WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the WUS forum and this world all together. I have never been into watches, but recently decided I needed to get a new watch and found this website. Very interesting..really like the various diver watches from Seiko!

Thinking of maybe starting with the SKX007 as it seems to fit the bill on price, size, style and overall feedback as far as durability and longevity. I would like to wear this for both causal and work attire (would probably get both a rubber band and a metal and change accordingly). I was prepared to purchase from AMZN but noticed the warranty is not through Seiko but Asurion. This made me wonder:

1) I assume I need to go through an authorized Seiko dealer for the Seiko warranty? Is that a big deal?
2) A local Seiko dealer near me couldn't order the 007...are they no longer being made?

Sorry for the newbie questions but hoping for any feedback you can provide. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hey tdub, welcome to the vast land of WUS!

I think this might be as close as you'll get, but maybe I'm mistaken here:

Seiko USA / Collections / Seiko Core / Men / Watch Model / SKX173

Essentially the same watch (maybe the wrong band?) but it's a different market so it's a different SKU (Again, could be wrong here)

Companies are weird sometimes, haha. Maybe check though to see if that's the one you're looking for!

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Hello.. the Seiko SKX007 isn't officially available in the USA, so if buying one in the USA you are going to be buying a grey market watch, as such the warranty is going to be coming from a 3rd party (such as Asurion) or from the vendor...

if you want a Seiko w/ the USA 3yr warranty look at the SKX173 (different hour markers) or the pepsi SKX175 at an AD.. but you are going to be paying more (almost certainly).

I picked up my SKX009 for $125 w/ a 3rd party warranty... but for the price I paid (last Nov.) I figured meh...I wouldn't worry much about the warranty for the price.

Also if you read on these boards I don't think I would say Seiko's USA warranty repair has a particularly STELLAR reputation. I think if i was you I'd just buy the grey market 007.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have ordered from Sky Watches on several occasions. They are a Seiko AD out of Singapore so you get the stamped warranty card and worldwide 1 year warranty.

SKX007K1 Seiko Automatic Diver Watch

Their SKX's are well priced and they often carry the J model (at a slight premium) if that is important to you

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
One thing though, don't count the Z 22 rubber out before you try it! It's not only the most aesthetically pleasing contraption of wristwatch retention, it's got (quite apparent from photos) folds in it, acting as springs! So if you snag your Z 22 on something or you bend your wrist in an extreme angle it doesn't rip or hurt (stiff bracelets can be really painful at times)!
It's got a bead blasted buckle with a finish to match any Patek (or should I say "Pathe(ti)k") or Rolex buckle, sturdy and simple. But wait, there's more. A tsunami logo on the opposite end. It's smooth on the outside and textured on the inside. Truly one of the great accomplishments of human kind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replies so far! This is extremely helpful information and explains some of the things I have seen with regards to the warranty and the local dealer unable to order it directly. I will check out the links provided above and if there is anything else to consider I appreciate the additional responses.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
One thing though, don't count the Z 22 rubber out before you try it! It's not only the most aesthetically pleasing contraption of wristwatch retention, it's got (quite apparent from photos) folds in it, acting as springs! So if you snag your Z 22 on something or you bend your wrist in an extreme angle it doesn't rip or hurt (stiff bracelets can be really painful at times)!
It's got a bead blasted buckle with a finish to match any Patek (or should I say "Pathe(ti)k") or Rolex buckle, sturdy and simple. But wait, there's more. A tsunami logo on the opposite end. It's smooth on the outside and textured on the inside. Truly one of the great accomplishments of human kind.

lol... that is some of the most beautiful language used to describe the Z22 probably ever .. The Z22 isn't for me, I've tried it 2x times curved vent on my 009 and straight vent on my A35 and I don't care for it.. but I'm glad it is working out for y'all.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I ordered mine from Marc @ Island Watch and everything was A+.
For a second I thought I was having problems with the accuracy of my watch and contacted Customer Service and Marc himself responded within 12 hours with easy directions to send the watch back. Luckily the problem either sorted itself out or was in my own head the whole time so I never followed through on sending the watch.
I would happily order another watch from Marc and feel confident recommending Island Watch to anyone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have bought from them locally they told me that the watch is a parallel import. Needless to say, when something happened to my watch, their warranty provided was not up to standard. I sent in a lemon watch to repair and received a badly scratched case back instead. Moreover, I had to pay the $10 for a broken crown seal.

·
Registered
935 Posts
IMO the design of the Z22 is iconic, however the material from which it is made is a real let down. Seiko could learn a great deal from Casio in terms of polymeric materials selection.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just bought one from Amazon, got it on Friday on my wrist since then. No issues at all, bought the cheapest one I could find there. Really happy with it so far, I figure if something goes wrong it's going to happen out of the box or in the return period. The movement is strong and cheap to fix or replace.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts