WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there was one style of watch that really got me into this hobby, it is field watches. There may be some bias to this, as I was always fascinated by the military field watches my Father and Grandfathers had in Vietnam, Korea and World War II, respectively. Before heading down the path of the WIS, I spent many nights reading up on the history of these watches, etc. As a result of this (and a chance reading about the company in an outdoor magazine), the first nice watch watch that I purchased was a Bertucci Titanium Field Watch. Although Bertucci makes many field watches, I was drawn to the A-4T Yankee because of its military styling. The larger size, Swiss movement and titanium case were all nice features, also.

As I put this watch on this morning, it occurred to me; I don't see a lot of field watches 'round here. There are other 'military' watches... Pilot Watches, Nav Watches, Vostoks, etc. I suppose Luminor and Radiomir, homage or not, are technically military based on their origin. I do see those. And an @$$load of subs come to mind. Just few field watches.

Am I imagining this? What are your thoughts? And if you have a field watch, slap a picture on the post. I'd love to see what's around.

I'll start the bidding...
View attachment 987478

·
Registered
671 Posts
A good example my friend with a lovely dial. I do agree with you that the field watches seem to be one of the least posted out of the military inspired genre. One that I have seen is the Hamilton Khaki from time to time. IMHO, the reason would be the size. Most of the field watches were under 40mm. My sweet spot is between 43 and 45mm. For me to wear anything under 42mm would not look right on me. I will agree that the bigger timepieces have spoiled me dramatically. The biggest I've worn was a 60mm, and that was just way too big, very top heavy. Maybe if more members would post those more often, they just might bring more to the fold.

·
Vendor
28,456 Posts
Reactions: 2manywatchs

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know if this counts....
That may be part of it. What is or isn't a field watch might spark debate. When I see a watch with 5 to 55 indicies, I think "B-Uhr/Nav/Observation watch". When I see a triangle at 12 o'clock, I think "pilot". A rotating bezel is a tough one. No doubt that Luminox watches are military field pieces, but then what separates it from a sub? Depth rating? And what about movement? I tend to think of field watches as having to 'hack' which you don't see in most (any?) automatics.

Differing interpretations aside, I am glad that others notice an under-representation. I just wonder what makes that true. Is it we have them and don't post them or are not drawn to them for [fill in reason]. The 'may be too small' thought has merit. I love the 44mm size of my Bertucci.

Reactions: H3RRINGTON

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I am a huge fan of field watches, but when summer rolls around I find myself reaching for a diver more frequently than not. Perhaps this is just a seasonal thing which you're seeing?

BM6400: Certainly the toughest field watch that I own, perhaps the toughest out there.

Hamilton Mechanical:

SARB015: Classiest field watch out there.

SKXplorer: This probably doesn't count but I am madly in love with this one.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
^ the size can also be an issue. Earlier field watches were far smaller than 40 mm. I thought my Traser auto was pushing the envelope at 40 mm.

When it comes to to hacking the only one I encountered was Seiko 5 using 7sXX movement.

Anyway, I agree that field watches are few and far between taking into account countless dive and pilot watches.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
VSA Infantry Classic, all day!
That's exactly what I think of when I think "field".

Here are a few I used to have but sold. I'd call them all "field"

Wenger

Bertucci D1T

Victorinox

Bertucci A2T Titanium(s)

Timex

Not sure if this is "field" or not...
View attachment 987609

... and I'd call these GMT and Pilot, respectively.

Reactions: docvail

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Perhaps this is just a seasonal thing which you're seeing?
Good thought.

BM6400: Certainly the toughest field watch that I own, perhaps the toughest out there.
Aaaaagh... you're right... and I was just considering selling mine. Methinks I might need to reconsider.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I too started on field/military watches (Bertucci A2T, Timex, Momentum Atlas, etc.) but have gravitated more towards pilots lately. Field watches just seem so simple, which can get boring after awhile.

Reactions: BrianL

·
Registered
64 Posts
I primarily wear field watches for outdoor activities and working. I have two automatics that I rotate at my Caretaker job and a quartz for the really tuff stuff.

Hamilton Khaki auto 42mm

Glycine Combat Automatic 43mm

Timex Weekender 38mm

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
No shortage of field watches in my collection. I'm no purist with the definition but I like readable dials with numbers. Reporting for duty: Seiko SNZG15, Citizen BM6400 & BJ9130, Damasko DA37, Hamilton Khaki GMT, Vostok K-34... I bet I could find more but that should do the trick. (For that matter, the Green Alpinist probably counts as a field watch and we see those everyday on this forum!)

View attachment 987769

View attachment 987771

View attachment 987773

View attachment 987778

View attachment 987779

View attachment 987780

·
Registered
190 Posts
Field watches just seem so simple, which can get boring after awhile.
This is why I'll probably not add another to my collection. There is no where really to go beyond a simple face and three hands. After buying mine, I began to realize I could really use a diver type bezel for easy, quick timing functions.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts