WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gift my son a Marathon MIL-W-46374F, about few days later he scratched the crystal heavily at school. I am looking for a new crystal to replace for him but don't know where I could place the order?
Can it be replaced by normal crystal? Since I have seen a little black ring fits underneath the crystal bezel! This ring to hold the dial down.
Please help. Thank you.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Thank you Crusader and Anamoly for the links, but I am looking for exactly this part crystal.
The problem is that Marathon don't sell to the public directly, hence a decided lack of spare parts. You can try County Comm who distribute Marathon to the civilian market.

Jack found me an excellent replacement crystal for my Mil-W-46374G which is a lot nicer (flatter domed) than the OEM part.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem is that Marathon don't sell to the public directly, hence a decided lack of spare parts. You can try County Comm who distribute Marathon to the civilian market.

Jack found me an excellent replacement crystal for my Mil-W-46374G which is a lot nicer (flatter domed) than the OEM part.
Your comments make me feel comfortable. Because I spend serveral hours on net and could not find it.

Could you show me where I can get that replacement? And how Jack can fit that crystal on together with the black-ring underneath?

Here is my case:
Diameter of the crystal is 30.2mm the case is smaller 30.0mm to keep the crystal tight. But this crystal is very special. Underneath the crystal has a groove for a black-ring to fit it. This black-ring will hold down the dial.

I tried with the same diameter 30.2mm new GS-crystal but can not insert the black-ring in, then when winding-up the movement is shacking!

Marathon is very smart and hassle design!

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Could you show me where I can get that replacement? And how Jack can fit that crystal on together with the black-ring underneath?
I am not really privy to Jack's business secrets ... where he gets his parts, and how he fits them - well, that's why he comes highly recommended. ;-)

You may try to contact him directly, and see what he tells you. :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not really privy to Jack's business secrets ... where he gets his parts, and how he fits them - well, that's why he comes highly recommended. ;-)

You may try to contact him directly, and see what he tells you. :)
Thanks Crusader,

I may found a solution but not sure untill it done. I will change the original case with this case. The case can be ordered online

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Depends on how much you want to spend. The sapphire with screw down crown sets you back 46.00US, mineral 26.00US, mineral with out screwdown crown 19.00US.

Check the height of the stem, those case are designed for the 2824-2 with a stem height of 1.80 mm.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Lysander - I was hoping they had an acrylic crystal option, too. :-(
Hi Crusader,

I am ordering that case now, and will follow up this thread later. If the sweep second hand touch the crystal, then I have to replace it by Acrylic crystal too. Not difficult: Just pop the hard-flat crystal out measure the diameter and snap the plastic crystal in (using the low dome)

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Hi Crusader,

I am ordering that case now, and will follow up this thread later. If the sweep second hand touch the crystal, then I have to replace it by Acrylic crystal too. Not difficult: Just pop the hard-flat crystal out measure the diameter and snap the plastic crystal in (using the low dome)
This will be very interesting to follow. :)

If you replace the crystal with an acrylic, will you be using an armored (i.e. with metal tension ring) or a regular acrylic crystal?

The reason I am asking is that it is my understanding the two types of crystal require different shapes of the rim of the case.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Crusader,

I have one of those very cases on my bench as I type. They are very nicely finished, but you cannot put an armored crystal in one. There is no place for the ring to seat, so it will hang there about a millimeter and a half above the dial. A wedge-edge type (like the older Benrus 113) would work but would have to be cemented in place, as there is no ledge to wedge under.

They are really glass only.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
This will be very interesting to follow. :)

If you replace the crystal with an acrylic, will you be using an armored (i.e. with metal tension ring) or a regular acrylic crystal?

The reason I am asking is that it is my understanding the two types of crystal require different shapes of the rim of the case.
If the dial is placed on top of inner bezel, then the tension ring underneath of the crystal will hold the dial down. This case is oyster type.

If the dial is placed underneath of inner bezel, then the movement ring and the screw-back case will push up front to hold them. This case is screw-back.

To answer your question: If using this screw-back case the tension ring will not be needed, and you will freely to use any type (low/high dome) of crystals.

3 mm from the inner bezel to flat-mineral-crystal is good enough for sweep second hand moving.

I will upload picture when the project done. My working schedule is very tight right now, and not much for enjoying with the project! Being working in IT field, but have fell in love with those tiny-machines since high-school. b-)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want to order just a case like that.
Can you tell me if the second hand fits under the glas??
Sorry Tom, I don't have that case in hand to tell you. You can email the query to the seller. I have been super busy for now, that project may be postponed for the unlimited time.

;-)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts