Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Keep them on a Winder

Votes: 7 14.9%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you keep your watch in the original Rolex box, or do you have some other watch box you keep your watches in. Or do you have a winder to keep them in?

·
Registered
Submariner
833 Posts
For the Rolex? On my wrist 99% of the time. :-d The others go in an inexpensive watch box, but right now my collection is pretty sparse after the Submariner acquisition anyway.

·
Registered
110 Posts
All my Rolexes, except the one on my wrist of course, are in a watch box and then in safe (w/ dehumidifier). Papers are also in safe but not all other accessories like boxes and booklets.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I'm paranoid, safety deposit box for me.

The only problem is I can't change watch on a whim, it means I wear one watch for a couple of weeks at least.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Except for the watch I'm wearing, my watches are in two watch boxes. One holds wristwatches, the other holds pocket watches.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
In the watch box with the rest of the watches somewhere in the book room. No safe for me.

Sent from my fax machine using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
In the watch box with the rest of the watches somewhere in the book room. No safe for me.

Sent from my fax machine using Tapatalk
I'm in a watch group down here in Oz.
A couple of guys have been done, I think you can become complacent thinking it won't happen to you.
Unless you have other measures.
Always take precautions to protect especially if it's worth a few bob.
Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
When not on my wrist, they are in a safe, together with other valuables including my guns (minus one available 24/7), I live in a remote area where the local gendarmerie is at best 20 minutes away.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting, do people not do the original box because they have multiple watches and like them all in one place?

·
Premium Member
11,956 Posts
The watches I am not wearing are placed on Orbita Rotowind winders in my safe, which is quadruple-bolted to a concrete floor and positioned in a corner against block walls inside a closet (to limit maneuverability). The one on my wrist is placed on the bedside table at night ... I don't wear it when sleeping.

The original boxes/papers are stored in a cabinet in my closet, in case I decide to flip the watch later (and I've flipped more than 100 in the past few years).

I prefer the Orbita winders for two reasons: 1) They are battery-powered (with a five-year life) and compact, so they fit easily into my safe; and 2) the Rotowind mechanism most closely simulates wrist-worn winding, and maintains mainspring stasis during storage.

The investment of a couple of grand in a safe and winders seems pretty reasonable to me, when considering the value of the watches stored therein.

P.S. - If you're contemplating a safe for your watches and decide to buy a Sentry ... don't. They are complete junk, and any credible locksmith will tell you that. You're just as well off storing your watches in a shoebox on your front porch. ;-)

Reactions: Watches123

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Interesting, do people not do the original box because they have multiple watches and like them all in one place?
I don't do the original box because they are too big and awkward.

I do something similar - I have an Oakley case for each watch.

However I don't use them for the one or two watches that I'm currently wearing - I just leave the watches on my dresser.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Watches not being worn are stored on a winder inside of my walk-in closet. The SubC is either on my wrist or laid dial-up overnight in dresser valet.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Original box seems somewhat bulky and annoying -- it doesn't really make it easy to switch between watches, and whenever you did, you're running the risk of damaging or putting wear on the box... What's the benefit of keeping it in the original box?

For me, I only have one watch I consider high end currently, and it's usually on my wrist (or nightstand/valet if I take it off to sleep or shower). My g-shock is wherever it lands, and others are just kept in a drawer without much pomp and circumstance. I'll likely wind up with a safe once I get a second higher end piece, which will hold the non-currently worn watch and the papers for both (among other things).

·
Registered
750 Posts
Just wondering actually seeing that we're on the topic but how do you guys store your watch papers and receipts? I'm in the market to buy a type of filer. Any suggestions? Or do you guys have a filing cabinet for those things? I don't have much space.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts