WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm a neewbie to this forum, and a novice at watches, so please excuse any ignorance of "the obvious".

I'm wondering if anyone has info on the time span that Certina Argonaut 220 was made?
Was it made just in the 1960s and 1970s, or has the watch been produced at later dates (retro models, etc).

Also, I've seen Certina Argonaut 220s on the web that have the word "certina automatic" written on the top of the dial, while others just have "certina".

Are these two versions of the dial both legit, or does one of them indicate something fishy?

Ok, grateful for any info on this!
regards,
Michael

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Hi and welcome.:)

I think they were late 60's into the 70's. If you look here:

Vintage CERTINAs ¦ Home and browse the adverts (under miscellaneous) you may find references to the Argonaut. There is an ad from 1968 showing a model called 'New Art' which is Argonaut like, and the next sample, from 1969, mentions the Argonaut. You might like to look through the brochures on that site as well - I don't have time just now - and let us know what you find.

Argonaut (2).JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at the brochures on the site you mentioned, the 220 is included in the 1972 catalogue, but not in any of the others. The new art watch you mentioned is not a 220, not a model in its own right.

But I will keep looking for more info and post it here if and when I find it.

Hi and welcome.:)

I think they were late 60's into the 70's. If you look here:

Vintage CERTINAs ¦ Home and browse the adverts (under miscellaneous) you may find references to the Argonaut. There is an ad from 1968 showing a model called 'New Art' which is Argonaut like, and the next sample, from 1969, mentions the Argonaut. You might like to look through the brochures on that site as well - I don't have time just now - and let us know what you find.

View attachment 366270

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Good man. BTW, there were both manual and automatic versions. Mine is a manual wind.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, I just one wonderful automatic version today in the post.
BTW: does automatic mean that you can both use manaul wind and "automatic"?
or should one refrain from winding an automatic clock?

regards,
Michael

Good man. BTW, there were both manual and automatic versions. Mine is a manual wind.:)

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Well done - but we need pictures.:-!

Most, not all, automatics can be manually wound. However, it is good practice not to do this too much - just to get them started - as it may damage the mechanism. Or so I understand - I think there was a thread about this - maybe in the Public forum.:think:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, thanks. will look for that thread. if you by any chance happen to find it, it would be grat if yu'd post the link here.
regards,
Ok, here's the 220!
/M

Well done - but we need pictures.:-!

Most, not all, automatics can be manually wound. However, it is good practice not to do this too much - just to get them started - as it may damage the mechanism. Or so I understand - I think there was a thread about this - maybe in the Public forum.:think:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,743 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
What an interesting watch to start off your collection. I like the 1970's look - massive steel and color. I've found it attractive too. How did it catch your eye?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Certina had different lines at the time this watch was made. The DS2 line was at the top, they then had the Club and Argonaut lines ,but I'm not sure of the relationship between them. There was an Agonaut diver and a Argonaut 280 that seem to be based on the DS2 case. There is also a New Age which has a case similar to yours.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
certina was in the past a real manufacture producing very nice quality handwound, automatic movements and some nicely vajoux 72, 725, 23 and 230 powered chronographs. Certina of yesterday is very nice and very collectable. Sure spare parts are not easy to find but once you stumble on a great model in perfect shape, you have a great watch for the money.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just my "Jason" similar to this for $55. What depth are these watches rated to 5M?
argonaut.jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi everyone!

I just got my 2nd certina two days ago. I didn't know until now what model it could be. The dial seems to be untouched, but the funny thing is that it has no "argonout" scripture on it. The caseback has the 220 reference.

Certina Manual 1.jpg Certina Manual 2.jpg Certina Manual 4.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts