WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking about the value of affordable watches... which brands you think keeps the value and which are terrible from this perspective. I am talking about time period of 10-20 years.
When I say affordable brands I mean:

Junkers
Zeppelin
Bulova
Casio
Citizen
Seiko
Rotary
Skagen
...and others...

and also, does automatic watch keeps value better than quartz?

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
You can pretty much plan on your 20 year old cheapy to be worth approximately nothing in 20 years. It is possible there will be exceptions, but nothing you could plan on, so this should not enter into your purchasing deliberations.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
and also, does automatic watch keeps value better than quartz?
Too many variables in that question to give it a blanket answer. Jeweled (serviceable) quesrtz movement-based watches seem to hold value pretty well. Automatics can, or they can't. An automatic that has not been serviced in 20 years should be considered a red flag.

Also, I will say that I know someone that bought a watch that looks a lot like this on eBay for $2, shipping included:

hello-kitty-pink-560x10241.jpg

We were at a bar one night and some (strange) woman saw it and said she loved it, and offered our friend $10 for it, payable right then and there. Thats a return of 400%, inside just 3 years! I guess some affordables really do appreciate...

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
Buy an inexpensive watch to wear and take care of until you get tired of the style. At the end of 20 years styles will have changed and all you have to do is buy a new watch. You won't have to worry about having spent a lot of unrecoverable money on a more expensive watch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can pretty much plan on your 20 year old cheapy to be worth approximately nothing in 20 years. It is possible there will be exceptions, but nothing you could plan on, so this should not enter into your purchasing deliberations.
I am not thinking about it as an investment. I just curious, it's strange to see how much people bid on Ebay auctions on a old cheap seiko or citizen while the seller is from india :D insane. Those all are refurbished, mostly dial repainted. Then what to think about original ones?

·
Registered
747 Posts
bullova will perform best out of the brands you mention. they have a decent following and already have collectable models that have done ok over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
The answer to this thread is clearly a SKX007.

Buy it, love it, run it into the ground. Don't even worry about services, it will keep going for years and will be worth every penny.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
I am not thinking about it as an investment. I just curious, it's strange to see how much people bid on Ebay auctions on a old cheap seiko or citizen while the seller is from india :D insane. Those all are refurbished, mostly dial repainted. Then what to think about original ones?
You have to consider many factors beyond the brand name including whether the specific model in question is being collected, reliability of the seller, etc.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
+1

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
As others have said, most will be worthless, it would be impossible to predict and the exceptions will look something like this:

car_depreciation_classic_appreciation.jpg

There will be a long period where the watch is next to worthless and then will appreciate, mostly based on demand in the vintage market. So, no affordable will really "hold its value", but they may gain a new value as a vintage piece far in the future. Example: Go on ebay and type in vintage diver. You'll see a bunch of brands you've never heard of at prices around $200-$1000. Most certainly weren't $200-$1000 when they were released in the 1970's (A Submariner was priced at $225 in 1968).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts