WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

New member here need some advise.

I've recently decided on getting a SubMariner for myself. I live in the SF bayarea and have 2 AD's that are close to my house. They both seem reputable and service level seem fair. My question is, how do I go about choosing who to buy from? One of them offered to extend the 2-year warranty to 3 years, and free of charge to polish and remove scratches on the bracelet over the course of the year. Is that pretty standard stuff? Is it worth it to leverage the 2 AD for price, assuming there is room for negotiation? What about other sale and after-sale services and benefits?

I sort of picture myself getting into the store, spend 5 mins to buy the thing and go home. But would I be missing something extremely important in the buying experience?

Thanks for the advise in advnace!

--ImpulseBuyer

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi

Personally id buy from the AD that wasnt part of a big chain. If its a family run business then im sure they will give better after sales service

Steve

·
Registered
348 Posts
When I bought my Sub Date I went into two dealers which which were within a mile of each other. I intentionally visited just after leaving the gym and I was wearing a T-shirt and shorts which exposed my multiple tattoos. The first dealer's salesman had a crappy, snobby attitude towards me and I got the impression that he felt he was wasting his time. I drove right over to the other dealer and was immediately greeted by a friendly helpful salesman that exhibited absolutely NO snobbish attitude. In fact the overall "feel" of the dealer was completely different than the first. I have since bought three Rolexes (Sub Date, GMT Master II, Yachtmaster) from him and will NEVER go back to the first dealer. I suggest visiting them both and you might get your decision made for you. My first buying experience was pretty much walking in, trying on the Sub and saying "I guess I'll take it"- no bargaining, dealing, or special offers made. Have fun.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I could not agree more. Bought my Daytona wearing a T shirt, cargo shorts and sandals. Also had tattoo showing. They treated me as if I was THE only one in the store (there were many others in at the time). Service is stellar at my AD.:-!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All,

Thanks for the stories and advises. I flipped a coin, went to the smaller store and bought the SubMariner from a very patient sales person. Feels great. Got it on my wrist now typing this message. Thanks again!

-ImpulseB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts