WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, my very first post!

I turn 40 this year and to treat myself I'm buying myself a luxury watch. There are 3 brands I fancy; Rolex, Omega and TAG. Haven't really looked at Rolexes (too expensive for my budget!) and I've narrowed down to a Speedmaster Pro and Carrera Calibre 16 (CV2010, discontinued, Black Dial, Steel Bracelet). Having read many of the posts on this forum, I've accepted the wisdom that the Omega is the better of the two. However I'm still not convinced that I'll be happy which I will have to manually wind every single day.

Having perused almost the entire current Omega collection, I've come to the conclusion that the Speedmaster Pro is the only watch I like - I'm not quite sure whether to go for the Hesalite or the Sapphire Crystal one (I know, there are 10s if not hundreds of threads discussing the same topic!).

Currently both the Hesalite and the Sapphire models are only available with a special presentation case, which is retailing here in the UK for £3340 and £3950 respectively. The Omega boutiques don't give a discount but Ernest Jones in Kingston are offering 10%; so £3000 and £3550.

I want to know if (a) the presentation box is worth it, (b) is the price fair and are there other ADs where I can buy from cheaper, and (c) is there another Omega in a similar price range that I should also consider.

I'm leaning towards the Hesalite model as its the original and also because of the cost (£500+ cheaper), but have concerns about the Hesalite scratching easily. Is my concern valid?

Finally, what are some good places to buy the 3570.50 / 3573.50 pre-owned? Can people recommend reputable eBay sellers?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought my Speedy Pro from Watches of Switzerland on Oxford Street last year. I negotiated about a 10% discount and went for the Hesalite crystat due to its history. Whilst it's not an everyday watch I have managed to pick up a couple of small marks on the Hesalite but these can be polished out, or if bad the crystal can be changed relatively cheaply.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I live in London too. I bought a speedy pro last year from Iconic Watches, they sell online but have a bricks and mortar shop in Blackburn. Delivery was quite slow (although it was when the old reference was being phased out) but I don't think you'll get a better price at an AD in London.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Having perused almost the entire current Omega collection, I've come to the conclusion that the Speedmaster Pro is the only watch I like - I'm not quite sure whether to go for the Hesalite or the Sapphire Crystal one (I know, there are 10s if not hundreds of threads discussing the same topic!).
Crazy question, but have you tried both watches on and/or seen them in the metal? I thought the Hesalite vs. Sapphire debate was an internal struggle that all men had to endure ... Until I went to an AD and held the two Speedys in my hand. For me, the debate ended as soon as I saw the beautiful clear Sapphire crystal. The warmth of Hesalite just didn't do it for me, despite the great history of the watch and the choice (had I actually decided to purchase a Speedy) was an easy one.

The manual wind movement was also part of the equation for me. Have you considered one of the Speedmasters with the 9300 automatic movement as an alternative?

Good luck!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Hi there, my very first post!

I turn 40 this year and to treat myself I'm buying myself a luxury watch. There are 3 brands I fancy; Rolex, Omega and TAG. Haven't really looked at Rolexes (too expensive for my budget!) and I've narrowed down to a Speedmaster Pro and Carrera Calibre 16 (CV2010, discontinued, Black Dial, Steel Bracelet). Having read many of the posts on this forum, I've accepted the wisdom that the Omega is the better of the two. However I'm still not convinced that I'll be happy which I will have to manually wind every single day.

Currently both the Hesalite and the Sapphire models are only available with a special presentation case, which is retailing here in the UK for £3340 and £3950 respectively. The Omega boutiques don't give a discount but Ernest Jones in Kingston are offering 10%; so £3000 and £3550.

I want to know if (a) the presentation box is worth it, (b) is the price fair and are there other ADs where I can buy from cheaper, and (c) is there another Omega in a similar price range that I should also consider.

I'm leaning towards the Hesalite model as its the original and also because of the cost (£500+ cheaper), but have concerns about the Hesalite scratching easily. Is my concern valid?

Finally, what are some good places to buy the 3570.50 / 3573.50 pre-owned? Can people recommend reputable eBay sellers?

Thanks in advance.
You don't need to go for eBay or preowned. As many have noted on this forum, Iconic Watches in Blackburn can source you the Speedmaster Professional, with new presentation box, screwed bracelet, and Omega warranty for over 20% off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crazy question, but have you tried both watches on and/or seen them in the metal? I thought the Hesalite vs. Sapphire debate was an internal struggle that all men had to endure ... Until I went to an AD and held the two Speedys in my hand. For me, the debate ended as soon as I saw the beautiful clear Sapphire crystal. The warmth of Hesalite just didn't do it for me, despite the great history of the watch and the choice (had I actually decided to purchase a Speedy) was an easy one.
Good point, I have seen the Hesalite model but not the Sapphire variant. I'll make an appointment with the Omega boutique to compare the two :-D

The manual wind movement was also part of the equation for me. Have you considered one of the Speedmasters with the 9300 automatic movement as an alternative?
I did, but the price is twice as much! As an example the 331.10.42.51.01.001 is £5690.00

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried Iconic Watches in Blackburn and got short shrift from the guy I spoke with (Chris I believe). Asked them about authenticity guarantees, but it felt like the guy at the other end of the line wanted to put the phone down ASAP. As someone said on one of the threads "you expect the red carpet treatment when you're looking to buy an expensive watch". So I'm not impressed and will give them a miss!

Any other options in/around London? Would prefer a bricks 'n' mortar place as opposed to a "faceless" website :-D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you look at the "First Omega in Space"? It's saphire and it's cheaper due to no fancy but mostly useless box with add-ons of questionable usefulness.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Tried Iconic Watches in Blackburn and got short shrift from the guy I spoke with (Chris I believe). Asked them about authenticity guarantees, but it felt like the guy at the other end of the line wanted to put the phone down ASAP.
perhaps he just felt a little insulted after that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just enquired about the "First Omega in Space" and turns out its roughly the same price! Also it is only available with a leather strap, and according to the sales-person at the Omega Boutique, you can't swap it for a bracelet as the lugs are a different size. Finally, even though its Sapphire Crystal, it does not have an Sapphire exhibition back.

I'm planning to head off to the Boutique to try out the two Hessalite and Sapphire variants "in the flesh". Will update on the outcome :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
The FOIS is much more attractive than the sapphire Professional; it would be my pick if I went for the sapphire version. The Hesalite tops both, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

By the end of this month I will visit London. One of my plans is to buy a new Omega Speedmaster Pro. Can you please recommend me a couple ADs with discounted prices. I read a lot of threads and tried also to contact the original poster of the thread of " New Speedie Pro 3570.50, with thanks and photos" (I'm not allowed to post any links yet) but no response so far.
Any help is welcome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts