WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Planning on getting some lume done some time in the next few months, I want my hands and markers to be white for many many years to come. Maybe the same treatment as a new sub.

Mainly I want a job that Rolex fans would approve off, any sugestions on where to send it would be great.

tks

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
Hi guys

Planning on getting some lume done some time in the next few months, I want my hands and markers to be white for many many years to come. Maybe the same treatment as a new sub.

Mainly I want a job that Rolex fans would approve off, any sugestions on where to send it would be great.

tks

If I were you, I'd leave it alone. Your dial and hand look original, and have a nice evenly aged patina. That watch is georgeous and doing anything to it would further remove it from that original state of sweetness.:-!

Rememeber once you relume it, it's no longer original and you can never go back.:)

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I would not touch that dail, I share the opinion of Subkrawler.
Keep it as original as possible.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yep, you change it and would loose any appreciated value the watch has gained, I do not know how much your watch is worth, but the aged ones like yours demand a high value, some have gone on in value to buy a few new Sub Dates:-!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Were this a poll, I too vote "don't"..

.. but it's not. My assumption is that you were aware of and comfy with resale value depreciation in carrying out your plan. It's a nice watch and with powerful lume it's functionality is greatly increased.

I've spoken with Jack at IWW on the fone, but not yet used his service. Lots of good reviews on the work, though.

Life is short and it's your watch. Do what you want with it. Modern SL would be amazing on your Tudor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am with those on keeping it original, the patina is great. I have been looking for one that looks old and can't get a hold of one without a small fortune. I also have the thoughts of it is your watch, do what you like.

·
Banned
3,251 Posts
(Speaking with a Russian accent)

I, like my comrades, zay nyet to za dial zsange.

~JB

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Well, I must jump in with a contrarian opinion.

I purchased my Rolex GMT Master in 1978 and wore it faithfully on and off for 30 years. The lume was shot, which caused me to wear it less and less as good lume is important to my enjoyment of my watch.

I have no interest in selling this watch to anyone else - I want to enjoy it as long as I can.

With that in mind, I sent it off to the Rolex Service Center in New York for a full service including a new bracelet, new hands and a new dial. My request to the RSC was for the brightest, longest-lasting lume option available.

Cost for the new hands and dial was as follows:

New dial - $225
New Hour Hand - $21
New Minute Hand - $21
New Second Hand - $21
New GMT Hand - $21

I found this cost to be quite reasonable.

My watch was returned looking better than new with a level of lume better than it had when it was new:

There are many (several in this thread alone) who will say that I "ruined" the watch by replacing the aged Tritium dial and hands with new ones with better (in my opinion) lume.

That argument didn't hold for me. Certainly I have reduced the re-sale value, but I have no intention of selling it. I can now enjoy my watch again and revel in its performance every day I wear it.

So, HalifaxNS, if you want to enjoy your watch for years to come, go ahead and have it re-lumed. My suggestion would be to have it done by a Rolex Service Center in conjunction with a service, but that is obviously up to you.

I feel sorry for those who concentrate more on the re-sale value of their watches than the enjoyment of same.

.:-!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the opinions, I was wondering how this would go over.

Its not something I take lightly, iv spent alot of time thinking about it and still am not 100%

right sholder says no relume:
The shade is good, the hands are a touch lighter than the dial but hard to notice. Seen alot of submariners on the bay with real bad coffee/orange markers around the same age as mine. The fact that it spent 15 years in storage propably helped. I would be covering up a great original dial.

left sholder says relume:
I want this thing looking new again, when I got her she had no bezel or strap, crystal very scratched. I got a new bezel from Rolex, and a replica strap, so she has already bin brought back to life in a sence, why not go all the way. I think my watch is allmost a victom to the lack of lume tech. at the time.

Both sholders say resale value is not a issue, it was issued to my father and used for many years. If I loose everything I have, ill be a bum with a nice watch

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I must jump in with a contrarian opinion.

I purchased my Rolex GMT Master in 1978 and wore it faithfully on and off for 30 years. The lume was shot, which caused me to wear it less and less as good lume is important to my enjoyment of my watch.

I have no interest in selling this watch to anyone else - I want to enjoy it as long as I can.

With that in mind, I sent it off to the Rolex Service Center in New York for a full service including a new bracelet, new hands and a new dial. My request to the RSC was for the brightest, longest-lasting lume option available.

Cost for the new hands and dial was as follows:

New dial - $225
New Hour Hand - $21
New Minute Hand - $21
New Second Hand - $21
New GMT Hand - $21

I found this cost to be quite reasonable.

My watch was returned looking better than new with a level of lume better than it had when it was new:

There are many (several in this thread alone) who will say that I "ruined" the watch by replacing the aged Tritium dial and hands with new ones with better (in my opinion) lume.

That argument didn't hold for me. Certainly I have reduced the re-sale value, but I have no intention of selling it. I can now enjoy my watch again and revel in its performance every day I wear it.

So, HalifaxNS, if you want to enjoy your watch for years to come, go ahead and have it re-lumed. My suggestion would be to have it done by a Rolex Service Center in conjunction with a service, but that is obviously up to you.

I feel sorry for those who concentrate more on the re-sale value of their watches than the enjoyment of same.

.:-!
Wow, all great info.:) and well put.|>

I may look into sending it to New york, its not to far from me.

Getting a marathon SAR will come first, so ill have some more time to think about it, but I think I will make the leap.

tks

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you'd like new lume then i recommend a new dial and handset like gaijin. Ask for the original dial and hands to be returned with the watch, you can then retain them and keep open the option to return to original condition.

It is a lovely dial, I wouldn't mess with it; swap it out if you can't live with it ;-)

Good luck whatever you decide.

Colin

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you'd like new lume then i recommend a new dial and handset like gaijin. Ask for the original dial and hands to be returned with the watch, you can then retain them and keep open the option to return to original condition.

It is a lovely dial, I wouldn't mess with it; swap it out if you can't live with it ;-)

Good luck whatever you decide.

Colin

thats a great tip, ill try that.
My only worry is that they wont have the snowflake hands and dial,,,,,,,,,but if they do it would save me from risking my dial.

tks

·
Registered
180 Posts
1. I would amazed if RSC had snowflake hands to replace. If they did, many Tudor owners would take advantage, and values would have plateau-ed.

2. My understanding is RSC will NOT return the old dial/handset if replacing them. Not even if you ask.

I would have Jack update the originals with SL. And be happy, it's your watch.

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
2. My understanding is RSC will NOT return the old dial/handset if replacing them. Not even if you ask.
This is the case. Rolex do not want authentic spare parts floating around where they could potentially be misused in the unauthorized fabrication of a "counterfeit" watch.

HTH

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1. I would amazed if RSC had snowflake hands to replace. If they did, many Tudor owners would take advantage, and values would have plateau-ed.

I would have Jack update the originals with SL. And be happy, it's your watch.
Given all those facts, I think I will get ahold of Jack when the time comes.
I kinda wanted to keep my dial in the watch anyways.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the great responces :-!
Its clear that you all care about submariners and my relationship with mine.

You have all bin a big help, thanks again.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am going through the same thought process/decision on a 23 year old DateJust. I don't wear it much due to the lack of lume. Other than that the watch is perfect. I am just thinking about changing just the hands. I have the somewhat rare gold tapestry dial and I do not want to change that. Does anyone have any comments on the quality of the lume on a new Datejust. It may not be worth the effort. thanks

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Given all those facts, I think I will get ahold of Jack when the time comes.
I kinda wanted to keep my dial in the watch anyways.

You might chat with Jack about using a tinted lume material: it would look a bit vintage but still be pretty white, and would glow like a torch.
Good luck.
DW

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
Hello G, well spoken, written, whatever. I agree 100%! I have 2 Explorer 2's(one was my dad's) we got them new, one in 1973 the other in 1974. I had them serviced and "renovated" in '03 &'05 at San Francisco Rolex serv. ctr.-they did a fantastic job, sourced real orig. parts-looks like new, IMHO what you & I did is the way to go if you love your watch. I'm sentimental when it comes to watches, gifts, watches left by family....at this time there's not one of my watches I'd trade or sell.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
Hello H. Beaut Tudor Sub! I'm all for renovation! Send yours to your nearest Rolex serv. ctr. and get it done right. I have 3 Rolexes, they're old like me...but look sharp, like me! I had my Explorers serviced & "renovated" in 03 & 05,my datejust in 99--- they look better than new! I have never sold a watch & only traded one (was my uncle's & I wasn't wild about it) so I keep all of them running & looking sharp.
regards, Dr. Robert

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts