WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a relatively inexpensive, classy, minimalist automatic chronograph. What are my options?

S

·
0 Posts
Victorinox-Swiss Army watches, more information available here and on our "Affordables". The Archimede Flieger Chrono is a very nice chrono, but I don´t know if this will fit your budget.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
What's your budget? You say "relatively inexpensive", this can be a wide range... depending on income or other things.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's your budget? You say "relatively inexpensive", this can be a wide range... depending on income or other things.
I have no budget. Well, I do... but I don't know what it is =) I understand automatic chronographs are more expensive than most quartz, mechanical and automatic (non chronos). But I don't know what they prices start at.

Can one be had for $500? Can one be had for $1000? $2500? $5000?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have no budget. Well, I do... but I don't know what it is =) I understand automatic chronographs are more expensive than most quartz, mechanical and automatic (non chronos). But I don't know what they prices start at.

The best chronos for me:

TagHeuer Carrera (black one)
Oris TT3 Limited

Good luck :)

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Hamilton is a great way to go. Also take a look at the new Archimede Chronograph. It falls into the Affordable category.

I really like the crown.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts

Yes, you can find several <$500 that are terrific buys. There are several threads about the Swiss Army - Victorinox 9G-600 with the Valjoux 7750 movement in them on this forum and the Affordables forum.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am planning (very far ahead =)) into the future. So I would prefer a <$1000 watch, Swiss-made, and keep it in my family for decades to come.

That Tag is beautiful... I love Porsche!

·
Registered
147 Posts
The Archimede is definitely worth consideration, retro styling with
great German quality; and a good Swiss movement,
I am more than happy with mine.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
And it is a really good price.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Actually I'm going to "up the stakes" a little.

I'm looking for a ALL-SWISS, automatic chronograph for ~$2000USD new price.

My favourite so far is the TAG Heuer Carerra Tachymetre that's hanging a little over my budget.

Honorable mentions include the Tissot Le Locyle ~$900 and the Victorinox 9G-600 (can't find a price right now)

There are also the Russian ones, but I'm not so sure I want a Russian timepiece as my family heirloom hahaha

//edit: just saw the Oris TT1 Chrono... ~$1500. nice!
//edit2: actually i'd like one with a sapphire back so i can admire the fine insides! does anyone make an automatic chrono that has a see-through back?

S

·
0 Posts
Actually I'm going to "up the stakes" a little.

I'm looking for a ALL-SWISS, automatic chronograph for ~$2000USD new price.
Well, here we go (all up to 2000 USD)

Hamilton Jazzmaster, Hamilton Khaki Navy. Mido All Dial ref. M 8360.4.C8.11, Mido Commander ref. M8885.4.11.81, Maurice Lacroix Pontos. Zeno watches offer some nice priced chronos too. Fortis Flieger chrono ref. 597.10.11, Oris William F1 chrono.

Sinn offers a wide range of chronos if you´d like a German timepiece with a swiss heart, e.g. Sinn 103 or Sonn 356 Flieger.

Should be enough for a first teaser!

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Go german and get a dc56 or 57.
At 2k you can just about get the dc66.
You'll never regret a Damasko.
Search the forum for threads.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
*falls over*

Wow.... there are so many awesome choices between 1000-2000! How am I ever going to choose?!

I think I'm not a fan of the german styling. Damasko and Archimede are nice but not really my thing. They are too... utilitarian. I want something more fancy and elegant. I wouldn't mind Sinn though... but I may just stick with Swiss watches.

Mido All Dial is another one I'm quickly falling in love with. What I saw from Zeno is pretty breathtaking too.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
How about Maurice Lacroix. They make some really nice watches and this one falls into your price range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you checked out Accutron? They have a model that meets all of your specifications. The VX200 is about $800. http://www.gemday.com/item1107.htm

They also have the Gemini for around $600, but it only comes with a leather band. http://www.gemday.com/item0403.htm

If I didn't already have the Tag Link Chronograph on order, I'd be seriously considering these two. I only discovered them after I pulled the trigger and they seem to be very well made and a good value to boot!b-)

Good luck with your search.

Randy

·
Registered
850 Posts
Since you are new to collecting...I wouldn't worry about the "heirloom" thing...it will get you in trouble.
If you stick with collecting, your tastes will evolve far more than you could ever guess...even in a year or two.
I suggest you get something you like Now, and don't get too esoteric, so you can flip it later. Don't forget that the watch you pass-down is not the one you are wearing now...it will be the one you were wearing before they plant-you-in-the-ground.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Are you still looking for 'minimalist'? If the German brands aren't to your liking, have you thought about an Omega Speedmaster? Excellent reputation and heritage. Many people would call the Speedmaster the standard against which all other chronographs are measured (that whole NASA thing, you know).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts