WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really interested in adding a diver to my collection, but I can't seem to find and brick and mortar stores that have any in stock.
I'm comfortable buying on the internet of course, but when it's a large investment like this I'd like to have a look at it on my wrist before I hand over the money. My main reason for concern is that I have small (~7") wrists, and I don't want the watch to look too huge. Of course I've checked out the threads on here with pictures of divers on small wrists but it's not quite the same :)

Anyway, I'm located in the Cleveland, Ohio area. Does anyone know of anywhere that has divers in stock?

I'm not sure that it matters too much what brand they have since dive watches seem to be similar sizes. The ones I have been looking at are all around 44mm though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strange you should say that. I was at beachwood last night and went into a few jewelers with no luck! That's actually what prompted me to post on here :)

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I'm Portuguese, so as you can imagine all these micro-brews are at least an Ocean away, and there's no way to see them in person. I took some risks and bought a few, and some of them paid off.
My sugestion is: Go find a Swatch store and check the swatch scuba line. It's 45mm in diameter and 16mm high that's pretty much what you can expect for a dive watch medium/big size. There are bigger if course, but you'll have to use your judgement. Please note that the swatch is going to be much lighter than a Stainless Steel watch with the same dimension.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Many of the micro's ... unless you know a fellow WIS who owns one, are impossible to try before you buy. In a worst case scenario, you can always flip them to someone if they are not to your liking and move on to something new. It's not a marriage :-d , think of it as renting with the option to buy ;-) .

·
Registered
115 Posts
I believe Princeton Watches is in the Cleveland area, and I think they have a showroom. If I remember correctly, my brother who lives in Stow went to their store a few years ago. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
251 Posts
There doesn't seem to be alot in the Cleveland/Akron/Canton area when it comes to watches in general.

My suggestion would be to do some research and figure out, first, what exactly you are looking for in a dive watch, then...worry about where to get it. Many authorized dealers will ship...just check their return/exchange policy.

BTW, many of the smaller dive watch "boutique" internet dealers have a decent return policy along with good customer service.

Good luck in your quest!:)

Steve

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Take a day trip down here to Pittsburgh, and schedule a visit with Kobold. I am sure that Mike and his team would be happy to show you some of the dive watches in their line. :-!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, I've never checked out Kobold watches before they are truly works of art! Way, way out of my price range though. It's a shame because Pittsburgh isn't that far away.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I contacted Princeton Watches and it turns out they do have a store. They don't have everything on the site on display, but you can make an appointment and they'll get the watches you're interested in out in preparation.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Yeah, that's the same thing Princeton told me a couple of years ago. Shame, as they're the next exit east on 422 relative to where I work.

They mentioned there were plans at one point to build a store, but that never happened. Bummer, but I understand the desire to keep overhead down.

Occasionally I'll stop in a mall jewelry store that deals in decent brands, but they rarely carry anything that I can either afford or interests me. The sales people can be entertaining though; it's fun to ask them WIS-specific questions that they have NO idea how to answer.

As such, 100% of the watches I've purchased since early 2006 have been online. Repair too for that matter. I had a pre-owned but new to me Omega SMP that the seller failed to disclose had a big old piece of lint or thread stuck under the crystal. Took it to a local watch place, they seemed completely legit by all accounts. Told me no problem to take care of it, wouldn't even charge me. Five minutes later I get the watch back in my hands, the case back opener had slipped and put a huge gouge across the sea horse on the back!

What else did I expect from NE Ohio, right? :-s<|

·
Registered
907 Posts
If you could take a little trip down to the Columbus area, there are quite a few places with decent stocks of divers. My parents live there and there is enough to entertain you for a while...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually went up to beachwood/legacy village yesterday and found a couple of places. I don't think I could afford anything in them :), but I tried a couple of things on and I have an idea of what fits now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts