WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently took my old Royal Oyster to Rolex here in Berlin, hoping they could do an official service, but they unfortunately declined and told me that, as it was out of date, they cannot service it any more.

As such, wanted to put it to the forum to see if anyone had any suggestions for where I could service this watch in Berlin (or abroad?)? Wondered if there were any reputable options one can DHL the watch to?

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Personally I'd have thought that any respectable watchmaker would be able to service it for you, I presume it's just a three hand automatic/manual, possibly with date? It shouldn't cost the earth.

From what I've heard you might have dodged a bullet here as Rolex like to "REFURBISH" watches usually destroying decades of great patina.

Pictures please

Matt

Just googled it, they mostly seem to be manual three hand no date, a doddle for a good watchmaker.

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

Reactions: joeuk and mkws

·
Premium Member
13,348 Posts
I don't know about Germany but I know that my favorite watchmaker in Paris does service vintage Rolex better than many of his competitors, his website is
Bienvenue sur www.montresexpert.com

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
It's rather odd that they have declined to service it- they do service vintage watches, only they don't do it particularly well. Upon servicing, Rolex tends to swap out the dial and the hands for new ones, often inconsistent with the original (exempli gratia: contemporary Datejust flat dial with lume-filled markers and the current Rolex font, placed on a 1960s Datejust). They also polish the case, which hurts the value as well. What is more, these changes are usually irreversible, as Rolex does not give the original parts back (Omega, for example, does).

Therefore, as Matt said, you're actually lucky that they have refused to service it.

Reactions: busmatt

·
Premium Member
13,348 Posts
It's rather odd that they have declined to service it- they do service vintage watches, only they don't do it particularly well. Upon servicing, Rolex tends to swap out the dial and the hands for new ones, often inconsistent with the original (exempli gratia: contemporary Datejust flat dial with lume-filled markers and the current Rolex font, placed on a 1960s Datejust). They also polish the case, which hurts the value as well. What is more, these changes are usually irreversible, as Rolex does not give the original parts back (Omega, for example, does).

Therefore, as Matt said, you're actually lucky that they have refused to service it.
Rolex always refuses to service watches that are more than 25 years old and after 25 years, they stop production of spare parts. So their refusal to service the watch is normal. You have to know a very very good independant watchmaker who services Rolex vintage watches well and who has a good spare parts stock for Rolex vintage watches. And good watchmakers who know how to restore or service vintage Rolex are not that common.

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
409 Posts
Any info on how JLC/VC treat this issue? I intend to die with one of those on each wrist haha

Rolex always refuses to service watches that are more than 25 years old and after 25 years, they stop production of spare parts. So their refusal to service the watch is normal. You have to know a very very good independant watchmaker who services Rolex vintage watches well and who has a good spare parts stock for Rolex vintage watches. And good watchmakers who know how to restore or service vintage Rolex are not that common.

·
Premium Member
13,348 Posts
Any info on how JLC/VC treat this issue? I intend to die with one of those on each wrist haha
JLC as well as VC will charge you a fortune for a basic restoration or overhaul on a vintage watch. I have often read horror stories about jlc repairs or overhauls even on modern watches

·
Premium Member
13,348 Posts
I'm beginning to dislike this hobby :p
Maybe I'll pass on an obsolete apple watch to my kids
As I said before to know and have a good independant watchmaker for a vintage watch or some modern watch,it is the only warranty to have your watch unmolested and period correct, going through factory is rarely a good choice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts