WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Hamilton watches use Swiss movements. But where are the watches actually assembled? USA? Europe? Elsewhere?

:-s

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I know that Hamilton watches use Swiss movements. But where are the watches actually assembled? USA? Europe? Elsewhere?

:-s
Years ago before Swatch purchased the brand, Hamiltons were made in the USA. Now, who knows??? They do not say Swiss Made on the Dial...I would say the quality is on par with Tissot which is another Swatch brand that is Swiss Made.

My guess is that they are assembled in Asia

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Years ago before Swatch purchased the brand, Hamiltons were made in the USA. Now, who knows??? They do not say Swiss Made on the Dial...I would say the quality is on par with Tissot which is another Swatch brand that is Swiss Made.

My guess is that they are assembled in Asia
By the looks of it, some Hamiltons say Swiss Made on the dial; some have it on the case back.

Some Hamiltons were made in Switzerland long before the Swatch purchase, after it bought the Buren factory. It didn't last long, though.

It is not a requirement to have "Swiss Made" written on the dial, or indeed anywhere else, if the watch is made in Switzerland. Breitlings don't have it, for example (but they do say "Manufacture en Suisse" on the case back, which I think says it all :)).

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Breitlings don't have it ["Swiss Made"], for example (but they do say "Manufacture en Suisse" on the case back, which I think says it all :)).
What would be the difference between "Swiss Made" and "Manufacture en Suisse"??

Modern Hamilton's are made in Switzerland, if so marked. All that I have seen are marked as Swiss made.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Modern Hamilton's are made in Switzerland, if so marked. All that I have seen are marked as Swiss made.
Honestly, the difference is the market/marketing. Hamilton advertises itself, in its promo materials and website, as "The American Brand since 1892." My Navy Frogman goes the "Swiss Made" on the caseback route. Frankly, it wouldn't matter to me where it was made. I love the titanium, the slightly retro-look of the case, and the minimal face. I'm amazed by how often folks ask me about it.

--doug

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Nothing, since they are the same :)

I suppose having it written in French is supposed to add a certain degree of authenticity; all of the writing on a typical Breitling is in French, even the MANFACTURE EN SUISSE on the bracelet, with the exception of the word AUTOMATIC on the dial which should strictly be written AUTOMATIQUE.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Read this over carefully: http://www.fhs.ch/en/swissm.php

Depends on exactly what's written on the watch, and where it's written. It might have Swiss components and other components, and it might be assembled anywhere (like a Swiss movement, with a Chinese case and bracelet, all assembled somewhere else).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks for that informative article! I of course checked my Hamiltons, and they do indeed say not only "swiss made" on the movement, but also on the case.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks for that informative article! I of course checked my Hamiltons, and they do indeed say not only "swiss made" on the movement, but also on the case.
But I bet the bracelet on most Hamiltons is made in China. Look on the inside of the clasp.

The sourcing & assembly varies by model, too. I believe some are assembled in China, and some in the Carribean area.

"German" watches have a similar set of rules, too!

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
But I bet the bracelet on most Hamiltons is made in China. Look on the inside of the clasp.

The sourcing & assembly varies by model, too. I believe some are assembled in China, and some in the Carribean area.

"German" watches have a similar set of rules, too!
Funny, I thought that one of the sore points on the German forum was that there are NO real rules for "German" watches and that this leads to their frustration with brands like Aeromatic that say German but they view as Chinese. To my understanding the Swiss are unique in their rigid and explicite rules on what constitutes a "Swiss" watch.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Funny, I thought that one of the sore points on the German forum was that there are NO real rules for "German" watches and that this leads to their frustration with brands like Aeromatic that say German but they view as Chinese. To my understanding the Swiss are unique in their rigid and explicite rules on what constitutes a "Swiss" watch.
I am probably wrong, as I haven't looked for a while, since buying my Limes and Sinn watches -- I thought there were some rules for the German makers, but I was probably thinking of some other DIN rules or case manufacturer marks, like SUG. :oops:

·
Registered
109 Posts
So much for being a great american brand, they used to be but no longer! It looks like someone else has taken up making USA watches: scorpion watches SWC very impressive to!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts