WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For more than half a century, the character of James Bond has relied on his wristwatch for everything from tracking enemies to demonstrating his ‘sheer magnetism’ in romance.

When Agent 007’s creator, Ian Fleming, wrote the fantastic stories that started it all in the early 1950s, he often focused on ‘time’ as a means of building tension and engaging his readers. This has remained a constant throughout the EON Productions films, which include famous countdowns to missile launches spelling certain global destruction - if James Bond doesn’t make it in time!

‘Where would James Bond be without his wristwatch?’ is one of the featured presentations at the NAWCC National Convention on Saturday, 13 June 2009, in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The talk will be given by Dell Deaton, author of the February 2009 ‘WatchTime’ feature that details his discovery of the original literary-Bond wristwatch (Dell is also a member of the CommanderBond.net Forums).

Examples of James Bond watch models from Breitling, Omega, Rolex, and Seiko will be featured.

For further details on this event taking place at the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Annual Convention, head over to www.nawcc.org.

Source: commanderbond.net/

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Very cool.
I just finished reading a reprint of a James Bond triology....author-Raymond Benson...1st American writer ok'd by the Felming estate....after Fleming died, Kingsley Amis wrote a book, then John Gardner(he wrote more than Fleming), then...'96-02 Benson. Benson also did the screenplays for the three Brosnan/Bond films. Cool thing is in the Benson books Bond is wearing a Rolex!

G

·
- Where would James Bond be without his wristwatch? -

With or without watch, most likely he would find himself listed somewhere on the retirees list of MI 6.:-d

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
- Where would James Bond be without his wristwatch? -

With or without watch, most likely he would find himself listed somewhere on the retirees list of MI 6.:-d

Do you mean to say that there are no 96 year old "Double 0" super spies saving the earth from utter destruction?
N

·
Registered
314 Posts
Photos from NAWCC annual convention

Thought I'd report back w/ a couple of images from the 64th Annual National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Convention in Grand Rapids, Michigan, last week.

First, from my presentation titled, "Where would James Bond be without his wristwatch?"

Second (and more importantly), from the exhibit of my James Bond model watches, from both the literary and film appearances.

Lots of interest in the upcoming NAWCC museum exhibit of James Bond watches, June 2010 through May 2011 at the convention as well. I'm sure they'll be keeping things updated on that as the opening draws nearer, on their website. LINK

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Gadget watches

James Bond seemed to be able to do more with his Seikos than the Omegas.
Since my presentation took place on "Public Day," the already mixed audience of horology and James Bond interests had the added complexity of catering to folks with only a very general (and often new) interest in one or both.

So I tried to include a light touch to various aspects of what we discussed. One of these was a "Bond versus Bond" comparison of actors vis-a-vis their watch brands and the gadgets featured in their watches. The result was a real horse race between Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan for total numbers, with the Moore-era Seiko models taking the lead in variety of modifications.

How many different gadgets can the bright folks on this WUS Forum name here?

:think:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: Gadget watches

I remember a Roger Moore Seiko having a display for a tracking device. Don't remember which movie. The watch in Never Say Never Again had a laser. I think there was also one that had the bezel spin so it was effectively a little saw that was used to cut through some rope. At least I think that was a Bond movie and not one of the spoofs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I remembered in a Bond file acted by Brosnan where his SMP helium valve can be taken out like a little tube and was used as some sort of explosive (like c4) activated by the bezel of his watch.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

How many different gadgets can the bright folks on this WUS Forum name here?

:think:
Well, this one featured a digital readout from HQ to 007 and a satellite phone.

Here's mine, but for some reason I can only toggle day, date, time and stop watch. :rodekaart Huh no messages from her majesty's service yet.

I still want to do a wrist shot in the tux with a pistol, but don't want to buck the rules!

The previous version had the ticker tape that scrolled out from the side with the messages. The digital scroll was a definite leap in technology!:-!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

Then there was the Octopussy Seiko with the tracking device in the display.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I remembered in a Bond file acted by Brosnan where his SMP helium valve can be taken out like a little tube and was used as some sort of explosive (like c4) activated by the bezel of his watch.
Must have been Goldeneye. I remember playing the Goldeneye game on my Nintendo 64, one of the weapons were watch-activated mines :-!

·
Registered
314 Posts
NAWCC announces first James Bond watch to be displayed at 2010-2011 exhibit

In case you guys missed this, Ernie Posted an announcement from the National Watch and Clock Museum about the first deal we've signed to exhibit an original James Bond watch next year. LINK

COLUMBIA, PA: Ian Fleming’s character James Bond has always been associated with the finest of everything; cars, clothes and, of course, watches. The National Watch & Clock Museum will be presenting an exhibit opening in the summer of 2010 that will explore the subject of the watches of James Bond. The exhibit, Watches, James Bond Watches, will feature the watch that provided the inspiration for James Bond’s wristwatch: Ian Fleming’s own Rolex Explorer. This wristwatch was recently identified by Dell Deaton of www.jamesbondwatches.com, as the original, literary James Bond watch in his recent article for WatchTime magazine. Mr. Deaton is serving as the National Watch & Clock Museum’s Guest Curator for the exhibit; it was through his direct work with Fleming heirs that the display of this important and historical timepiece is possible.

This is the first time that Ian Fleming’s watch has been exhibited in the United States. The watch was recently on display at the Imperial War Museum in London, featured in an exhibit on the life and work of Ian Fleming. Fionn Morgan, Ian Fleming’s stepdaughter, states “Ian would have enjoyed the idea of displaying his own Oyster Perpetual as part of an exhibition of James Bond watches…It is wonderful to see the James Bond legacy presented through the watches that this character has worn. It is further most gratifying to see Ian’s Explorer number 1016 displayed as the origin of this long and continuous chronology. Collectors and the public will learn a lot through this exhibition.”

“The National Watch & Clock Museum is honored to be able to display Mr. Fleming’s watch” Museum Director Noel Poirier comments, “and we are thankful to the Fleming family for allowing this one of a kind object to be a part of the Bond watch exhibit.” The exhibit will also include examples of the watches worn throughout the James Bond novels and motion pictures. Additionally, memorabilia from fans of the character will also be included in the exhibit.

The National Watch and Clock Museum is operated by the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, Inc., a nonprofit 501(c)(3) association with close to 21,000 members, representing 52 countries. April through November the Museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 4 p.m. December through March hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Discounts are available to seniors, students, AAA members, and groups of 10 or more. Groups of 10 or more are encouraged to call ahead. For more program information, directions, or general Museum information, call 717-684-8261 or visit our website at www.nawcc.org.

Attached images:

Ian Fleming’s personal Rolex 1016 Explorer, which served as his basis for the personal James Bond wristwatch he described in “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service” (1963) Credit: Imperial War Museum

Ian Fleming on the set of “Goldfinger,” 1964, wearing his Rolex 1016 Explorer wristwatch Standing next to him are James Bond film producers Harry Saltzman (immediate right) and Albert R. “Cubby” Broccoli (far right). Credit: Imperial War Museum and Getty Images

Dell Deaton, the National Watch & Clock Museum’s guest curator for the exhibit, Watches, James Bond Watches.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts