WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this excellent Zulu strap from Gnomon(Dievas). It is high quality thick material.

After this strap, I purchased few others from Gnomon(Dievas) and Ebay, but none were of such quality. Most of them were from very thin material, and too long.

I managed to find this one on Ebay, about 27cm long (those other too long ones are about 30cm), so I don't have to fold the end, and rings are held firm in place, not "floppy".
While better, it is still not perfect.

There is much bigger choice of nato straps on the market, but I like zulu.

So the question is - where to buy best zulu straps? Also without overlenght, just up to 27cm max.

Are Maratac zulu straps best choice? I don't mind paying their price if the quality is acceptable. They look good on the photos, but I read that their striped straps are from thinner material, also supposedly they are long.
I found one link comparing Maratac and Timefactors nato, showing that TF is better (although I don't mind shinier material on Maratac), but TF doesn't have zulu in store.

Anyone got thick zulu from this Ebay seller? They look nice but are quite expensive... And seller is not responding to my question about strap lenght.
eBay My World - watchbarn*com

·
Registered
46 Posts
Home of WestCoasTime - Howard is awesome there, quick responses to email and fast shipping. Maratac Zulu straps can't be beat. Thick.

German Watches, Tactical Watches and Accessories - Gnomon Watches - Gnomon out of Singapore is also good and has alot of choices.

I've purchased from both and was pleased with their products.

Westcoastime's straps are thicker and more substantial feeling. Their Maratac Zulu straps could hold up to anything.

Gnomon straps are thinner and softer. More of a cottony feel. Thinner not being a bad thing as they fit my Breitling better and are easier to get out of the spring bars.

·
Registered
78 Posts
x2, I've delt with Howard at westcoastime many times, purchasing zulus, natos, and nato-zulus - all by Maratac. Honestly, the quality cannot be beat.

Home of WestCoasTime - Howard is awesome there, quick responses to email and fast shipping. Maratac Zulu straps can't be beat. Thick.

German Watches, Tactical Watches and Accessories - Gnomon Watches - Gnomon out of Singapore is also good and has alot of choices.

Westcoastime's straps are thicker and more substantial feeling. Their Maratac Zulu straps could hold up to anything.

Gnomon straps are thinner and softer. More of a cottony feel. Thinner not being a bad thing as they fit my Breitling better and are easier to get out of the spring bars.

·
Registered
971 Posts
x2, I've delt with Howard at westcoastime many times, purchasing zulus, natos, and nato-zulus - all by Maratac. Honestly, the quality cannot be beat.
+1 on Mr. Marx from Westcoasttime. Quality products, service and seller.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I like Maratac the best. Some of the cheaper ones I have bought on ebay have the rings too far apart to loop the strap back.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
Yup, Maratac Zulu straps from County Comm are excellent quality.

Two things though:

County Comm only ships to U.S. addresses. And their shipping rates are ridiculous. You can't just buy one or two inexpensive items. I belong to another forum filled with EDC (Every Day Carry) enthusiasts. They buy from CC often, and I've placed a handful of multi-item orders myself. The drill is always the same. Wait until you have a list of several different EDC items that you want from County Comm . . . Then place one, bulk, order at a time. Only way to save on shipping costs. Some members reported a few headaches ordering from CC. But all of mine arrived on time. That's generally the consensus when ordering from CC.

By the way, don't be surprised if your CC order looks as though some moron stepped on it, or that it rolled down a dirt road. Never a broken item, but those ridiculous shipping charges don't get you decent, physical, handling of your package from CC.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
i've picked up some NATOs and ZULUs from Jake B. recently. from what i understand, they are made from the same materials and in the same factory as the Maratac. unlike CountyComm, Jake ships everywhere :-! Web Store - DAGAZ WATCH LTD.

the ZULUs are 1.5mm +/- .05mm thick, and the NATO is 1.15mm thick (NATOs tend to be thinner material). the 4 ring ZULU and NATO are longer than the 2 ring ZULUs.

the black strap is a prototype Jake made and i'm told will be offering soon. it's a 2 ring ZULU with no buckle and larger holes to accept wide tangs. you'll be able to install the appropriate sized buckle of your choosing (mine has a "bone-frog" to match my Tsunami UDT).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've bought them from a few sources. I'm of the opinion that the strap should be thick enough that you can use the two rings in a double-d ring arrangement, so that if the tang of the buckle failed, it wouldn't go anywhere. If the material is so thin that it slides right thru the double-d when pulled, I feel you've missed half the point of a Zulu.

Strapped For Time: I got a 24mm grey one, and have had it for roughly a year. It's held up well, feels fine, and is thick enough.
County Comm: I got two Maratac ones from them. The solid color 22mm one is nice, but the Bond 22mm is too thin. Both feel fine, are finished well, and haven't faded or frayed.
Gnomon: I got the standard ones from them, not the "extreme." They were the thinnest of all the ones I've bought, a touch too long for me, and had polished hardware that didn't thrill me. I tossed 'em.

I think in the future I'll stick to the solid colored Maratac straps, but I might try the West Coast Time source first before giving up looking elsewhere.

Cheers,
-Lee

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

I have a Breitling too. I am still waiting on a nato G10 in khaki green from TSS ( the strap shop ) from the U.K. I like the strap tucking into the keepers and the low profile of the keepers for wearing under a dress shirt.

I also have a ZULU from Crown and Buckle. I agree they have thick, good quality at a resonable price. The length of the 2 ring zulu can be tucked in a "d" loop through both rings because C&B said they spaced the rings closer and they stay in place by being stitched into the band.

They have good customer service at Crown & Buckle. I want to return a set of fat spring bars that I do not need. They said to mail it back and they even put a note into my file on their records.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I have three G10 straps from The Strap Shop www.watchworx.co.uk and Ken has always been very professional to deal with. My packages arrived very promptly (once I ordered a strap at 4pm and it arrived at my house at 8.40am the next day). The G10 straps are very good indeed, though I have never tried a Maratac so I can't comment on respective quality.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I've seen the maroon zulu from westcoasttime on a black dial breitling. I need one for my new Breitling monday. I've contacted Howard for ordering instructions. Hope to order this by tonight for receiving this week. I am on the eastcoast.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I've been very happy with the straps from County Comm.

Good luck.

RS
Thanks. I just paid for my 22mm airborne maroon zulu 2 ringer. But now I'm buying the same one with Howard at westcoastime. I believe the County comm will take 24 to 48 hours to process whereas Howard will expedite the process. I hope Mike at County comm receives my email and cancels the order.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts