1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
ebay

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
jaxxx, I have not seen a complete kit that has even decent tools in it, well, maybe at ofrei but it is Bergeon and it ain't cheap.

Your best bet it to decide what tools you want and buy the pieces individually. Don't go cheap on watch tools, you will regret it, especially screwdrivers.

There are a few case back openers that don't cost much and work great. Do a search for watch tools threads in the various forums I'm sure you'll come up with plenty of ideas.

·
Registered
646 Posts
jaxxx, I have not seen a complete kit that has even decent tools in it, well, maybe at ofrei but it is Bergeon and it ain't cheap.

Your best bet it to decide what tools you want and buy the pieces individually. Don't go cheap on watch tools, you will regret it, especially screwdrivers.

There are a few case back openers that don't cost much and work great. Do a search for watch tools threads in the various forums I'm sure you'll come up with plenty of ideas.

Thats what I use and you are right, Bergeon, and they ain't cheap!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have Bergeon screwdrivers too, but I don't use them unless I'm working on older movements, especially old pocket watches. The blades on the Bergeon screwdrivers are just too fragile. If you're working on old, valuable movements a broken blade is a small price to pay to save an irreplaceable screw, but that's not where a student begins anyway.

My everyday screwdrivers are A*F, and would suggest them as a good place to start a tool set. I think you can buy a basic set for about $25.00, and you you won't regret spending the money. The sets that you can buy for five to ten dollars at the hardware store will be miserable things that will likely do more damage than good.

Just as important as good screwdrivers is a stone to keep the tips clean and sharp. You should be able to pick up an Arkansas stone anywhere decent knives are sold. It doesn't have to be very large, and they're not expensive.

Something else you should consider is a decent magnifier. I use a clip-on that has a pair of 5x lenses. Many use the binocular types, buy what you like best, and buy the best you can afford.

Add a set of spring bar tools (cheapies are OK here), a caseback wrench, and you're ready to get started. You'll be able to remove the movement from almost anything.

Do yourself a favor, though, and don't start tinkering with your collection. Go to a thrift store or ebay and buy a bag of junk watches to practice on. I guarantee that you will destroy the first three casebacks you try to remove, and will will crossthread the next five. Lost stems, bent hands, and thumbprints in bad places are in your future. Be patient, work slowly, and be prepared to destroy a few things early on.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
705 Posts

Do yourself a favor, though, and don't start tinkering with your collection
. Go to a thrift store or ebay and buy a bag of junk watches to practice on. I guarantee that you will destroy the first three casebacks you try to remove, and will will crossthread the next five. Lost stems, bent hands, and thumbprints in bad places are in your future. Be patient, work slowly, and be prepared to destroy a few things early on.

Enjoy!
I agree with you sutton :-!

I bought a cheap set of watch tool online, while some of the tools are OK but the caseback opener is a total letdown. :-|

I scratch one of my casebacks with this tool... :roll: And in the end I ended up getting an LG case opener (it's still on the way)

Anyway, this topic has been discussed before, see this thread:

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=200479

Hope that helps. b-)

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
I just got a cheapie set from eBay. Worked great for bracelet adjustment The screw type pin pusher and the individual pin pushers and little hammer worked great. The spring bar tool bent on the first use. The caseback opener worked ok, but I did get some surface scratches. It is just a brass handel with two pins, one is adjustable. The scratches could have been my fault as I was distracted at the time. Haven't checked out the screwdrivers yet.

For $11-12 it will pay itself with a couple of bracelet adjustments. Better than the nail and rubber mallet that I was using before. Since its use will be limited to this and maybe a regulation, I think it will serve me fine. But I can understand why others may want something better.

·
Registered
646 Posts
At the very minimum, you have got to get the Bergeon 6767F bracelet/band tool. It's the best there is, 20 bucks and get a couple extra tips too for 3 bucks a pop. Skip a beer and buy a quality tool dude :-d

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I just got a cheapie set from eBay. Worked great for bracelet adjustment The screw type pin pusher and the individual pin pushers and little hammer worked great. The spring bar tool bent on the first use. The caseback opener worked ok, but I did get some surface scratches. It is just a brass handel with two pins, one is adjustable. The scratches could have been my fault as I was distracted at the time. Haven't checked out the screwdrivers yet.

For $11-12 it will pay itself with a couple of bracelet adjustments. Better than the nail and rubber mallet that I was using before. Since its use will be limited to this and maybe a regulation, I think it will serve me fine. But I can understand why others may want something better.
me too, yesterday I went through My Xmas watch gifts and adjusted 5 watch bands, already the cheap tool paid for it self..:-!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts