive watches, but that one's a beauty.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It depends on your financial situation. You have a few thousand dollars sitting on the sidelines. If that's ok for you, keep it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
583 Posts
A few years ago I purchased an Omega Seamaster Professional Ceramic in blue. Loved the watch back then and still do to this day.

Recently however, I find myself wearing it less and less. After picking up a Tudor GMT and an Explorer in the last 12 months, the Omega hardly gets any wrist time. Looking ahead, I have another incoming, a Sub, which means the wrist time for Omega is likely going to be a even less. I find this a great shame as it’s a fantastic watch.

Although it doesn’t get the wrist time it probably deserves, if I had to pick only one watch to keep, it would probably be the Omega. I have many memories attached to the watch and feel like it’s a trusty friend.

I’m wondering if anyone feels the same about their timepieces and how you’ve handled a growing collection? Do you keep pieces you have become attached to, despite them not being worn so often, or do you move these along to be worn and enjoyed by someone else?

It depends on who you are. If you are like me and you don’t like watches just sitting around, then flipping them makes sense. However, some people don’t mind owning “safe queens“, or a watch they only wear a few times a year. What type of person are you?

Also, I just listened to a very interesting podcast regarding this very issue which you might want to check out before you make a decision. Worn and Wound episode 131 deals with watches the hosts regret selling. A recurring theme was the fact that selling those watches seemed like a good idea at the time, but in retrospect not so much. One other thing, one of the commentators made a very good point when he said that sometimes you have to give watches time. What he meant by that is that impulse selling can be a regrettable experience. I can relate to that.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
What watch to sell has the same answer as what watch to buy. It depends. One thing is for certain, the more watches you get the less wrist time any single watch sees, on the average. I have a SMP and 5 other watches. The SMP has a lot of sentimental value to me and will never be on the chopping block. However, I go months without wearing. Which is fine, since it was my only watch for 4 or so yrs. I don't have a problem letting watches sit that I like. Less wrist time also means less wear and tear. And unlike a car, unused watches don't take up much space.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Wrist time is one major axis of whether I keep or sell. Another axis that I sometimes have to remind myself about is whether what I’m getting can replace the one I’m selling, which then leads down a more reflective and subjective path.

Would agree with most here though: if you can afford to keep the SMP, you should!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I usually loan it to another watch friend and I see if I miss it or not.

Most of the time, I end up being very happy with the core I have, so I end up downsizing the collection. And I use the funds to make impulse purchases of another. I have a problem.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm in the 'kick it to the curb' camp...if you don't wear it (and there is no story, sentimental value), don't keep it, sell or trade and move on to other things.

You don't NEED a watch, you WANT a watch. If it does not tickle you emotionally, cut it loose.

I traded my JLC Master Control (the three-hand, date version) for my Snowflake. The forum overall disagreed and said I should keep it. I don't regret it and I don't miss it and I won't miss it. I was barely wearing it and I was just tired of it (no matter how good it was).

I don't want a big collection, I want a good collection.

HOWEVER:
--If the honeymoon phase ends on your new stuff (unlikely, those are nice pieces!) and you start wearing the Omega more, obviously that means it's a keeper.
--This is a buyers market, so your sale price might be depressed right now.
--Make sure this does not fill a need in your collection (I don't think so based on what you have, want to get) and you will rebuy it or a similar piece to replace it.

EDIT: most important point. Don't keep it because of pressure from the forums, or a sense of duty. Keep it if you WANT to keep it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I say keep it for awhile longer and see if you start wearing it more. My collection gets rotated regularly and I've thought about moving in from time to time but I know I'd miss what I sold. If after you have your new ones for awhile and you aren't wearing the Omega then part ways. Another 6 months isn't going to change the resale much of any so you have nothing to lose.

Reactions: nighthawk77
1 - 20 of 70 Posts