WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up this very nice (and cheap) 1974 Timex after a discussion about birth year watches on F71. It ran beautifully for a while and then stopped so I replaced the battery but it failed to start again. Does anyone know a reputable shop in the US that repairs vintage quartz Timex watches? It was inexpensive but I really like it so I'd like to have it repaired regardless.

C360_2013-10-31-19-54-27-336.jpg

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
In the Links and Articles subforum is a thread on locating watchmakers.

I suspect you need to be upfront with any watchmakers you approach and tell them you are willing to pay $300 or more to get this working again. Only then will they realize you are serious. Most will turn this business away because few owners will pay what it will really take.

Good luck!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Perhaps it might be more cost effective to find a similar Timex on eBay?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Send me a PM. I may be able to help you out!

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Perhaps it might be more cost effective to find a similar Timex on eBay?
The problem I see is 1) Timex made a lot of movements in this electro/mechanical transition era and 2) few watches advertised as Timex show their movements in eBay listings. If you have to buy a lot of them to get a match, it might not be cost effective and will certainly be time consuming :)

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem I see is 1) Timex made a lot of movements in this electro/mechanical transition era and 2) few watches advertised as Timex show their movements in eBay listings. If you have to buy a lot of them to get a match, it might not be cost effective and will certainly be time consuming :)
I'd rather just see about getting it fixed. JP71624 gave me a lead on where I might be able to get it repaired so I'll explore that. There's another of the same watch listed on eBay but it's $199 and non-working so I wonder if I just got an amazing deal for getting this one for around $30.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
"Value", as they say, is only what someone is willing to pay. That being said, there's a vast number of items that go unsold time after time because no one will ever offer those amounts. So 'bay items are softened better judged by already sold prices, for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're willing to try some things, it might be worth it before spending money. Usually on these watches, there is a metal cover protecting the movement after you remove the back. Gently remove that cover and you should be able to easily see the balance wheel as well as the contacts. Look at the battery contacts, there is usually one on the bottom and then a side one. Make sure they come in proper contact when you put the battery in. I've found these older watches need a little push to get going again when a battery is replaced. While you have your finger on the battery, very gently (use a pin) move the balance wheel to the left and let it go. It should start up. If not, test the battery to ensure it is good (sometimes new batteries are not) and gets 1.5v. If not replace the battery and try again. If the watch does not start right up when you replace the cover, give it a good shake to get the balance wheel going again. Hope this helps.
DSC00619.JPG

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're willing to try some things, it might be worth it before spending money. Usually on these watches, there is a metal cover protecting the movement after you remove the back. Gently remove that cover and you should be able to easily see the balance wheel as well as the contacts. Look at the battery contacts, there is usually one on the bottom and then a side one. Make sure they come in proper contact when you put the battery in. I've found these older watches need a little push to get going again when a battery is replaced. While you have your finger on the battery, very gently (use a pin) move the balance wheel to the left and let it go. It should start up. If not, test the battery to ensure it is good (sometimes new batteries are not) and gets 1.5v. If not replace the battery and try again. If the watch does not start right up when you replace the cover, give it a good shake to get the balance wheel going again. Hope this helps.
View attachment 1292443
Good call! I tried a 2nd battery and gave the balance wheel a little nudge and it started right up again. Thanks for the great suggestion!

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi Jason,

Good call! I tried a 2nd battery and gave the balance wheel a little nudge and it started right up again. Thanks for the great suggestion!
No need for a second battery. These watches are not selfstarting, and need a twist motion to start them after replacing the battery. During normal usage you will not notic this. When setting it, the balance is automatically stopped in a position from which it restarts reliably, but when it stops with a dead nbattery in the rest position it doesn't start.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Jason,

No need for a second battery. These watches are not selfstarting, and need a twist motion to start them after replacing the battery. During normal usage you will not notic this. When setting it, the balance is automatically stopped in a position from which it restarts reliably, but when it stops with a dead nbattery in the rest position it doesn't start.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
Thanks Roland! Funny thing is I came from quartz watches but never really knew anything about them. Then I discovered WUS and I've learned a lot about mechanical watches but almost nothing about quartz still. My education never ends!

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Thanks Roland! Funny thing is I came from quartz watches but never really knew anything about them. Then I discovered WUS and I've learned a lot about mechanical watches but almost nothing about quartz still. My education never ends!
I think this watch is electronic rather than quartz.. It uses a balance wheel that is moved by electromagnetic action of the electronic part of the watch.. Probably not the best description.. Read about them here..

The Electric Watch Web Site! Early Electric, Electronic and Tuning Fork Watches

Cheers

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
That's one cool looking Timex! I would never have thought it to use an electronic movement. Although the dial reads as "Electronic", I thought it alluded to the function of the red hand.

Glad to hear you got it running again!

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's one cool looking Timex! I would never have thought it to use an electronic movement. Although the dial reads as "Electronic", I thought it alluded to the function of the red hand.

Glad to hear you got it running again!
Thanks! It was originally just to pick up a birth year watch but when it arrived I ended up really loving it. I even kind of like the original pseudo-expansion bracelet it comes on. Now I just need to regulate it since it's running a little fast.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi there,

I think this watch is electronic rather than quartz.
Even worse: It is actually an electric, and the signature "electronic" on the dial is pretty exaggerated. It refers to one single electronic component, a diode officially sabilizing the amplitude. This is complete nonsense, but a diode prevents sparcs when opening the contact. Sparcs have both, the advantage to keep contacts clean, and the disadvantage to kill the contacts after some centuries. But both are absolutely unimportant, and I suspect, Timex used the diode only to justify the word "electronic" on the dial, giving the watch a high tech attribute back then.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

1 - 16 of 16 Posts