WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I think they take a mental note. Even if they dont comment on it. I would assume its part of their unofficial customer 'qualification' skill set to take a look at what a person wears on their wrist.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Absolutely. It seems to help them make a judgment on your knowledge and requirements. I would indeed be surprised if they didn't check what you were wearing as they are selling some serious kit in certain cases.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Without a doubt. An ad is the only place I am guaranteed to get a "that's a nice watch''. I think they use it as a benchmark for a prospective sale.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I love going in to a dealer wearing one of my watches that they've never seen before. They're always trying to check my wrist and the Sinn 903ST really throws them because the think I'm wearing an Navitimer. I've bought a couple of watches that are essentially unavailable in the United States from overseas sources and often the sales reps have never even heard of these international brands. Compared to the usual Rolex, Omega & TAG/Heuer we usually see here, Europe has SO many gorgeous high quality watches available, I almost get dizzy in the stores over there.

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
Absolutely. I've even had a few mention the watch I'm wearing. "The Speedmaster is a must-have, and a Submariner would be a great addition!" Last time at Tourneau.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Depends. I went to a place and was looking around and was wearing my vintage Waltham and was looking at a seiko 5 and the lady told me I would look too old with a seiko and she pulled out a nasty white G shock (copy!!!!!) digital and told me that this was what I wanted. I told her it was the ugliest thing I have ever seen and walked away.

·
Registered
289 Posts
my experience, depends on what kind of store. in the more expensive ones the salesperson usually checks out my watch. in the more "general" sales type of watch stores, they don't at all(well some of them do, but it's a low percentage)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Absolutely, only makes sense.

Dan

·
Registered
19,346 Posts
do you think the salesperson pay any attention to the watch that's on your wrist?

Absolutely yes,

Because if the [potential] client already wears a watch the sale person will bring a small tray sothat he could take it off and put it on the tray while trying the new watches.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
100% yes. The AD is one of the great places to wear a microbrand while being a full WIS. I noticed that if they saw my Omega or Rolex it's like 50% potential sucker. When I wore my CW C6 however (note same AD chain, just different locations) and started talking about the El Primero movement in a Zenith, they just assumed my watch was hella expensive and I knew my prices so they straight away gave me their lowest number.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yes,definitely. In those high end watch shop they will but in the normal shops selling swatch,seiko etc they most probably just want you to buy something from their shop.

I would wear my Ball watch to the my AD an he'll either show me a new ball watch or any other limited edition. One time I walked into a normal watch store wearing my ball.The store manager said to me: I don't think you would find anything you like here.

Going to other countries,I love wearing my Ball watch as most countries has never heard of it or even seen it. Thu will normally just stare for a while and when they have starred too much,try will come forward and ask me.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm certain they do, it would be silly not to from a salesperson's perspective. I've even walked in to a store without a watch and been asked what I normally wear. Not right away, but it did come up when they were trying to determine what I was looking for.

·
Registered
13,852 Posts
I think they would be fools not to. If you come in with something expensive I'm sure they think they have a better chance at closing a deal than if you're wearing something affordable. Also, it's a good place to start building rapport.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts