WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Watchuseekers (especially HK-based Watchuseekers),

This can be in the Dive, Affordable and even Chinese Watches Forums, but I'll post this one here first in the Public Forum till I get good info.

Going to HK next month for just 3 days but this time will be situated in Tsuen Wan rather than in Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) where I'm more familiar. Want to buy one or a couple of those Tauchmeister 1000m Divers.

I know the store in TST along Nathan Road near Holiday Inn and another one near it where this brand is available, but are they also there in Tsuen Wan?

I'll be under a schedule and might not have time to get to TST. I appreciate the assistance |>.

Thanks and Regards,

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Pards,

Kamusta? Not to be a buzz killer or anything like that but have you handled that watch before in the flesh???

If you have and you still want to buy one or two then fine.

If you're lucky enough to see one in a HK store, please try it on your wrist and inspect the watch properly for cosmetic defects. Set the time as well so you'll get a feel for the crown. Better be sure as this is not lunch money we're talking about, and those HK stores won't honour returns based on change of mind. In the $200-300 price point, you should get your moneys worth and there will be heaps in HK to choose from.
Just my 2c bro.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly appreciate the advice. I can buy it from the internet and even from an on-line seller domestically. However, I want to see and feel the watch before I buy it. I also want to get a good discount for it that's why I want to buy it there.

It has a Miyota movement that my watchguy can service domestically. Despite the general fear and doubt of it, I've read positive WUS reviews and opinions of it which inclined me to check it out to add to my collection. A diver friend of mine also bought a similar Tauchmeister before, and he's all right with it.

Its price actually is equivalent to a black Seiko Starfish, SRP299 and SRP227 here at a friendly discount of course. So not being able to buy the Tauchmeister because of quality and price is all right.

However, it is worth checking out for me. German-based company using Japanese automatic and Swiss quartz movements in watches they make in China. Interesting. Design is a nice Seiko tuna homage. 100 bar? Maybe it's really 50 bar. The cosmetics and feel of the crown that you mentioned. It's worth checking out. Thank you.

Best Regards,

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yeah, im sure there are different opinions about this watch as a whole. They are subjective depending on the user of course. For me, i'm basing it all on quality of the cosmetic side as i didn't have it long enough to comment on the movement. I've handled so many watches in this price point and if you were to ask me how much I'd value it based on my experience, i'd say $50 on a very good day. It could be hit and miss depending on the actual watch you receive as I'm not sure how good their QC is but my main quams were the cheap wobbly crown that i thought was easy to break, the bezel insert which had misaligned printing and uneven finish, the steel used for the case and crown seemed to be very low grade and almost plastic. The dial in the flesh looks like a cardboard cut-out and the overall feel of the watch is no better than a $30 Bolex watch you can pick up in Greenhills. Having said that, I highly doubt it can go beyond 10atm in the real world to be honest. I may be wrong of course.

That's just my opinion. There are others who seem quite happy with it and I respect that. But in my opinion, a Shrouded Seiko 5 being almost half the price, is more than 10x better quality wise and the WR rating is honest as you can be sure it's actually tested to meet what they commit. Now if you're after a real tuna homage, look up the yobokies albacore coz that's as closest to the real thing.

Tapatalk for BlackBerry®

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Albacore is a good alternative. Better yet is the upcoming stainless steel shroud Yobokies is coming up for the 4R plastic shrouded divers at USD50-65 each. I plan to put that on my SRP229 to make it a real "tuna can". Thanks for the valuable input on the Tauchmeister. Will still check it out for curiosity's sake if I chance upon one in HK, but the intent to buy has waned considerably... unless it is below USD50.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts