WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at some sting ray straps and I think they look really cool. Where on the formality scale would they fit from super casual to super formal. I think a black sting ray strap would look killer on my seamaster or on my lunar pilot

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
I think that may depend a lot on the watch and style of strap. Stingray can be very shiny if the jewels are not sanded and can likley be paired with a fairly dressy watch especially if they are made without the main pearl. On the other hand a large strap with shaved jewels can sometimes only be at home on a chunky fdiver or something more casual ...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that may depend a lot on the watch and style of strap. Stingray can be very shiny if the jewels are not sanded and can likley be paired with a fairly dressy watch especially if they are made without the main pearl. On the other hand a large strap with shaved jewels can sometimes only be at home on a chunky fdiver or something more casual ...

My omega is a very dressy watch I would like to keep it as dressy as I can

·
Registered
535 Posts
This is merely my opinion so I'm not claiming correctness, but I don't think the pattern of a stingray strap is dressy by it's general nature. I like how they look very often, but if I was looking to specifically dress up a watch to make the look more dressy, I wouldn't use a stingray strap.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
It's always the combination, so putting it on a diver like that...of course it's casual.

The point is, given a reasonably dressy watch, where would sting ray fit? I agree with LB Carl. It's not formal. Croc and cordovan probably top the list; fairly uniform, small-scale lizard is also formal. Then good calf/cow leathers. Ray and python are very stylish, but that's not the same as dressy. So, evenings on the town...dinner and dancing, theater then late dinner, that sort of thing. NOT appropriate, IMO, for business dress.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Depends on the watch. I've seen unpaded unstitched stingray straps on a slim dress watch and it works. On a Seamaster I am not sure.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends on the watch. I've seen unpaded unstitched stingray straps on a slim dress watch and it works. On a Seamaster I am not sure.
It’s the c case sea master not the dive model so it’s thin. I really like the braclet but it’s too small for my big wrists and I would like to put it on a strap instead CDF43272-1CA1-4A23-9BB4-960000434FE1_1526870268249.jpeg

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Vintage stitch gray calf would blend with that lovely dial.

This is full-stitch and nubuck, but I think it'd blend beautifully even with a good suit:

https://www.hirschstraps.com/products/hirsch-osiris-calf-leather-with-nubuck-effect-watch-strap-in-grey?variant=32282632072

Gray suede could also be fine, and that's pretty easy to find. Suede is somewhat relaxed, but it should work in something less than strictly formal. And, even with strictly formal...the notion of "what watch is appropriate?" has relaxed completely. I refer you to the watch-spotting articles vis a vis the Royal Wedding just completed. Prince Charles was wearing the formal morning suit...with a Parmigiani chronograph.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts