WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am comparing the Enineer III Marvelight To the Engineer M Marvelight, the Engineer III seems to have thicker tubes but I don't know about the different Tritium markings on the dial. Which is brighter?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am comparing the Enineer III Marvelight To the Engineer M Marvelight, the Engineer III seems to have thicker tubes but I don't know about the different Tritium markings on the dial. Which is brighter?
The "T" rating has nothing to do with how much Tritium is in each tube. It measures the total amount of Tritium radiation within the watch. In fact some countries outlaw T100 for example.

So basically A T100 watch will be brighter than a T25 because it has more Tritium in it. Not because the tube itself is brighter than a same color tube found in a T25 watch.

·
Registered
31,261 Posts
So basically A T100 watch will be brighter than a T25 because it has more Tritium in it. Not because the tube itself is brighter than a same color tube found in a T25 watch./QUOTE]

Nice.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Ball's T rating is actually between 25 - 100 for the aggregate of all the tritium, GTLS, markers.

So a watch with a T rating may come in at 30, not that much brighter than T25, or it may be closer to 100. Most of the time, watches with the T rating are closer to 100, and so quite a bit brighter than a T25 rated watch, as in the case of a Spacemaster X-Lume or Engineer II Dual Time.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ball's T rating is actually between 25 - 100 for the aggregate of all the tritium, GTLS, markers.

So a watch with a T rating may come in at 30, not that much brighter than T25, or it may be closer to 100. Most of the time, watches with the T rating are closer to 100, and so quite a bit brighter than a T25 rated watch, as in the case of a Spacemaster X-Lume or Engineer II Dual Time.
That makes sense, so chances are the Engineer M Marvelight would be a fair bit brighter than the Engineer III M Marvelight

·
Registered
923 Posts
Re: Which are brighter, Ball watches marked with "T25" or simply just "T"?

Two of my Ball watches side by side for comparison. One is labeled as T25 and one is labeled as T. I'll leave it to you to decide which is which, or whether it really matters.

·
Registered
639 Posts
What really seems to matter most of all is color. Green is thr brightest color visible to the human eye and is why Ball uses mostly green tubes.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts

This is correct--T25 represents the aggregate of anything UP to 25, while T and T100 both are used to represent anything FROM 25 UP to 100. The tubes themselves are uniform in diameter, but vary in length, and some are used as pips, standing upright, such as in many watches in the Trainmaster series. Those that look boxlike are enclosed in cases, similar to florescent tube lights enclosed in plastic light fixtures. Luminosity is measured using a relative scale, and since green is the most easily perceived, green is given a rating of 100%, yellow at 80%, blue or white at 60%, pink or orange at 40% and red at 20%.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think also there is a legal aspect to this as well as different countries have different laws related to tritium. For example, all the Ball watches sold in Japan are T25, if they are not marked T25 then they can't be serviced in Japan due the legal regulations here.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Interesting in that the Ball tritium approach supplies a longer-lasting "glow," but not as intense as Luminova or the Super Luminova. I don't
know if I will be a Ball owner long enough to find out how long they will glow.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting in that the Ball tritium approach supplies a longer-lasting "glow," but not as intense as Luminova or the Super Luminova. I don't
That's if you take the effort to fully "charge" the superluminova, I really have never been impressed with it.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
That's if you take the effort to fully "charge" the superluminova, I really have never been impressed with it.
I agree--Superluminova of course works for a few hours, but really, you probably have an idea of what time it should be for the first hour or two after you have entered darkness anyway, so that isn't all that impressive--it is much later into the night or the darkness that the real value of tritium shines through (for as many hours, days, weeks, months or years that you are in the dark).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,272 Posts
I agree--Superluminova of course works for a few hours, but really, you probably have an idea of what time it should be for the first hour or two after you have entered darkness anyway, so that isn't all that impressive--it is much later into the night or the darkness that the real value of tritium shines through (for as many hours, days, weeks, months or years that you are in the dark).
Great explanation and a nice chart @timefleas.

·
Premium Member
23,272 Posts
Which are brighter, Ball watches marked with "T25" or simply just "T"?

It will keep glowing.

The reason you think super luminova is intense is because you only see it for the first ten minutes. Leave the two watches on the counter and check back in 5 hours’ time.

My wife’s Ball Watch is nearly 10 years old and it still glows.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts